Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 or Android

Options
  • 29-05-2011 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Didn't really like the windows phone me brother has. That was an older windows though not 7. Wildfire s has a fairly good camera on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

seanybiker wrote: »
    Didn't really like the windows phone me brother has. That was an older windows though not 7. Wildfire s has a fairly good camera on it.

Older Windows CE phones have nothing in common with Windows Phone 7 - completely different OSes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The camera on the HTC HD7 is acceptable (from my point of view of course) and I use it quite a lot for photos of our young fella (6 months now!). The main advantage of the camera app on Windows Phone 7 handsets is that you only have to hold the camera button (even if phone is locked) to get to the camera app. And obviously uploading to Facebook / Flickr etc can be done straight from here as well. This is how we shared the first photo of our son and it worked beautifully! Could never have relied on my old windows mobile phone, but the new WP7 is far far better. The built in LED flash on the HD7 helps indoors. But honestly if you wanted the very best mobile phone camera right now you should go for a Nokia smartphone. Big problem there however is that the software pretty much sucks ass, and is being discontinued by the end of the year (to be replaced by WP7 OS matter of fact).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yes to both counts. We have to bear in mind that this OS isn't even a year old yet, where Android is at its 3rd major revision and iOS is about to enter its fifth! WP7 has had one minor upgrade with its first major one due in the autumn, in which custom ringtones will be possible. Truth be told, Android is the only one that offers convenient custom ringtones. iOS requires external sources (ie a PC and software) to do custom tones.

If you're willing to jailbreak your phone you can add your own ringtones, but honestly I haven't bothered since there're a few ringtones preloaded that I'm happy enough to use.

There is no MS-provided navigation app just yet (this is due in the Mango update which is still a few months away), but the Marketplace has it's own selection of third party turn-by-turn and mapping apps; this one is fairly new and has spoken directions, favourites, etc. I've been using it and it works well. For offline navigation you would need to jailbreak your phone to install Navigon Mobie Navigator, which is a great app and pretty handy if you're out of the country or don't have much data allowance. When WP7 first launched, GPS support was almost non existent, but there are great options out there now. And this will certainly improve with the Mango update (which will give developers far more options for their apps). EDIT: also, honourable mention for "Gmaps"; free Google Maps for your WP7.

Yup unfortunately the carrier can add delays, but in the last 2 updates the Irish operators were actually quite good about it; the US operators were totally useless and put it off for months. But they can only delay an update; eventually cumulative updates have to be rolled out to all WP7 handsets. And naturally those of us tired of waiting for an update can force an update using the shady practice of jailbreaking ;-)

Updates are applied to your phone without losing any data, by the way (ie no hard reset, unlike Windows Mobile).

I think the general concensus is that the Samsung Omnia 7 is one of the best WP7 phones (with an exceptional screen), and the HTC HD7 is good as well if you don't mind a slightly larger phone. The HTC Trophy is solid looking but I've never tried it out myself.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Nearly all of the reviews of the launch W7 line up gave the LG the nod as the best of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I've got the Optimus 7 and love it so far.
    Aside from calls and texts obviously, I mostly use it for Facebook, email, tweets, general web browsing and its now my MP3 player. I've also had a go at the maps from time to time and they get the job done. Xbox Live is also cool enough if your into games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Go for the LG! Its got some very handy LG custom apps on the market like panorma shot, and the camera isnt all that bad! It does good video IMO!

Also its very well built with the metal back and rubber plastic, and the screen is nice I think. The screen is better in the HTC, but the LG is faster due to the nand storage and has double the capacity I think. The LG has DLNA also which is handy for streaming to a laptop or DLNA compatible TV.
    The LG also has better battery life.

Its also much simpler to jailbreak than any other WP7 devices, and doing so carries no risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jailbreak and get cracked third party apps?

:D

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Jailbreak and get cracked third party apps?

:D

No, that would be unethical............
    yes

Advertisement