Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dimmer switch kitchen not working

Options
  • 29-05-2011 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi, Dimmer switch in my kitchen switches lights on and off when it's pushed in but doesn't dim the lights at all. Removed the switch and there are 2 brown wires and a neutral connected. The 2 browns are connected to L1 ans L2 and the blue wire is connected to "C" ...Is it wired up wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi, Dimmer switch in my kitchen switches lights on and off when it's pushed in but doesn't dim the lights at all. Removed the switch and there are 2 brown wires and a neutral connected. The 2 browns are connected to L1 ans L2 and the blue wire is connected to "C" ...Is it wired up wrong?

Did it ever dim them, or have you just fitted it and it did not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

just moved into the house and found it was like this :(

If the blue is connected to the c then its likely not a neutral. With L1 and L2 both being used it sounds as if there are 2 switching points in the kitchen for the same lights? Its hard to say without seeing it, but the dimmer part of the switch may not be working.

Yes there are two seperate switches at either end of the kitchen. Is there a diagram I could go by...I'm handy enough with schematics. :)

If you can switch the light on with the dimmer, and off at the other end, then back on with the dimmer, then back off at the other end, then both switches are wired properly.

Once thats established, then try this. Switch light on with dimmer, and try to dim. Then switch light off with dimmer.

Now switch on with other switch, and go back to dimmer and without pressing dimmer to switch light off, just turn dimmer knob and see if this dims. If it does not dim at any time, new dimmer needed.

And get new dimmer, just turn off power or MCB for lights, confirm the kitchen ones wont switch on, and replace dimmer, one wire at a time.

If you dont require a dimmer, just get a 2 way switch and replace. Terminals will be the same.

• Advertisement

cheers for that rob :)

Advertisement