Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you want Joey Barton at your club?

• 29-05-2011 1:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Joey Barton is to put it mildly a very decisive character. He is very talented no doubt but with him comes a lot of baggage to a club, apparently too much for Newcastle FCs board to want to offer him a new contract. Some would tell you he has somewhat mellowed in the past year or so while others will point to numerous incidents including him punching Pederson (just an example) even this year as why he would be an unwanted influence at a club and a potential liability. However would you want him at your club?

most recent rumour has him potentially moving to Liverpool for 3.5m considering he only has a year on his contract which does not seem ike it will be renewed. hense the reason why they along with Newcastle have individual options in the poll

Would you want Joey Barton at your club? 336 votes

Yes (Man Utd / Arsenal / Chelsea / City Fan)
    0% 0 votes
    No (Man Utd / Arsenal / Chelsea / City Fan)
    12% 43 votes
    Yes (Liverpool fan)
    34% 116 votes
    No (Liverpool fan)
    9% 33 votes
    Yes (Spurs / Everton / Villa fan)
    17% 58 votes
    No (Spurs / Everton / Villa fan)
    4% 14 votes
    Yes (Celtic / Rangers fan )
    4% 16 votes
    No (Celtic / Rangers fan )
    2% 10 votes
    Yes (Newcastle fan)
    2% 7 votes
    No (Newcastle fan)
    3% 13 votes
    Yes (Other, please state)
    0% 3 votes
    No (Other, please state)
    6% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

He is not a bad player, under a good manager he would work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

No, he isn't good enough. If it was an average club like Liverpool then yes :P

He has grown up a bit I reckon so he would be worth the gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Joey Barton is to put it mildly a very decisive character.

He certainly knows how to make up his mind on things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ah yeah, he'd be good craic like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Yes, I'd love him at Liverpool

I understand people's reluctance to have him at their club, but only if its based on what he did years back. There's no excusing what he did, but he was punished and he did his time

He's kept out of trouble now for about 3 and a half years, despite being in the subject of constant provocation both on and off the pitch. This to me suggests he's changed

You can point to the Pederson 'punch' or a few bad tackles, but these are minor incidents, stupid acts alight, but none displayed the viciousness of his previous assaults. I don't think a weekend of football passes in the EPL without tackles or incidents which are worse then these occurring involving other players. As I've said numerous times on the Liverpool thread, if these are the worst incidents you can find of Joey Barton over the last three years, he's been well behaved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

3.5 mill would be a steal. He's a far more accomplished all rounded midfielder than Adam is imo and you know he'd hit the ground running compared to a foreign signing who could take a while to get used of the prem style.

Also going by his new twitter account he's surprisingly more intelligent than your average footballer or I gave him credit for. Quite knowledgeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yes, bizarre as it sounds I think he'd be the type to rally the troops when the chips are down on the pitch. He's a leader, and I'm not sure if we have enough of them at Anfield right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Hopefully he won't be going anywhere and that a resolution will be reached between the board and his crew.
    Barton has no intention of leaving NUFC, and keeps reminding himself, and everyone else that he owes us for the patience we had with him throughout his troubled career.

It would be only right that he plays his best football in a Newcastle United shirt, but knowing our board; there's every chance that he could be ushered out before his contract runs into it's final year.

I would certainly be very disappointed if he left, mainly because this season he has been one of the best midfielders in the league, and is showing why we paid £5.8m for him those years ago.

• Advertisement

If he kept himself in line then Yes, he would be a good addition to most teams in the league.

He seems to have matured a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

100% yes at the prices quoted. He's had a very good year at Newcastle, and I think he's ready to win at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Just plain no.

I'd take him at Liverpool on a shortish deal, 2 years maybe 3 at a push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Joey can you feel the love? Tricky to know where he'd play in a LFC team even with a few sold on (ie Cole and Poulson).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Why are liverpool fans saying yes:eek:, has he been linked to ye or something:eek::o

No for me, he is just trouble on and off the field, he is a ok player but he is bound to cause trouble sooner or later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

No, Fulham fan. Would see him signing as going against our ethics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No way I'd want him anywhere near my club. He has always been trouble and he has been given many chances. I remember him thumping Pedersen in the gut with so much venom only a couple of months ago which proved this guy hasn't changed one iota.

I have to say I don't get why the voting is split the way it is. Liverpool and Tottenham belong in the top group with City, United, Spurs and Arsenal. I can understand maybe Everton being on their own as they are kinda like stuck there as just below the top but always ahead of the rest. Villa should be in the others and I think its unfair and pointless asking Newcastle fans the question.

Celtic and Rangers should be in the other too.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No way I'd want him anywhere near my club. He has always been trouble and he has been given many chances. I remember him thumping Pedersen in the gut with so much venom only a couple of months ago which proved this guy hasn't changed one iota.

You're making it into something it's not. It was a dig yeah, but there was nothing vicious in it, it certainly wasn't full force or anything close

I agree he's been given plenty of chance's, but IMO he's taken his latest one

• Advertisement

tommyhaas wrote: »
    You're making it into something it's not. It was a dig yeah, but there was nothing vicious in it, it certainly wasn't full force or anything close

I agree he's been given plenty of chance's, but IMO he's taken his latest one
    No he didn't just tap him, there was real intent.

That clip is depressing.

Why are footballers complete pussies ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I have to say I don't get why the voting is split the way it is. Liverpool and Tottenham belong in the top group with City, United, Spurs and Arsenal. I can understand maybe Everton being on their own as they are kinda like stuck there as just below the top but always ahead of the rest. Villa should be in the others and I think its unfair and pointless asking Newcastle fans the question.

