Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sucked into dublin

Options
  • 29-05-2011 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

is it me or everyone else, or is there no chance of getting out of Dublin, I'm 18 and have nothing no leaving, just the junior, cant get a job, on the dole, I have tried to get a job plenty of times and its just not happening serious it wrecks me head, I don't come from the niceist place in Dublin, people look at me and think, ah He's a scumbag. There is acctuly nothing to do in Dublin, i no people from other capitols around the world and they have well better times than us in this kip hole were we have no respect to rights or anything, i cant even walk down the road without being stoped by the garda and no, im not a drug dealer or anything im just a normal youngfella, back to the point there is no getting out of Dublin does anybody think we should stay in this **** hole, or get the f*ck out?
    I'd appreciate replies. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

GTFO OP. Ireland is so simple-minded and conservative. Flee this country and enjoy the world

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not do volunteer work ? it could lead to a job in the future, or do a course recommended by the social welfare to increase your chances of getting a job.....maybe even try sitting your leaving cert.

in Ireland getting/keeping a job is about 2 things:

1. How related you are to someone in the company !!

2. How qualified you are for the job

Was there a reason you didn't do your leaving cert ?

on a side note: How do you qualify for the dole if you have never worked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

GTFO OP. Ireland is so simple-minded and conservative. Flee this country and enjoy the world

yes quick get out while you still know everything:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

With only a Junior cert you really have a limited area of jobs that are open to you, most of these are unskilled, low paid and are the most effected by the recession. You need to either do the leaving or take some sort of adult education class.

What kind of jobs have you applied for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There is acctuly nothing to do in Dublin,

There is. You are 18, do you do any sports? Boredom will get you down if you don't stay active.

Your lack of education means you are going to have to work in a low paid job. Could you do waiting in the city center? Have you a good attitude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Go and do your leaving cert OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You will have no prospects anywhere with such little education. Nothing to do with your current location.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

go back and do you leaving cert. and get rid of the bad attitude

i have lived in my different capital city and Dublin is as good and as a bad as every other city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Do some sport, do a course or leaving cert, do some voluntary work but most of all, Lose The Bad Attitude. I can think of far worse Capitals than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Try and get into St. Patrick's Athletic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi OP,

as much as you might not want to...you should go do an adult leaving cert course..there is a few places to do it in Dublin. i did it myself when i was 19..took two years to complete it and while it wrecked my head it was worth it..your leaving cert is just the start...but it will be next to impossible to do anything without it these days..

you should enquire into whether you can keep your dole while you go back to do your leaving cert..i think it might be possible if your on the dole for over a year or two..

seriously its up to you to sort your life out. to obtain some level of success will require hard work, and its not Dublin that is your problem..its your lack of education and skills; your lack of ability to prove you can do a certain job or prove your commitment will render you unemployed in mostly any other city and you'll be faced with the same situation..

your only 18, your just a 2 year leaving cert behind most people your age..go sort it out..get your leaving and take it from there..sitting on the dole at 18 will not yield anything in the future.....

the reality for you is this: you are competing with 100s to 1000s of people for every job available these days. you can not prove you are the best person for the job with just a junior cert so it is probable you will remain on the dole for the rest of your life.

Nevertheless, you can change this with the right attitude.. you have experienced life from the perspective of being from a **** part of the city and being bored senseless on the scratcher.. this should drive you to do something about it..

+ everyone will respect your decision to go back to do your leaving cert...including employers!

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LostDubliner12

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There is. You are 18, do you do any sports? Boredom will get you down if you don't stay act

yeah ive been doing boxing the past couple of months cause i couldn't hack staying in me gaff all day,

and for everyone else i have been doing courses for the past two years, and the got me nowhere ha.

and ive been talking to someone in FAS about going back to do my leaving, so i hope that works out.

the point is i don't want to be sucked into Dublin like me Ma or me Da who just go to the pub everyday that do F*ck all, i want to find a nice place where ye can live, and have fun doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ado75

is it me or everyone else, or is there no chance of getting out of Dublin, I'm 18 and have nothing no leaving, just the junior, cant get a job, on the dole, I have tried to get a job plenty of times and its just not happening serious it wrecks me head, I don't come from the niceist place in Dublin, people look at me and think, ah He's a scumbag. There is acctuly nothing to do in Dublin, i no people from other capitols around the world and they have well better times than us in this kip hole were we have no respect to rights or anything, i cant even walk down the road without being stoped by the garda and no, im not a drug dealer or anything im just a normal youngfella, back to the point there is no getting out of Dublin does anybody think we should stay in this **** hole, or get the f*ck out?
    I'd appreciate replies. Thanks

You'll only get out what you put in. If your education is as poor as you say it is you may be limited in the types of job you can get abroad. You don't want to end up in really poor cockroach infested digs somewhere in London.

