Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started :) Would appreciate some advice

• 29-05-2011 4:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a bike this summer. Im turning 18 in two weeks and want to apply for the A license.
    First off is costs. I kind of want to have a fair idea of how much everything will cost me. Everything from insurance, Gear, etc.
    I know for definite that I want a sports bike. A Suzuki that caught my eye is 600cc. Is that too much for a beginner or what. Suggestions for nice bikes suitable for my level would be greatly appreciated.
    Finally, what are the rules like in comparison to cars. Such as a 6 month wait before the real test, that sort of thing. And do people ride around alone like a many learner drivers do here in Ireland ? Thanks for reading ! - Kev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Shiroki wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a bike this summer. Im turning 18 in two weeks and want to apply for the A license.
    First off is costs. I kind of want to have a fair idea of how much everything will cost me. Everything from insurance, Gear, etc.
    I know for definite that I want a sports bike. A Suzuki that caught my eye is 600cc. Is that too much for a beginner or what. Suggestions for nice bikes suitable for my level would be greatly appreciated.
    Finally, what are the rules like in comparison to cars. Such as a 6 month wait before the real test, that sort of thing. And do people ride around alone like a many learner drivers do here in Ireland ? Thanks for reading ! - Kev
    In a nutshell
    1.Theory test
    2.Learner permit
    3.16 hrs IBT (€400-500 approx)
    4.Insurance-varies-get on to the few companies that insure bikes)
    5.Gear-€500-1000 for reasonably good gear
    6. Bike-skys the limit
    IMO a 600 is a bit much to start on.This would have to be restricted to 33bhp anyway.
    And yes,cant do test until after 6 mths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Also, chances are, at 18, no company would insure you on a 600cc sportsbike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

What you want for a 1st bike is something reliable and cheap..

Relaiable.. 'coz you'll want to be on it morning, noon and night - not in ya shed fixing it.

Cheap.. I suspect next summer you'll want all your saved up cash for a bigger bike.

Don't think more cc's always means more fun too. There are some great small bikes.. Smaller is usually lighter too!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

you have the right idea going for a bigger bike and doing your A test but only if your lucky will one of the insurance companys will cover you on a 250cc sportsbike. maybe a 400cc if you beg them... unless you have very deep pockets then sure go nuts!

but i would estimate....

bike 1500 (for an older model)
    + restriction 100-300 depending if you can find a second hand kit.
    gear as was mention before 500-1000 for decent gear
    ibt 400-600 ish
    insurance on a sportsbike minimum i would guess is 1000 on a 250cc.

your better off going for a bandit 600 or a cb400 sf, something along those lines that wont matter when you drop them and insurance companies dont apply a stigma to them either. once you pass your test and you have a ncb the insurance companies might let you on a sports bike but it will still need to be restriction until your 2 years are up after your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Yeah I thought 600 would be a little too much :( But I saw this http://www.adverts.ie/car/other-aprilia/other-aprilia/aprilia/461355
    :D It's 125 and cheap enough too. By the way, when I said sportsbike, I meant like that style :S I dont think Im quite ready to hop onto an actual racing bike :P Is that one I linked any good ? Thanks :) Kev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Yeah I thought 600 would be a little too much :( But I saw this http://www.adverts.ie/car/other-aprilia/other-aprilia/aprilia/461355
    :D It's 125 and cheap enough too. By the way, when I said sportsbike, I meant like that style :S I dont think Im quite ready to hop onto an actual racing bike :P Is that one I linked any good ? Thanks :) Kev

Only thing about a 125cc bike is ya cant sit your Full A test on it,it has to be 150cc or bigger AFAIK, so you'll have to rent a bigger cc bike from an instructor when you eventually do the test.

Don't know what the Aprilia's are like tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

The Aprilia RS 125 is still quite a quick bike for it's size
    it's listed as Insurance group - 12
    MCN link to Aprilia RS 125
    some info
    not saying you would not get insurance on it just might be high/hard
    I'm looking at a KTM 690SM and it's only group - 11

Hmmmm I wouldn't mind borrowing a bike for the test. I really love the look of the bike itself :) What does the group 12 insurance mean ? And another question, Am I allowed to ride alone after the IBT or do I have to wait until after the full test ? Thanks for al this info guys. It helps alot :D - Kev

the aprilla is a lovely looking bike, but the problem with 2 strokes is there are more powerful then a four stroke so insurance will be higher, you could pick up a CBR125 for the same price (which is a 4 stroke), i started with a 08 model that cost me 1400 last sept, and because it's less powerful insurance companies will be happier to insure you.

i learned on the 125 and then did a lesson and rented a school bike for the test. and i passed first time so it's not hard to do and is a valid way of getting you "A licence" without burning too many holes in your pocket, then if you manage to not drop it you can sell the bike on a year later and get similar money for it.

the reason people dont suggest sports bike to begin with is when you drop the bike even if your just turning in the garden or forget the side stand (which i almost did last week) you can do alot of cosmetic damage to the bike, the fairings if badly damaged can look rubbish and are very expensive to replace.

it might not be our cup of tea but look at the honda Bros as an option, alot of them are learner legal and because they have clip on handle bars they feel and look a bit more sporty but have no fairings to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Insurance Groups are more of a UK thing but they give an indication on cost over here. The higher the number the higher the insurance.

