Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you want Joey Barton at your club?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Bump

Groundhog day for Joey. SSN reporting that QPR are set to release him on a free. Third time he's been released in the last few years, I think he might be trouble

Anyone like to see him at their club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would be interesting if the poll was reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

The thing is, he is actually a fairly ****e player, his passing is nowhere near Premier League standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Darth Vader

Hannibal Lecter----The Joker
    Norman Bates

The Riddler
    Joey Barton

Frank Booth----Keyzer Soze
    Jason
    Tommy DeVito

Freddy Kreuger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Send him over to Borussia Dortmund, sure, Juergen Klopp will deal with him :D

But honestly, if he goes to another country, fresh start, maybe that will change his attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah I think he would provide good cover for Kevin Dawson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Darth Vader

Hannibal Lecter----The Joker
    Norman Bates

The Riddler
    Joey Barton

Frank Booth----Keyzer Soze
    Jason
    Tommy DeVito

Freddy Kreuger

I think he would get on well with the Riddler and they would make a good midfield partnership. Both mentally unstable and both think they are alot cleverer than they really are. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Still wouldnt take him at Chelsea even if he was free. He justcomes with too much baggage and would disrupt the squad sometime down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Owen_S wrote: »
    The thing is, he is actually a fairly ****e player, his passing is nowhere near Premier League standard.

He is definitely a Premier League standard midfielder, I assure you of that.

There's a good bargain to be picked up here by someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

As much as I've changed my opinion and would hate to now see him at Liverpool, I completely agree with you, and I would still maintain that he would have represented better value then Charlie Adam for Liverpool last year. Not just in terms of cost, but also what he would have added on the pitch particularly during Lucas's absence

He may also have avoided some of the controversy he found himself in, and I'g guarantee with all his Hillsborough campaigning, coupled with the backs against the wall mentality developed by Liverpool last season during the Suarez affair, he'd be a fans favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Tell me of another Premier League standard midfielder with a pass completion rate as woeful as Barton. His nationality and media attention have inflated his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Owen_S wrote: »
    Tell me of another Premier League standard midfielder with a pass completion rate as woeful as Barton. His nationality and media attention have inflated his reputation.

He was England's best midfielder last year :D

Joey Barton: Forget Barry, Lampard and Gerrard - I'm the best midfielder

Newcastle playmaker Joey Barton has launched an astonishing attack on England players Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, insisting that he's the most talented England midfielder.

Barton has been in a good run of form for his club having scored eight goals this season in all competitions, but many will still be surprised at his claim and how dismissive he is of some of the country's most highly regarded footballers.
    In his scathing attack he labels Manchester City player Barry as a 'teacher's pet' and intimates that his agent is the driving force behind his success.
    'Barry's got a very good agent. He's also discreet and always agrees with the manager,' he told French magazine So Foot. 'He's like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly don't lose any sleep when I play against him.'
    He added: 'Did you see the game against Germany at the World Cup? If you watch the fourth goal, when [Mesut] Ozil was up against Barry, it was like the hare and the tortoise.'
    That quote alone would be enough to get Barton spread across the back pages, but he was just getting warmed up.
    Next, he sets his crosshairs on a few more famous midfielders – internationals who have played in World Cups and won Premier League and Champions League titles – and Barton rates himself above every single one of them.
    He said: 'Honestly, I think I'm the best [English midfielder]. Luka Modric and Samir Nasri are very good, but in terms of English players... well, Jack Wilshere isn't bad, but Frank Lampard's on the way down and Steven Gerrard's been injured a lot.'
    Finally, Barton spells out that unless the FA modernises the England team's set-up and tactics, then the national team won't win a World Cup for the next 200 years.
    He said: 'The people in charge at the FA played football maybe 50 or 60 years ago and still think that we can win a World Cup in the same way we did in 1966.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Seems his Marseille move has fallen through and QPR are making him train with the kids now. Been frozen out of the first team and could be in a bit of a pickle if he doesn't secure a move within the next few days. He's been expressing his views on Twitter again.

Joey Barton claims his reported move from QPR to Marseille has fallen through.

The 29-year-old QPR midfielder is currently without a squad number at Loftus Road having been served with a 12-match Football Association suspension following his sending off at Manchester City last season.

Manager Mark Hughes also stripped the one-time England international of the captaincy and, as a result, talk of a surprise move to France surfaced.

But it now appears the transfer may have hit the rocks after Barton tweeted on Tuesday morning: "Doesn't look like this Marseille thing is gonna happen now. 'Whatever doesn't kill you make you stronger' #heartbroken.

"Why can't things just be simple..."

Having criticised Hughes and been ostracised from the first-team squad, former Manchester City and Newcastle man Barton will now return to training with Rangers but he could find himself in further hot water after adding: "Been forced to go back training with the kids and fellow Taliban members at 2pm today...

