Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Memories

Options
  • 29-05-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

When I was young my dad would treat my mom real bad. Everytime our footy team would lose, he'd start drinking and I'd start thinking how am I going to keep my mom from getting abused. I'd see her all scared and my soul was dying my dad would turn to me and say don't you dare start crying.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

And how did that make you feel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

When I was young my dad would treat my mom real bad. Everytime our footy team would lose, he'd start drinking and I'd start thinking how am I going to keep my mom from getting abused. I'd see her all scared and my soul was dying my dad would turn to me and say don't you dare start crying.:(

Darren Ferguson posts on boards.
    Who would have thunk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

mikom wrote: »
    Kai Rooney posts on boards.
    Who would have thunk it.

I NO RITE?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

... my soul was dying ........

Posting this in AH, the notorious playground of the satanist/Darwinian fanboy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

When I was young my dad would treat my mom real bad. Everytime our footy team would lose, he'd start drinking
    that's why i think that both sport fans as well as religious people are a threat to the healthy part of society and should be avoided at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Similar experiences myself.

Slightly different in that there was/is a lot more arguing when ****ed. You learn to block it out and get on with it. And the abuse was more psychological - from BOTH sides.

A combination of two parents whose lives didn't turn out perfect and alcohol is a bad situation for a child to be in. It did make me vow to never drink around my kids when I'm older (I rarely drink anyway)....oh and to never raise a hand to any of them. Drunk men don't know their own strengths. Wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

This . Sigmund Freud will be along shortly ...

Latchy wrote: »

I'm a firm believer that people who dealt with stuff (maybe not child abuse, rape or anything) when younger can become stronger in adult life.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that people who dealt with stuff (maybe not child abuse, rape or anything) when younger can become stronger in adult life.
    Something I would go along with myself ,why carry it around with you if you can offload it which is why thousends of people go for therapy and counselling to deal with unpleasent aspects and memories in their lifes .

Something I would go along with myself ,why carry it around with you if you can offload it which is why thousends of people go for therapy and counselling to deal with unpleasent aspects and memories in their lifes .

Exactly. If someone decided to see a counselor they shouldn't be put in the bracket of a 'looney'.

Wouldn't be for me (don't need it) but I certainly wouldn't take the pi55 about the subject. In Ireland, mental health seems to be the big fat awkward elephant sitting in the corner bobbing it's head to ****ty music because nobody wants to talk about it. So posting pictures of old psychologist office furniture is a bit... meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Take it to All Things Retro --->>>>

Exactly. If someone decided to see a counselor they shouldn't be put in the bracket of a 'looney'.

Wouldn't be for me (don't need it) but I certainly wouldn't take the pi55 about the subject. In Ireland, mental health seems to be the big fat awkward elephant sitting in the corner bobbing it's head to ****ty music because nobody wants to talk about it.
    This is AH which is why it's best starting threads as such in the forums designed for more serious topics such as PI but that not to say you ,I ,we cant put some humor into psychoanalysis which believe it or not also plays a part in therapy .

It always has being an awkward elephant in Ireland but more and more countrys are waking up to the time bomb that is mental illness and the ' loony ' concept of seeing a counselor is very outdated although some people stuck on a groove will always see it as such .

Edit- The OP's story of how his dad treated his mother is terrible but OP never asked for anybody to share their own expierences which leaves the topic open to various forms of opinion , both light hearted and serious .

Thing is this is AH and you are always going to get some piss taking or light hearted banter which is why it's best starting threads as such in the forums designed for more serious topics such as PI but that not to say you ,I ,we cant put some humor into psychoanalysis which believe it or not also plays a part therapy .

It always has being an akawrd elephant in Ireland but more and more countrys are waking up to the time bomb that is mental illness and the ' loony ' concept of seeing a counselor is very outdated although some people stuck on a groove will always see it as such .

Edit- The OP's story of how his dad treated his mother is terrible but OP never asked for anybody to share their own expierences which leaves the topic open to various formS of opinion , both light hearted and serious .

But your friend Freud said "The Irish are the one race which psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever". :D

But your friend Freud said "The Irish are the one race which psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever". :D
    He did indeed .;)

Sigmund Freud was born May 6, 1856, in a small town -- Freiberg -- in Moravia. His father was a wool merchant with a keen mind and a good sense of humor. .

^ Must have been some Irish blood in that mans veins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's your own fault for putting your mother on the footy team in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

F*cking Freud. What a tosser - bunch of unverifiable nonsense about wanting to shag your ma, and how everything looks like a penis.

Wish he was still alive so I could kick his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Fremen wrote: »
    F*cking Freud. What a tosser - bunch of unverifiable nonsense about wanting to shag your ma, and how everything looks like a penis.

+1. Load of shyte dreamed up by a coke head.

Meee...if he bothers you that much why don't you go find his grave and piss all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Meee...if he bothers you that much why don't you go find his grave and piss all over it

My psychoanalyst told me not to.

Also:
    You can't spell psychoanalyst without "anal".

Load of ol anul tbh ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm sorry to hear that. It's obvious your father wasn't a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Always a one sided story
    could you not tell us about the times your footy team won and how your dad would bring you to McDonalds and give ye cuddles and lots of nice things

If the OP wants serious replys to this topic then I suggest he start thread again in Psychology or Personal issues to avoid any confusion .

A lot of his stuff is very respected today - including the five stages of development which you cast aside in your post.

It was early days for researching psychology. Give the guy a break. It formed the building blocks for modern psychology and is still highly relevant - if a little 'wishy washy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A lot of his stuff is very respected today - including the five stages of development which you cast aside in your post.

It was early days for researching psychology. Give the guy a break. It formed the building blocks for modern psychology and is still highly relevant - if a little 'wishy washy'.

This way please. I think you'll find it is much disputed these days, with other approaches taking precedence. Piaget would have been more accepted in terms of child development.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

That's because we're the one race in the world who can write off a perfectly logical psychoanalysis (that doesn't suit us) as "ah sure that's a load of balls anyway I was only havin' a laugh like!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

leggo wrote: »
    That's because we're the one race in the world who can write off a perfectly logical psychoanalysis (that doesn't suit us) as "ah sure that's a load of balls anyway I was only havin' a laugh like!"

Funny thing is, there is no evidence that Freud ever said this about the "Irish".

http://www.freud.org.uk/about/faq/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sergeant wrote: »
    Funny thing is, there is no evidence that Freud ever said this about the "Irish".

http://www.freud.org.uk/about/faq/

I remember hearing it was Anthony Burgess* speaking about Freud that said it.

*No relation to Georgie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Psychology as a whole is a bit 'wishy washy'. Not exactly a science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

My father used to tell me being gay was bad but lying was worse, I thank God I have a curable curse.

Advertisement