Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 50Mb With Win XP

• 29-05-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I'm thinking of upgrading from 20mb broadband to one of UPC's bundles,namely the 50mb package with phone and tv,however in the "what do I need" tab it states Windows 7 or higher*I'm using XP here and wonder if I can actually avail of the broadband upgrade using my present operating system?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If UPC says that, then they're spouting crap. Anything with a TCP/IP v4 stack will do, which includes as far back as Win 3.11 if you install one of the available third party ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

cbr900 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of upgrading from 20mb broadband to one of UPC's bundles,namely the 50mb package with phone and tv,however in the "what do I need" tab it states Windows 7 or higher*I'm using XP here and wonder if I can actually avail of the broadband upgrade using my present operating system?

Spear is absolutely correct - that 'need' specified by UPC is utter rubbish..

You'll be fine with XP, it's well capable of 50Mb & far higher...

Its a real sign of lack of quality & true 'engineering' experience when you hear of their install 'engineer's asking if you have Windows 7 when they've been calling out...

I upgraded from 30Mb to 100Mb & almost the first thing the engineer asked was if my equipment was 'up to it' & if I had a Win 7 PC / Laptop. I did so it was fine but I also use a laptop with Win XP & its also fine with the 100Mb :) ...

What a load of bulsh*t! According to UPC, you cant get their 50Mb+ broadband if you use Linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What a load of bulsh*t! According to UPC, you cant get their 50Mb+ broadband if you use Linux?

I am not too sure about Linux, but definetly will work with xp. I'd imagine that they put stuff like that in their conditions so if anything goes wrong they can say it is your spec and not their fault.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I am not too sure about Linux, but definetly will work with xp. I'd imagine that they put stuff like that in their conditions so if anything goes wrong they can say it is your spec and not their fault.
    Most Linux versions would have no problem dealing with that speed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

speed is ALL hardware related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

cbr900 wrote: »

I got it over the weekend and I can confirm it works fine with XP, Vista, Windows 7, PS3, iPhone and iPad :)
    If your device can get onto your network, you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...maybe what they should say is that they won't support XP if you have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

Thanks for your input guys

Advertisement