Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best contraceptive for you?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies,

I've been on the pill now for approx 14 years (I sound so old!) and I'm thinking I'd like to come off it. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I got pregnant but I'd prefer not to for a few more years so what kind of contraceptives do you use that don't have an effect on your hormones?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Would you consider getting a Persona or Clearblue Ovulation kit?

You could use condoms on your high fertility days. That way your body gets to settle down as well after the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I use condoms. Obviously not fail safe, but can be very reliable as long as they don't break. I also use ladytimer an online fertility tracker that emails me during my fertile period so I know if an accident does happen I can then get emergency contraception (only had to do this once). I have looked into every possible option and this really seems like the only non-hormonal option apart from an IUD and didn't want to go down that route either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Good ideas ladies. It's funny but I would feel so unsafe without using anything, even if the fertile tester thingy said that there was no chance - years of the 'fear' I suppose! Although I know it's probably a lot harder to get pregnant than I think it is.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what worked for them?

On the suggestions of above I've looked into Natural Family Planning and it looks very interesting! Again though I would have my reservations on how successful it would be as a method. Does anyone do this and how does it work for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Is there a reason why condoms aren't a possibility, as in to use all the time instead of just during fertile time?

• Advertisement

No reason really, just that I'm not really a fan of them comfort wise and neither is he.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Have you thought about getting a diaphragm or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

Natural family planning
    Condoms
    Cap
    Non-hormonal coil

The non-hormonal coil would be the most reliable and least amount of hassle. Just get it inserted and forget about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I had the mirena coil in for 3 years. At the time I thought it was brilliant. Slight bit of break through bleeding for a few months in the beginning but nothing too severe.

I got it removed to try for a baby and since having it removed I have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I'm not blaming the mirena at all but at times I do wonder if my contraceptive choices have hindered my chances. I know I'm probably thinking out my backside and tens of thousands of women have gone on to have healthy babies and pregnancies but for me, it's food for thought. I wouldn't have one fitted again unless I was definite I didn't want any more children.

I, personally, wouldn't trust the natural method. Sperm can happily live inside you for 5 days. Definitely wouldn't be an option unless you're both happy about the possibility of getting pregnant.

At the moment, we're back to using condoms for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I use the pill, I went on it when I was 16 and came off it for a while when I was 21. Myself and my doctor felt that it would be good to give my body a break for a little while.

I'm back on the pill again, we do use condoms if something goes wrong. It works for me! :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Am constantly surprised at the number of women who go on contraceptive pill without questioning what exactly it does to their bodies.
    Seriously,if the option was available to men,I really don't think they'd take it as readily.
    I've seen so many colleagues/friends either have significant health problems while taking it, or come off it and have fertility issues-
    barrier contraception is best option if used correctly.
    As for Billings method, depends completely on regular cycles,so spontaneity goes out the window
    - old joke:
    What do you call people who use Billings method ?
    Parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I currently have the Mirena - but I had to have it inserted in the hospital and it was bloody painful - so not going to do that again. Prior to kids I had the Depo-provera injections and loved it - no periods and actually lost weight, so I'm going to go back on that in a couple of months...I hated the pill, could never remember to take it, worrying when I was ill, just found it too much hassle and given I was in a long-term relationship, the injection was so much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

msthe80s wrote: »
    Am constantly surprised at the number of women who go on contraceptive pill without questioning what exactly it does to their bodies.
    Seriously,if the option was available to men,I really don't think they'd take it as readily.
    I've seen so many colleagues/friends either have significant health problems while taking it, or come off it and have fertility issues-
    barrier contraception is best option if used correctly.
    As for Billings method, depends completely on regular cycles,so spontaneity goes out the window
    - old joke:
    What do you call people who use Billings method ?
    Parents.

Don't quite agree with this, I know I'd happily take a male contraceptive pill if one was available!

Folks, the assumptions/discussion on males wish and interest in taking a male contraceptive pill belong in another thread - possibly another forum.

