Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A week in Clouds

Options
  • 29-05-2011 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭

I've put together a short animation of global cloud movements over the last week.

Watch out for Udo as it crosses Ireland and the more potent Typhoon Songda in the Pacific

Clouds27-29May2011.gif
    Still images courtesy of NEMOC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

Like your animation Fionagus. It explains all the green bits on Planet Earth.

For any one interested in different types of clouds, a few piccies here. (Click on slideshow)

http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/index.php?showimage=7686

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It explains all the green bits on Planet Earth.

Is it possible to get the same type of map showing the green bits/arid areas but dating from the 50s/60s. I'd be interested to see how much the Sahara has expanded in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Is it possible to get the same type of map showing the green bits/arid areas but dating from the 50s/60s. I'd be interested to see how much the Sahara has expanded in that time.

doubt it. First Satellite in orbit was October 1957.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Here are a couple of papers that deal with the expansion/contraction of the Sahara from 1980-97.
    Hopefully they will have some interesting info :)

Advertisement