Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing gaps between window frames.

• 29-05-2011 8:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We just moved in to a penthouse apartment. One of the walls is just windows. I can see little gaps and sometimes a see through tiny holes between frames of each windows. When it's windy you can hear the noise and if you're close to windows you will feel cold air coming through those little gaps. On the outside everything is covered with some sort of metal siding.

Is there any easy DYI way to seal those gaps ? Or what would you recommend ? It doesn't bother us that much, but might as well think of that now rather than during the winter when things get worse.

Thank

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

There seems to some mistake been made when the windows where installed. Contact the apartment owner, the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

omri wrote: »
    Hi,

We just moved in to a penthouse apartment. One of the walls is just windows. I can see little gaps and sometimes a see through tiny holes between frames of each windows. When it's windy you can hear the noise and if you're close to windows you will feel cold air coming through those little gaps. On the outside everything is covered with some sort of metal siding.

Is there any easy DYI way to seal those gaps ? Or what would you recommend ? It doesn't bother us that much, but might as well think of that now rather than during the winter when things get worse.

Thank

could they be the in-frame trickle vents without the inner fittings: post a pic or 2

u need to be sure what they are first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

some photos, few from the outside and some from the inside

on pic 147 you can see a little dot of light which is simple a see through hole.

and few more

I'm not sure if going to landlord will have any positive result - unless it's not something substantial in terms of cost. I was thinking of using some sort of silicon to seal these gaps as the cheapest way to fix it. But I know nothing of windows so maybe it's a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

tks for pics, not trickle so get some coloured sealant in woodies, I would work from outside only, less obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 28 makon_mc

I don't think that sealant will help to keep your place warm in the winter time.
    Best to do is to inform landlord/ agency about this, and give them month notice time.

somebody really f*** their job.

But if you really want to stay there - get a expandable foam and a gun

FIXINGS_-_FISCHER_EXPANDING_FOAM_Fischer_Gun_Foam_Gun_All_Metal.jpg

I very much intend to stay there. Not sure of doing this on the outside as on the outside there is this metal cover of the window frames. No idea if I could take this off. So the only option for me is to a) inform the landlord and hope for the best b) seal it from the inside and hope that will do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Forget the foam. Or any other cure, that is. Someone installed the wrong windows. As these are for internal use only, from room to room. Or from hall to stairs.

At least there should be an U-shaped moulding (PVC, aluminia, stainless steel)covering the two frames, creating 1 unit. This moulding should be equipped with perma-flexible rubber sealing strips for wind and water tightness.
    As the windows are now they can't be right.
    Water penetrating the gaps will stay there for a long time due to the capillar effect of this gap. Causing damage to surface and timber.
    Note the easy job for burglars as well, a saw-wire ("angel hair"?) can easily be brought though the gap and handled without problem.
    No reason to smash the glass when the bolts and hinges can be cut silently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

heinbloed wrote: »
    Forget the foam. Or any other cure, that is. Someone installed the wrong windows. As these are for internal use only, from room to room. Or from hall to stairs.

At least there should be an U-shaped moulding (PVC, aluminia, stainless steel)covering the two frames, creating 1 unit. This moulding should be equipped with perma-flexible rubber sealing strips for wind and water tightness.
    As the windows are now they can't be right.
    Water penetrating the gaps will stay there for a long time due to the capillar effect of this gap. Causing damage to surface and timber.
    Note the easy job for burglars as well, a saw-wire ("angel hair"?) can easily be brought though the gap and handled without problem.
    No reason to smash the glass when the bolts and hinges can be cut silently.

I Don't agree with heinbloed that these are internal windows, as they are clad externally in what appears to be Aluminium. There are some European and US window systems which are like these, and for external use.....I do agree that there should be a coupler between each frame, but not all systems use this....Some systems have each frame screwed together and use a strip of timber (internal) and Alum ( external) to cover up the gaps. Check with the landlord who fitted the windows and ask if these strips are available, they will just be applied with glue, not great but better than at present,...avoid the foam gun, that will open the gaps and make it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I agree with HB. Someone really F****ed up big time. My advice is to get out ASAP. No one should have to live in a building that has openings to the elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

does the dot of light on picture 147 correspond to the hinge on picture143 if it does there is a break in the weather strip where the hinge has been fitted. if it is this , open the window and put a piece of masking tape on one side of the hinge and a bead of silicon on the other close the window and leave it for a few days to harden open again and the silicon will stick to the hinge and pull of the masking tape .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

omri wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank

I would put it down to bad workmanship. If you where to silicone the gaps inside and out (which is what the company will do if called back) then this will stop the breeze coming through.

Advertisement