As for riding by yourself on a learner permit, yes you can! Only need an L-Tabbard :rolleyes: Legally you cannot ride with a pillion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hmmmm I wouldn't mind borrowing a bike for the test. I really love the look of the bike itself :) What does the group 12 insurance mean ? And another question, Am I allowed to ride alone after the IBT or do I have to wait until after the full test ? Thanks for al this info guys. It helps alot :D - Kev
    I'd imagine a 125 is as high as you can go in sports bikes at your age. I'd recommend a hornet 250 or similiar to build up a no claims bonus and get your full licence, plenty of time for sports bikes in years to come.

Your as well giving Quinn a ring and find out what they'll insure you on. Have a shortlist of bikes you like made out before you ring them.

You can ride alone after the IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭Wossack

worth getting onto a few insurance companies and seeing if they'll insure you on any sports 125s - cbr125r, rs125, yzf-r125 etc

at 18, insurance wise, I reckon its all pie in the sky :(

it'll be mopeds, of the likes of the ybr125, cg125 etc. Happy to be proven wrong but best not get your hopes up..

The Cbr125 is pretty cool :) Although I honestly cannot see myself on a moped or a cruiser :/ If the insurance is sky high, I can always wait a little while to save the money, or maybe ask for some donations from the parents :P I'm gonna sit my theory test after my Leaving Cert and then do the IBT. When thats all done, I'll probably start shopping for bikes and insurance etc then. And I know what you mean about the fairings :( I know it's more than likely going to happen once in my life but if I do get a nice bike, I will treat it like a child :D ( And none of my friends will be getting a shot of it either ;) )

And should I be doing said shopping in shops or online ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Chances are very high that you will drop the bike as a learner.
    You would be a lot better off getting a naked bike like a CBR125 or even a 1/4 faired bike, they crash a lot better and if the wind blows them over they won't cost much more than a lever and indicator to repair.
    Fully faired bikes are expensive machines to drop, fairings are very pricey and sometimes hard to get for unusual machines.
    Those Honda Bros are amazing machines for the price. 1000 will get a good one these days and the build quality of the J-market stuff in the late 80s-early 90s was top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭Wossack

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Chances are very high that you will drop the bike as a learner.
    You would be a lot better off getting a naked bike like a CBR125 or even a 1/4 faired bike, they crash a lot better and if the wind blows them over they won't cost much more than a lever and indicator to repair.
    Fully faired bikes are expensive machines to drop, fairings are very pricey and sometimes hard to get for unusual machines.
    Those Honda Bros are amazing machines for the price. 1000 will get a good one these days and the build quality of the J-market stuff in the late 80s-early 90s was top notch.

cbr125 is fully faired - ye might have meant cg125?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

real men ride rs125's :cool:

just look at all the cool sh*t you can buy to make it faster...

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Aprilia_RS1252.html

as for expensive to repair, don't crash or drop it, its not rocket science.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2057989

I know that getting a naked machine is a lot more sensible and would work out cheaper but theres something about them that I just really don't like :( Hopefully I can work something out on the RS125 because that's still my favourite bike I've seen so far.

Does anyone know from experience what a high score in the Quinn assessment would knock of my premium ? It's included for free down in Waterford, and if it means I save then bring it on :P

Another thing was helmets. There seems to be a very broad price range on them. On adverts.ie alone, I saw helmets from 30 quid up to 600. Should I be spending that much on a helmet or am I paying for brand names and looks ?

Again thanks for this, all the advice is a huge help in getting my head around this :D

i wouldn't ever buy a second hand helmet off any site, no matter how many times they write up "not dropped".

alot of places will do you a good deal on helmets but it comes down to your on personal preference, i wouldn't let me GF on the back until she bought a decent lid, all helmets have to pass certain safety standards before they can be sold so even the cheapest helmet is somewhat safe but there is a big difference in comfort and quality of material and finish in the more expensive helmets and just because they all pass the same test doesn't make them equal. personally i would be thinking of spending €200+ on the helmet.. there will be varying opinions on this so it really comes down to your budget and how safe you want to feel while riding.

im out on the bike today and at the moment im sitting in my office in full leathers and and race boots... i only used the bike for 30 minutes in total so far but i dont feel happy on it unless i have cowhide between me and the ground, but there are tonnes of safe gear leather or textile at good prices if you shop aound and try stuff on and remember cash is king if your buying a dectend ammount of gear in one place you should be able to knock a bit off the price or get some small extras free.

As for bike shopping, adverts and donedeal are a good source for pricing bikes, but there is no harm in looking at local bike shops also see if you can get them down on price or up on extras like a better warranty or something for your money. Happy hunting!

Hahahahaha I can imagine myself in racing trousers walking around college :L Safety for me is key tbh Ill spend as much money as I need to feel safe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Just put your gear in a gym bag and carry that around college. It's what I do when driving to work. Get changed in a toilet :)

Advertisement