Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you want Joey Barton at your club?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He mentioned that Enrique's comments would only be the tip of the iceberg if he was to comment on what's happening. Sad to see at such a big club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

L'prof wrote: »
    He mentioned that Enrique's comments would only be the tip of the iceberg if he was to comment on what's happening. Sad to see at such a big club!

Not sure if you're being serious or not with your "big club" comment. We're not. Big fanbase, big stadium but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

@OptaJoe
    Opta Sports
    0% - Newcastle's PL win percentage without Joey Barton in the team during 2010-11, compared to 34% when he played. Available.
    29 minutes ago via TweetDeck

proof of how much of a good asset he would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Getting him on a free would be ok I think.He could certainly add to the midfield and Fergie has a history of getting the best out of fairly bonkers players.

Going to be interesting.WTF are Newcastle thinking though?:confused:

If they wanted rid then transfer list him for a couple of million,it really is an astounding move by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Michael Owen and Joey Barton could discuss Newcastle horror stories on the bench together next season.

Michael Owen and Joey Barton could discuss Newcastle horror stories on the bench together next season.

Nah. Joey would actually get a game. And rightly so.

After hearing Joey Barton - a decent English player - is available, Liverpool have tabled a £30million bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I would not want barton anywhere near chelsea, he is a decent footballer but I would never be able to warm to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nah. Joey would actually get a game. And rightly so.

That would ruin my joke at Newcastle's expense :pac:

But seriously, he'd get a fair bit of game time like all midfielders at United.

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I would not want barton anywhere near chelsea, he is a decent footballer but I would never be able to warm to him.
    Chelsea have enough insufferable mugs already. Let Everton have this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

flahavaj wrote: »
    I have a feeling Fergie might well make a move. Could do far worse on a free tbh.
    Joey barton shouldnt be allowed put on a united jersey in the megastore,let alone play in one. Absolute toerag.

Marco85 wrote: »
    Joey barton shouldnt be allowed put on a united jersey in the megastore,let alone play in one. Absolute toerag.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

under a good manager he would work

Like who Don King? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

A good interview with Barton, he speaks honestly about the mistakes he made and IMO comes across as someone who is making an honest effort to turn things around, as his recent good behaviour has proved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How much of the Carroll money has actually been spent?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    How much of the Carroll money has actually been spent?

Not enough.

Pardew has "marked our cards" for those trying to do the maths. :rolleyes:

Even though we've got the Carroll money, we should be taking that as a bonus and adding it to a transfer kitty that should be in place.

We've spent €5 million on Cabaye and the rest have been free agents. Agents fees between Ba, Abeid and Marveaux can't be that high.

The money is "being put back into the club" according to Llambias and since then we've bought no players but they did put undersoil heating under the training pitch.

It's a strange way for a club to be run.

MUSEIST wrote: »

Haha good one, Chelsea and morals, brilliant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

THFC wrote: »
    You put Spurs in the Villa and Everton category despite finishing above Liverpool 2 seasons running and barr United having the best wingers in the league?

Bizzare.

not sure if you actually read the OP of the thread from a few months ago but Liverpool where at the time the team most strongly linked to Barton. Plus your talk of United having the best wingers in the league is an odd one cos despite him being capable on the wings he is also a very good (having played there more often throughout his career) CM and thats an area united need... although united diod not get a individual vote option either.

him being free does not change my opinion although it might change the opinion of some cash strapped managers / chairmen. I'd prefer to not have Joey Barton at Villa but if he was signed id support him and just hope he doesent F up again because he could be a great asset for almost any club in the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Joey7BartonJoseph Barton

One day the board might realise, what the shirt signifies. HONOUR and PRIDE. Thanks for your continued support........... #toonarmy

40 minutes ago

Joey7BartonJoseph Barton

I am on a free but the honour of wearing those B+W stripes, surpasses that

42 minutes ago

Joey7BartonJoseph Barton

Somewhere in those high echelons of NUFC, they have decided, I am persona non grata.

45 minutes ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd take him in a heartbeat tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

That_Guy wrote: »
    L'prof wrote: »

Not sure if you're being serious or not with your "big club" comment. We're not. Big fanbase, big stadium but that's about it.

