Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sun block

Options
  • 28-05-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering what sun cream people find good for children? I'm going away for the summer and the one thing I'm dreading is the sun cream application every hour or so! I was going to buy 'p20', but there seems to be bad reviews on that lately. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Afaik P20 used to have no UVA protection so check that out and they come in spf 20 and 10 which only gives you an extra 20 or 10 mins on top of your normal 'burning time'- if you're worried I'd ask in the chemist which one is best but personally I'd go for a factor 50 for kids, hat and t-shirt, stay out of the sun at it's hottest point and remember to re-apply

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to the pharmacist Le Roche Posay is usually what they recommend,the boots own brand stuff has good uva and uvb protection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Buy the highest SPF you can find,plus dress children up as much as you can with light,loose clothing.Tanned skin is damaged skin,after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I like the puiz bruin all day 30 spf.. I have red heads so the sunburn thing is a major hassle. Hats light but long sleeves and i try to keep them indoors between 12 and 3 pm. . i know it's not always practical, but i know how easily i burn and i know they'd be the same.
    The only thing with the P20 is its a pain to apply. It's liquid it has to be put on 90 mins before they go out in the sun, but it is good. Unfortunately a few years back they changed the recipe and it doesn't agree with the girls skin anymore.

The way you calculate your sun protection is, your burn time multiplied by the spf so if you burn in 10 minutes and you put factor 30 on it's 300 minutes of protection., or 5 hours but you have to factor in repeated use or not if it's an all day one... all day would mean 5 hours and not literally all day ;)

An interesting fact(or useless:D) in australia you cannot buy above factor 30. A young girl died of rickets(?) there a few years ago from lack of sunlight(vitamin D) provided by factor 50 that her mum put on her all the time...
    hope its some help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Parasol is a good alternative to P20 http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=412&loc=P&catid=30.0.5

You only need to apply about 20-30 mins before going outdoors so much handier. With my lady its up, washed, parasol, then clothes a min or two later. By the time breakfast is done we're good to go :) You only really need to reapply after a swim I find.

Goes without saying about sun hat, maximum clothes coverage etc. obviously too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I disagree with buying the highest spf as uva protection is important for kids too.
    To the best of my knowledge and I am no expert spf only measures uvb protection.
    Depending on the country of origin there are legal requirements about what the highest spf rating that sun cream can be given in some it is 30 and in some 50.
    A pharmacist will know and be able to tell you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We have about 8 different bottles of sun cream in the house but I think they're all French brands. I can give you the names of the best ones when I get a chance if that's any use to you. Sun cream is the single worst thing (maybe the only bad thing!) about summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey thank you all for your replies, I apologise in my delay with getting back to you.

I really like the sound of the p20 or parasol, but is p20 only spf 20? that sounds like a stupid question, but how would spf 20 be good for kids?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

www.cancer.ie has advice on staying safe in the sun.

You can never be too careful with children's skin.
    Enjoy your summer.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

i use factor 50 on my girl......i mostly used boots own brand which i find good and my mom always bought them when we were going on hols.

we are heading on hols in 2weeks but i didnt get boots this time i got nivea and all them brand names because they are all on offer in dunnes at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

m'lady wrote: »
    Hey thank you all for your replies, I apologise in my delay with getting back to you.

I really like the sound of the p20 or parasol, but is p20 only spf 20? that sounds like a stupid question, but how would spf 20 be good for kids?:cool:

I know the parasol 'kids' version comes in at least a 25+, but the regular parasol you can get in spf 50. I reckon 25/30 is fine for most places, definately in Ireland anyway! If you are worried you could reapply more often to be sure. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll go factor 50, as we will be in very hot country! Thanks again.

Advertisement