Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ps3 media server help!!!

• 29-05-2011 9:58am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a small bit of help with this odd problem.

Here goes.

For the last few years Iv been using wireless on both my pc and ps3 and have had no problems streaming stuff to the ps3.

Last week I bought a couple of 200mbps home plugs since the wireless was always a bit flaky on that crappy epc modem and I got a upc upgrade a couple of months back and wasnt getting full speeds through wireless.With the homeplugs the speed is full speed (20mb) wireless I was getting 10-14mb

So heres my setup.

Upc modem and pc are connected by the homeplugs.Ps3 is still connected wirelessly to the network.

Ps3 media server wont work like this..It will work if I connect all 3 through wireless or all 3 through ethernet but as soon as I connect the pc and router throught the home plugs (or a long ethernet cable for that matter) and the ps3 wirelessly the media server stops working.

Has anyone got any ideas??Been pulling my hair out all week over this.

Seems to me that either the ps3 or media server doesnt like the mix of wireless and ethrnet on the home network.

Anyone got a similar setup working ie homeplugs and wireless?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

i have my ps3 connected through ethernet and the laptop is wireless, the odd time i connec the laptop through ethernet aswell and it doesnt make any difference to the media server

i use ps3 media server and its really simple with no setup required, just start the server and turn on the ps3 and your ready to go

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

guil wrote: »
    i have my ps3 connected through ethernet and the laptop is wireless, the odd time i connec the laptop through ethernet aswell and it doesnt make any difference to the media server

i use ps3 media server and its really simple with no setup required, just start the server and turn on the ps3 and your ready to go

Guil.

Media server is working but not with the way I have my network setup ie homplugs connecting pc and router and ps3 connecting through wireless.

My pc and upc router are hard wired and my ps3 is wireless (opposite to you)

Media server has been working 100% and will still work as long as everything is either wired or wireless but not a mixture of both.Im stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

what media server are you using, have you tried any others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Have a look at the software for your homeplugs. My ones had an option to only allow other homeplug clients see them. It is under the privacy function. It may have been under creating a logical network ?

My own setup is router and PS3 connected to homeplugs and PC is still wireless. I can see the PC from the PS3 no problems with various media servers. not sure if i did anything to the firewall.

It's been a while since I did this, but have a closer look at your homeplug software.

Advertisement