"Maybe this is time to dumb down and be dishonest. It seems to take you a long way in this game... "

QPR have declined to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd personally take Joey at my club. Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Been forced to go back training with the kids and fellow Taliban members at 2pm today..."

Oh Joey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That_Guy wrote: »
    "Been forced to go back training with the kids and fellow Taliban members at 2pm today..."

Oh Joey.

He really needs to step away from the computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Time and time again I was on the " A he will knuckle down this season and do it".

The horrendous thing is that he is the type of player that is in such high demand. He has is a good passer of the ball and distributor, he is a good tackler, he has a great engine. He can easily slot into the box to box or DM role and is intelligent in how he uses the ball.

But time and time again he has just let himself slip into the void and has become an untouchable.

When watching him at City ( and I took a fond interest in him) he looked like he was going to the top. While he has gained some plaudits for his "new"attitude, and to be fair he calls alot of stuff like I see it, its another carnival surrounding an already dangerously toxic individual.

Can't help but think he could have been a genuine top 4 regular. I think he can do a job , but as he is closing in on 30 ( correction if wrong) he really only has one move left, and imo he wont get a PL club to take him.

If I was a newly promoted or struggling PL side I'd take him on a one year contract, with some serious stipulations in relation to conduct. At some point he needs to realise that he has one chance left..

What needs to be remembered is that had he have kept himself to some sort of moral standard, he would have gained probably a bigger club and received better training and education in the midfield. And I've no doubt he would have had the ability to improve to the standard a top 4 club, being deployed in a DM role.

For example, if he had of not being an arse, kept training at City and played a good few seasons, trained well, got a few England caps, I'd have no problem taking him at United. He is a battler on the pitch and those are so few and far between, someone who will literally put themselves in harms way. Its such a boost for those around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Joey's a good player. He just needs to be handled well by a strong but understanding manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I thought he was fairly ****ed over by QPR tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I thought he was fairly ****ed over by QPR tbh.

There is not enough LOL'S to describe the above. He got himself sent off in the final match of he season which could have spelled relegation. It was only that other results went their way that they stayed up.

He then received a 12 game ban, has now gone on Twatter to vent his disappointment!!!! Hope the door does'nt hit him on the way out. He is poison, has been in trouble at every club he's been at.

QPR took a flyer on him and they got the good with the bad. He is divisive in the dressing room and they will be better of without him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

His twitter account his costing him dearly and yet he's still to thick to cop on to that. I'd be surprised if any manager in the PL will touch him with a barge poll. QPR can't even get rid of him on a free transfer it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club tbh (Liverpool). He shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch in fairness. He's nothing but a thug. Should have done far more jail time than he has done. Nothing wrong with someone getting a second chance but he's had a third, fourth and fifth chance... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

His twitter account his costing him dearly and yet he's still to thick to cop on to that. I'd be surprised if any manager in the PL will touch him with a barge poll. QPR can't even get rid of him on a free transfer it seems.

Looks like he's ditched the person he hired to re-create his public image as the majority of the quotes on his page which appear to make him look smarter than he actually is have stopped and he's constantly ranting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Joey Barton`s ban has followed him to France.
    ___

On-loan Marseille midfielder Joey Barton will be forced to serve the remaining nine games of his 12-match ban the French League have confirmed.

Barton, who sealed a season-long loan at Marseille last week, is currently serving a 12-match ban after being found guilty of two charges of violent conduct while playing for Queens Park Rangers in the 3-2 defeat to Manchester City on the final day of last season.......

Source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

He helped improved my team then yes I would have him.

Who cares what he's like in real life? Except the people that do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Superb stuff to see his ban carry over to France. Brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »
    Superb stuff to see his ban carry over to France. Brilliant :pac:

This can't be true??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The amount of trouble he would cause would far out-weigh any good he would do at a club. I would want him at my club for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

monkey9 wrote: »
    This can't be true??

Ya, I'd agree with ya.

I didnt think a national FA's ban could carry over to another's?

Now a UEFA/FIFA ban yes, but not a national one surely? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, I'd agree with ya.

I didnt think a national FA's ban could carry over to another's?

Now a UEFA/FIFA ban yes, but not a national one surely? :confused:

The LFP have now confirmed that the ban will roll over into his campaign with France, meaning Barton will have to wait until the clash with Bordeaux on November 18 to make his Ligue 1 debut for Marseille.

"When Joey Barton was transferred from Queens Park Rangers to Olympique Marseille, the FA relayed the sanction taken against him to the French soccer federation," the LFP said on its website (www.lfp.fr).

"According to FIFA rules... the player, who has already served three games, has been suspended for the next nine matches in the French competitions."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

May have been some pressure on the FA and the FFF from UEFA/FIFA to transfer the ban. I'm sure the higher authorities don't want a situation where a ban imposed in one jurisdiction would be circumvented by simply loaning a player abroad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at Marseille's cack-handed transfer dealings once again.

Advertisement