Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless modem

• 29-05-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I currently have 12Mb broadband and rang UPC to order a wireless modem. I was told that it would be €49 for the modem and an extra €10 a month for use of the wireless modem. Is this correct as I wouldn't have thought using a wireless modem would incur an extra monthly fee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

lockup35 wrote: »
    I currently have 12Mb broadband and rang UPC to order a wireless modem. I was told that it would be €49 for the modem and an extra €10 a month for use of the wireless modem. Is this correct as I wouldn't have thought using a wireless modem would incur an extra monthly fee?

No, its a once-off fee.
    Just an FYI - the wireless modem they would provide for your package is the Cisco EPC2425. Its a very sub-standard modem in regards the performance of the wireless.

I'm assuming you have the Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem - in which case, it would be more beneficial for you to keep that, and get a wireless router yourself, which would provide better WiFi performance, and possibly be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

I'm about to sign up to 12mb with upc! Would I be better to purchase my own router then? If so which is considered best for the same price? 50 notes.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm about to sign up to 12mb with upc! Would I be better to purchase my own router then? If so which is considered best for the same price? 50 notes.

try to get the Scientific Atlanta 2203 modem and provide your own wireless router. Sometimes called a cable router, the one that has an Ethernet input.

Better solution all round than the Cisco EPC2425 as it's a piece of crap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I bought a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND for just under 50€. I'm delighted with it.
    Plenty of others availible though, such as this:http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/10021181/Linksys_Wireless_N_Home_broadband_Router/WRT120N_EW/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'd ask for a modem only install and wait until you actually get it installed before you fork out for a router as if they don't have any standalone modems they will give you a wireless router anyway, which depending on what stock they have could be the thompson router they give out with the 50mbps & 100mbps which will do you fine.

i had a mate who just ordered 10mbps a few months ago and all they had was the thompson, so they installed that for him, job done. :)

i've also heard that stocks are low of the crappy cisco anyway, and the scientific atlanta epc2203 is like gold dust these days, so you never know your luck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

They sent me out a spare scientific atlanta by accident (epc2203). Is there anyway I can use this in conjunction with my cisco or spare belkin to boost the signal about the house?

Advertisement