Of course I'm serious, in terms of yer fanbase ye have to be regarded as a big club, but in a different way than the likes of City & Chelsea obviously. It was sad to see ye being relegated and it's sad to see the likes of Ashley & co doing their best to feck things up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Marco85 wrote: »

so was roy keane. plus he's a better player than michael carrick, would be a better option than playing giggs through the middle imo. On a free transfer it'd be worth the risk, even if it's not working out he could be sold on after a season. not to mention he's probably the best english midfielder.... :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Leeds, yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Voltwad wrote: »
    After hearing Joey Barton - a decent English player - is available, Liverpool have tabled a £30million bid.

No it's Aquilani's fee + £10m as that's how they operate these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd have him at United, yes.

I'd sell my mother into slavery to have him at Rovers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Barton playing for Newcastle this evening,Song had a dirty stamp on him as he was on the ground,I feel it might have been a red had it been the other way around.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

zerks wrote: »
    Barton playing for Newcastle this evening,Song had a dirty stamp on him as he was on the ground,I feel it might have been a red had it been the other way around.:rolleyes:

The only reason Song didnt get a red was because the referee didnt see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Barton centre of attention again-he got a 'haymaker':D from Gervihno for hauling him off the ground after a dive by the Arsenal striker-result Gervihno sent off and a yellow for Barton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Barton even managed to get a match thread shut . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If my club was about to be bombed off the face of the earth, then yes, I would want Joey Barton at my club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

zerks wrote: »
    Barton centre of attention again-he got a 'haymaker':D from Gervihno for hauling him off the ground after a dive by the Arsenal striker-result Gervihno sent off and a yellow for Barton.

Don't really blame him on this occasion.

There is nothing worse in the game than diving - absolutely sick of it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

First of all I wouldn't be a 100% confident it was a dive and besides that there is no reason to lay hands on the player and especially not in that manner.
    I would have sent both off tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He spent more time yesterday fixing his 'quiff' then doing anything constructive :rolleyes:

In my opinion Barton deserved a yellow - I know others don't hold that view. Would I like him at Leeds? Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

But Barton dived aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

and what does he end up doing.....taking a dive. The moron probably doesn't even see the irony.

Gervinho didn't even dive, he was clearly clipped.

el dude wrote: »

Barton didn't even dive, he was clearly slapped... :pac:

I think ref was correct to not award the penalty but Gervinho unquestionably accentuated the fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

el dude wrote: »
    and what does he end up doing.....taking a dive. The moron probably doesn't even see the irony.

This is from his Twitter:
    If i stayed up or went down its not relevant, raises his hands off. I was merely highlighting he struck me. Song stamped should of been seen

Seems QPR are in talks, him and Warnock would be interesting.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That could be a lot of fun actually.

Really hope he doesn't go there. Still think he'd be a great signing for Liverpool, Utd or Arsenal

Galvasean wrote: »
    That could be a lot of fun actually.

Smart signing for them though, could be the difference in helping them stay up. Warnock was quoted as interested in Joe Cole as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

he wont go to a top team, he aint good enough qpr wolves or someone like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

West Ham fan, no, too much of a disruption.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

As a supporter I hope "we" get him.
    I can't help but feel he's boxing clever though, and this'll surely force a bigger (middling) club to come in for him.
    Villa are reported to have bid £3.5m for Darron Gibson... with Barton a free transfer they'd have to be mad.

I'd be more interested to see how he'll get along with stroppy showboater Adel Taarabt, than Warnock though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Would be step doen for him though surely. His agent was banging on about CL clubs a few weeks ago. Even if that was bullsh*t he's surely be able to do better than QPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd take him at Villa on a year's contract. We need someone who can replace Petrov who can't hack 90 minutes anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Squelchy wrote: »
    As a supporter I hope "we" get him.
    I can't help but feel he's boxing clever though, and this'll surely force a bigger (middling) club to come in for him.
    Villa are reported to have bid £3.5m for Darron Gibson... with Barton a free transfer they'd have to be mad.

I'd be more interested to see how he'll get along with stroppy showboater Adel Taarabt, than Warnock though.
    Having his medical now. Very good buy for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This is great, Barton was saying he wants to go to a champions league team but no one will touch him, even on a free transfer. So at 29, his last big contract, he ends up at QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Sky are reporting that QPR have offered him 80 grand a week, surely thats not gonna exactly make him many friends in the dressing room??

• Advertisement
Advertisement