Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone replacement

Options
  • 29-05-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Got into the iPhone game late, as I picked up a 3G last year. Had Sony Ericsson phones before that, but nothing like an iPhone / smartphone.

Anyways I'm finding the 3G too slow these days, and am considering an iPhone 4 or a smartphone. I'm fairly clueless with regards smartphones, haven't a clue what to look for, etc.

I use my phone mainly for texting and surfing the web (facebook, YouTube, the usuals) as well as for satnav. Up until now I've only used wifi for surfing due to cost , I'm meteor PAYG) so might consider using 3G on the move if it's not too expensive.

Should also mention, part of wanting to move is not having to deal with iTunes, it drives me mental. Downside is I've a few paid apps that I would lose if I switch.

What would be a comparable to iPhone 4 handset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

3G is best on bill pay as it's cheaper but I know O2 have a good offer of 700mbs for 9.99 per month on pre pay and Three have the best bill pay data offer with essentially unlimted data for 40 euro per month on an 18-24month contract (Depending on device you buy).

A comparable device to the iPhone would probably be an android device such as the samsung galaxy s2 or the htc desire S.

If you're considering switching network get a free pre pay sim and test the signal where you live work and play. Usually the sims are free but vodafone charge 10 euro for a pre pay sim but you get 10 euro credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hey all.

Got into the iPhone game late, as I picked up a 3G last year. Had Sony Ericsson phones before that, but nothing like an iPhone / smartphone.

Anyways I'm finding the 3G too slow these days, and am considering an iPhone 4 or a smartphone. I'm fairly clueless with regards smartphones, haven't a clue what to look for, etc.

I use my phone mainly for texting and surfing the web (facebook, YouTube, the usuals) as well as for satnav. Up until now I've only used wifi for surfing due to cost , I'm meteor PAYG) so might consider using 3G on the move if it's not too expensive.

Should also mention, part of wanting to move is not having to deal with iTunes, it drives me mental. Downside is I've a few paid apps that I would lose if I switch.

What would be a comparable to iPhone 4 handset?

Sticking with Meteor, they currently have the Samsung Galaxy S, Galaxy Ace, HTC Desire S, HTC Desire, Sony Arc, Sony Play, HTC Trophy and Samsung Omnia. Those would be the main iPhone competitors (bar the Ace, but that's half the cost of nearly all the others).

All are available on PayG, but it may be cheaper to go onto something like Smart 35 which would give you 200 mins/texts, free Meteor and 1gig data. Again, depends on your usage, but if you want to use data out and about, it would currently cost 20€ a month (@ 69c per day for 50mb)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

chrislad wrote: »
    Sticking with Meteor, they currently have the Samsung Galaxy S, Galaxy Ace, HTC Desire S, HTC Desire, Sony Arc, Sony Play, HTC Trophy and Samsung Omnia. Those would be the main iPhone competitors (bar the Ace, but that's half the cost of nearly all the others).

All are available on PayG, but it may be cheaper to go onto something like Smart 35 which would give you 200 mins/texts, free Meteor and 1gig data. Again, depends on your usage, but if you want to use data out and about, it would currently cost 20€ a month (@ 69c per day for 50mb)

Cheers. It seems the HTC Desire comes very highly recommended? What's the major differences between HTC and Samsung when it comes to performance?

Vodafone said they'd take my 3G in and give me €200 off an iPhone 4, which seems pretty decent... would a move to O2 or Vodafone be worth it?
    I currently spend €20-30 a month on credit with Meteor PAYG, with €20 of it providing me with a months free texts to all networks. So I mainly text, with small bits of calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You should wait for a couple of days :) Galaxy S2 launched today. Phone shops will start selling them tomorrow i presume. Meteor will announce pricing in a couple of days.

You get free Google Maps Navigation with that or you can buy an alternative :)

You should go for Bill Pay Smart. The offer now is that you can go for Bill Pay Smart 35 for 30E a month for 12 months. 200 mins/texts and 1GB of data and Free C&T's to Meteor.

If you go to a shop just ask them to avail the online offer. I took it out myself in a meteor shop. But carphone warehouse can do it as well :) If they dont wanna do it go to a different shop. Cause it will save ya a good bit over time.

Or you could just order online and when you get your phone and sim just ring up customer care and ask them to port your account to your current number.

But as i said ;) wait for a couple of days or a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Switch to 3pay, when you top up by €20 you get 3,000 any time any network texts, 3,000 any network weekend minutes and you get €10 free credit at the end of every month that you have topped up by €20 or more in one go in. So your total credit goes to €30. Then spend €10 to get 1GB of data, so the only thing you have to pay for are weekday calls and you still have your €20 for that.

I'd highly recommend this windows phone 7, the LG Optimus 7 it's €399.99 in Carphone warehouse locked to Vodafone but follow the steps in this thread and you can get it for €193.80 unlocked to any network, its Vodafone branded though. There's a VF logo on the box, a VF app pre installed and a VF theme set but you can throw out the box, delete the app, and change the theme and then delete the VF theme, so you have an unbranded, high powered windows 7 smartphone for Half the price of an average smart phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hey all.

Sorry to drag this up again, but I'm back in Ireland and am still looking into what to get. The front runner seems to be the Samsung Galaxy S2.

As above, my main uses are calling, texting, browsing, and satnav use. After that some light app usage. So What's likely the best phone and best plan? I'm planning to stick with Meteor, I've been with them about five years and haven't had any complaints.

Advertisement