Celtic and Rangers should be in the other too.

Joey Barton is not going to Spain but I couldnt rule out the old firm if he's cheap so i gave them an option. He has most recentre are the othersly been linked to Liverpool and there is a lot of talk of him in their superthread so I gave them an option. He is a newcastle player so I gave them an option, The top 4 simply by being the top 4 are easily seperated from the herd so i gave them a catagory and finally Spurs/Villa/Everton are probably the next biggest teams all minus european football for next season though and since I didnt want too many options i grouped them together and added the others catagory for folk like yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Would love to see Barca sign him as he reckons he is a world class midfielder.:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As a Villa fan I wouldent want him at Villa personally. However if he was signed id accept it and think that he could turn out to be a bargain but of course think that could would be the most important word in that sentance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

He wouldn't be an improvement on anything we have so no.

No he didn't just tap him, there was real intent.

Look at the clip of the incident with Barton in Liverpool. That was an attack with venom and intent. The Pedersen incident though was just handbags

I'm not condoning it, it was stupid, but it certainly wasn't vicious, Pedersen made a meal of it, you're making too much of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

He's a good player and puts in a good delivery of the ball from wide areas. think he'd be an asset for Liverpool squad tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

As a Galway United fan my answer is yes. Quality is hard to come by these days.

• Advertisement

Look at the clip of the incident with Barton in Liverpool. That was an attack with venom and intent. The Pedersen incident though was just handbags

I'm not condoning it, it was stupid, but it certainly wasn't vicious, Pedersen made a meal of it, you're making too much of it too
    Well I seen it at the time and there is an angle that shows you it was a lot worse than the angle you see in that clip. There was an intent to hurt Pedersen there and that shows that Joey Barton hasn't changed at all. I was one that said he should be given a chance because some of his stuff was drink related and if a person with problems is willing to stay away from it then there is a chance that he can overcome his problems. He has showed since that time that it doesn't matter so for me he has been given that chance and failed miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If his off-field antics were truly behind him, then definitely. I'm just not so sure that they ever will be though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I can't stand the man, but he's exactly the type of midfielder we need at the club so if he was willing to come to Sunderland then I'd definitely say yes.

The hierarchy at Sunderland would never, ever sanction such a deal though and I can totally understand that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Well I'm a Sligo Rovers fan so.... Yea? Why wouldn't I. He's an excellent player who has matured a bit but he'd still need a very firm manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Can't understand why Liverpool fans are turning their noses up at him at the prices quoted. The modern game is as much about building a squad full of relaible, versatile types as it is signing the likes of Aguero or Hazard.

Barton on twitter explaining the contract situation
    Joey7Barton Joseph Barton

I cant sign a contract if am not offered one?

I will tell all when the time is right, basically they want a younger, better, cheaper player............cant blame Mike and Derek can you?

.......slight problem is, they dont want to spend any money or pay any wages. Its genius really ha ha

In fairness to Cashley, you can't fault his logic. Replace existing players with players who are younger, better and cheaper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Barton on twitter explaining the contract situation

In fairness to Cashley, you can't fault his logic. Replace existing players with players who are younger, better and cheaper...

Those kind of players wont be joining Newcastle any time soon, even IF we were keeping our best players. The guy is delusional

M5 wrote: »
    Those kind of players wont be joining Newcastle any time soon, even IF we were keeping our best players. The guy is delusional

Yea was tongue in cheek. So much for reinvesting the Carroll money in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

flahavaj wrote: »
    Can't understand why Liverpool fans are turning their noses up at him at the prices quoted. The modern game is as much about building a squad full of relaible, versatile types as it is signing the likes of Aguero or Hazard.

Why are you targeting Liverpool here out of curiosity , oh wait i know why.

Hoki wrote: »
    Why are you targeting Liverpool here out of curiosity , oh wait i know why.

Because I've had this discussion with Liverpool fans on here and many are opposed to him signing. Because 16 have voted no in the poll, whereas I think he'd be very good for ye.

Sorry if that makes you feel like I'm "targetting" you.

Good to see the old paranoia and sense of injustice is alive and well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, Fulham fan. Would see him signing as going against our ethics.

Winning?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think barton would improve every squad in the league apart from maybe chelsea

so dont know why most fans are turning their noses up at the prices mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think barton would improve every squad in the league apart from maybe chelsea

so dont know why most fans are turning their noses up at the prices mentioned

It's not his ability that has people saying no I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

JPA wrote: »
    It's not his ability that people saying no I'd say.

I know this but a lot of footballers are no angels and at the prices mentioned he could be a bargain

I was also replying at this post aimed at liverpool fans tbh
    flahavaj wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looks like he is going to be available on a free.
    LukeEdwardsTele Luke Edwards
    Barton released on a free is my information #nufc
    CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin
    by LukeEdwardsTele
    #NUFC officials met Joey Barton this morning and told him he can leave on a free transfer. Club statement to follow.

Barton himself said he will make a statement on twitter at 4pm.
    Joey7Barton Joseph Barton
    I will be making an announcement regarding my future, on here at 4pm today........

Opr

I have a feeling Fergie might well make a move. Could do far worse on a free tbh.

Would love to see him at Liverpool, he'd offer great cover across a number of positions at the very least. I think he'd add to any top 4 team though, I'l be sick if he goes to Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You put Spurs in the Villa and Everton category despite finishing above Liverpool 2 seasons running and barr United having the best wingers in the league?

Bizzare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Joke shop. :mad::mad:

Officially available on a free now. Will be fascinated to see where he ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

He's an Evertonian. If we offer a decent contract, surely he'll sign. Come on Kenwright, make it happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement