Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My "Rational" Ghost theory

Options
  • 29-05-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

As space-time has been demonstrated as being prone to flux ,specifically by forces of gravity, what people are seeing are anomalies in time i.e. the apparition is real but the witness is observing an event in the right place at the wrong time.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How do you intend to go about testing this theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ado75

kylith wrote: »

I'm building a time thingamajig as we speak. Don't tell anyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't worry, your secret's safe with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

kylith wrote: »

He could test the capacity of the flux with a flux capacitor

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

This concept is known as time-slip.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ado75 wrote: »
    As space-time has been demonstrated as being prone to flux ,specifically by forces of gravity, what people are seeing are anomalies in time i.e. the apparition is real but the witness is observing an event in the right place at the wrong time.

My fundamental physics isn't as strong as it could be, but i'd say it's actually MORE likely that these people are seeing lost souls wandering aimlessly. And that is saying something!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That's if apparitions are even real which i really doubt they are ;) . If someone sees an apparition or even if i saw one i'd be straight around to the doctors for a health check and eye test. ;)

My fundamental physics isn't as strong as it could be, but i'd say it's actually MORE likely that these people are seeing lost souls wandering aimlessly. And that is saying something!:D

The only lost souls I know of are members of Fianna Fail. And seeing as though there is no evidence for souls in the first place :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The only lost souls I know of are members of Fianna Fail. And seeing as though there is no evidence for souls in the first place :eek:

Wouldn't it be great if there was no evidence of the existence of Fianna Fail:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

when I saw rational and ghost in the same sentence I lol'd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Of course, anyone can theorise about this topic at any time. Isn't a more reasonable explanation that our brains are capable of conjuring up images which we know are not fully real, but which our brains convince us are partly real?

Of course, none of us knows the answer, but is timeslip really more likely than our brains misleading us?

So you're saying it's more likely to be a brainslip than a timeslip? Hmmm it'd be interesting to figure out once and for all which form of slip is the culprit.

Most of us have dreams which are incredibly realistic, and even day dreams. Which is more likely, that our brains are also capable of helping us "see" ghosts, or that the ghosts we are seeing are "real" and are only able to be seen due to some for of timeslip?

If you judge it might be due to the latter, how can it be explained that quite often only one person out of a group of people claim to have "seen" the ghost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

That isn't a particularly rational theory, such a "flux" in time would require a ridiculous amount of energy to generate, if it didn't vapourize the Earth we would certainly have all felt it.

The most rational explanation is that people who see "ghosts" are being confused by tricks of light or the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I read a while back (sorry genuinely can't find the link) that neuroscientists had found evidence of 'Sight echo'. A process where by the brain 'sees' a diluted impression of something that passed through the visual cortex previously. Given that the brain has a habit of 'joining the dots' where insufficient information is available to rationalise in this environment its hardly surprising people might call such an occurance a ghost sighting.

Wicknight is also spot on about the amount of energy required to created any sort of noticeable time 'dilation'. Other commonly known phenomenon such as mass hysteria also play a big role IMO. Just have to look at some of those dumb tv shows to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

Please share any progress you made over this experiment to cheer us. :)

To me it will for sure get us answer to something unexpected...:eek:

Wicknight wrote: »
    That isn't a particularly rational theory, such a "flux" in time would require a ridiculous amount of energy to generate, if it didn't vapourize the Earth we would certainly have all felt it.

Show me the physics, because that statement is as random as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Ado75 please go off and read up on general and special relativity and then come back and tell me if you think Wicknight is incorrect. He is correct (except the bit about vaporised! Crushed to infinitely small would be more exact)

Random? The energy requirements for a wormhole are well known, in fact if I understand correctly a worm hole requires negative energy (the energy equivalent of anti-matter), making it creation even more difficult.

http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Tech/Space-Time/wormholes.html#3

Random? The energy requirements for a wormhole are well known, in fact if I understand correctly a worm hole requires negative energy (the energy equivalent of anti-matter), making it creation even more difficult.

Oh God! Time worms, it's worse than I thought. Maybe if I take enough of that spicy drug stuff I'll understand. They have really blue eyes you know.

• Advertisement

Oh God! Time worms, it's worse than I thought. Maybe if I take enough of that spicy drug stuff I'll understand. They have really blue eyes you know.

Ummm, how about you work on that a bit, and get back to us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The only reason i believe in ghosts is because once i saw what can only be described as a ghost with my brother one night, he saw the very same thing as i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

zero19 wrote: »
    The only reason i believe in ghosts is because once i saw what can only be described as a ghost with my brother one night, he saw the very same thing as i did.

No other possible explanation? What did you see?

rossc007 wrote: »
    No other possible explanation? What did you see?

I've been waiting to learn the anawer to that for a while now, but no answer comes.

I wonder has he been abducted by aliens to prevent him divulging what happened, or perhaps they have revisited him and erased it from his memory?

Seriously, tho, I wonder why he is so reluctant to share his experience?

easychair wrote: »
    I've been waiting to learn the anawer to that for a while now, but no answer comes.

I wonder has he been abducted by aliens to prevent him divulging what happened, or perhaps they have revisited him and erased it from his memory?

Maybe he just hasn't checked this thread since?

Standman wrote: »
    Maybe he just hasn't checked this thread since?

Or maybe its those pesky aliens again.

If he doesn't want to say, then its not for me to judge. Would be genuinely interested to hear what has convinced him though.

rossc007 wrote: »
    If he doesn't want to say, then its not for me to judge. Would be genuinely interested to hear what has convinced him though.

You are judging that its not for you to judge?

You are judging that its not for you to judge?

In accordance with my rights :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

This is more in the realm of parallel universes and the multiverse. If something is seen my multiple people at the same time, then you can say with more certainty that something has really appeared/happened.
    Doesn't mean it's a ghost though.

Advertisement