I grew up on a council estate so I have some feeling for where you are now. College education was not free when I left school and many things did not turn out the I wanted when I left school. I went to Germany through FAS - European employment service a.k.a EURES back in 1994 and got an apprenticeship in the chemical industry. I didn't finish it but the experience allowed me get a job back in Ireland where I saved for university. My point is that you need to think about what you want to do because there are different routes to a better life. Damn people around you who are your so-called friends or even your parents, you need to do what is right for you. There is no reason why you can't sit the leaving cert and go on to do something you want to do. If you have a secret desire to be a marine biologist there is no reason why you can't. I didn't start University until I was 22.

Regarding Dublin itself. As I said previously, I lived in an industrial city in Germany which was not too pretty but there was loads to do if you got out there to see what was going on. I've also lived and worked in New Zealand and Australia since I left college. While these places are great too there is a danger of seeing that the grass is always greener on the other-side of the fence. I think Ireland has as much to offer as any of these places.

I can hand on heart say that Dublin is a great city. It has all the culture that a capital city should have. It's small enough that you don't feel encircled by it. It has an amazing mix of coast, mountains, parks, museums and good public transport.

Where you live is about community and there are plenty of groups that need volunteers. You could even join the Army reserve. As well as being great fun and a way to let of steam it is also very useful when it comes to job references.

I'm doing the Dublin mountain trail next week, hopefully. A 52Km hike from Boharnabreena reservoir to Shankill - stunning views and the trail has been entirely laid and maintained by volunteers in the Dublin Mountain Partnership (just an example of things you can get involved in).

P.S. I spelled Despair incorrectly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

yeah ive been doing boxing the past couple of months cause i couldn't hack staying in me gaff all day,

and for everyone else i have been doing courses for the past two years, and the got me nowhere ha.

and ive been talking to someone in FAS about going back to do my leaving, so i hope that works out.

the point is i don't want to be sucked into Dublin like me Ma or me Da who just go to the pub everyday that do F*ck all, i want to find a nice place where ye can live, and have fun doing it.

Dublin has nothing to do with your parents spending their life in the pub, that's their choice,doesn't have to be yours.. As advised already,get an education, life is what you make it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LostDubliner12

Thanks lad's appreaciate the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

yeah ive been doing boxing the past couple of months

Good for you, could your folks afford you to train as a personal trainer? The Sunday Indo's Business section recruitment pages are looking for personal trainer. You could try and serve an apprenticeship? Keep an eye on the recruitment listings in the papers.

This issue has nothing to do with Dublin OP, you would be in the same situation in any city or town! I wish you the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Start up a punk band and channel all that anger into something positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 West Brit

Join the British army, you get to go to exciting foreign countries, meet exotic people and get to kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

West Brit wrote: »
    Join the British army, you get to go to exciting foreign countries, meet exotic people and get to kill them.
    STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Do the Leaving Cert. Pearse college among others do adult education classes for it.
    No need for school uniforms, or calling idiots "sir".

Check it out here http://www.pearsecollege.ie/adult_leaving_certificate.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

West Brit - Do not troll this forum. If you have nothing constructive to say - don't post.

mtb_kng - If you have a problem with a post use the Report Post function.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Holder

Dublin is not a hole.

Even with the worst areas in the city, there's far worse places in Europe, never mind the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Holder wrote: »
    Dublin is not a hole.

Even with the worst areas in the city, there's far worse places in Europe, never mind the rest of the world.

This is not a slag off Dublin thing. You can be down and feel left out in any town or city on earth. OP's problem is he happens to be in Dublin at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I like your attitude OP, you want something better.

You should really try and get the Leaving though, it'll lead to better things for you. Junior Cert only doesn't really cut it with the jobs market these days.

Best of luck, keep us posted. I left Dublin after living there 15 years, just had enough of it. I'm in Galway now, I definitely prefer it to Dublin but that's probably because I'm one of those 'inbred culchies'! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Lahm wrote: »
    Try and get into St. Patrick's Athletic!

Or St Patrick's Institution.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

West Brit wrote: »

Predator, is that you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

charlemont wrote: »
    Or St Patrick's Institution.:D

True.

They probably do woodwork courses and stuff in there!

Advertisement