Many thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Like you OP i'm going off the hormones as well, i'm been on something for 5 years and am going to use the natural method (temperatures) along with condoms to be doubly sure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

OP, I've given this some thought too, but I've only been on the pill about half the time you have. Post-contraceptive fertility is not an issue for me, as I'm not having kids, but all the other methods I've investigated I just don't like the sound of. I find it easy to take the pill. I think I've forgotten to take it twice in about 7 years. I've considered Mirena but it sounds horrible to have it fitted, and I'm not comfortable with the idea. Also they are very reluctant to fit it for women who haven't had kids.

I think if my doc ever advises me to come off the pill maybe I will just use condoms. To be honest, the reason I went on it in the first place was not related to contraception exactly, so I would dread not having full control over my periods again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I currently have the Mirena - but I had to have it inserted in the hospital and it was bloody painful - so not going to do that again. Prior to kids I had the Depo-provera injections and loved it - no periods and actually lost weight, so I'm going to go back on that in a couple of months...I hated the pill, could never remember to take it, worrying when I was ill, just found it too much hassle and given I was in a long-term relationship, the injection was so much handier.
    I'm on depo provera aswell, love it. no period, and only an injection every 12 weeks. as my memory is very bad aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

I have the merina...have it about 2 years now...found it very hard to settle down, and seriously think it makes my periods heavier rather than lighter..also am finding myself very emtional on it ....but its very reliable thats the only reason Ive kept it. After our wedding in Aug Im going to see if himself is happy for it to be taken out and maybe try something else...Not keen on the pill never have been so Im also very interested in this thread to see what gets recommended

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ladies just a note that if you are on depo provera long term and are in your thirties, you should have a DEXA scan to check your bone density :)

What constitutes "long-term"? I was on them for a couple of years around 7yrs ago and I want to go back on them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Stheno wrote: »
    Ladies just a note that if you are on depo provera long term and are in your thirties, you should have a DEXA scan to check your bone density :)

Younger if there's a family history of osteoporosis. My mum has osteo pina and I was taken off depo because of the family history. I was only about 23 at the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What constitutes "long-term"? I was on them for a couple of years around 7yrs ago and I want to go back on them....

Dunno to be honest I've been using it on and off for over ten years, had a scan about 18 months ago and it was fine.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The Billings method used alone - where you avoid intercourse during your fertile time is fraught with potential pitfalls, My mother used it after me and I have 2 younger siblings. :rolleyes:

Taking your temperature and charting can be annoying as you have to do it at the same time every morning, in bed, before you get up. If you are irregular in your cycles and find it hard to track I could imagine you could get caught out quickly.

I have been off the pill for over 2 years now, and tracking my cycle to try to get pregnant. Temping (Billings) lasted about 4 days until I got fed up and now just pee on sticks from day 9 onwards until I get a positive ovulation predictor stick. But I note this in my diary, and it can vary any time between days 9 and 13. Add on another 5-7 days prior to that where sperm can survive, and that could be up to 10 days in every 28 as a possible fertile window.

In some ways, I have learned a lot about my body -when I am prone to different moods, what side I ovulate on, and I can tell when my period is due, but I do vary by a day or three here or there so I dont know if I could rely fully on tracking a cycle to not get pregnant. But i am glad that I am giving my body a break to have natural hormones for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm happy enough with the pill plus condoms. I'm on and off the pill over the years and never had any side effects from it, so it's fine with me.
    I'm a bit useless with actually remembering the correct times but I think the one I use isn't quite so to-the-minute as some of the others. I think the injections might be a better plan :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I was on the pill as soon as I started having sex, from age 16 - 22. At first I was on Dianette and changed to Yasmin for the last year. Giving up the pill was the best decision I ever made. Now I just use condoms and this has worked fine.

Truley wrote: »
    I was on the pill as soon as I started having sex, from age 16 - 22. At first I was on Dianette and changed to Yasmin for the last year. Giving up the pill was the best decision I ever made. Now I just use condoms and this has worked fine.

How come?

See I'd be your opposite there, as a young teen (14/15) I used faint during periods and was put on the pill for that. Even on the pill periods knocked me sideways, so depo suits me down to the ground, no periods, no agonising pains for two weeks out of four, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I loved the Depo Provera shot as well... was advised to come off it for a while cos I was on it for about 4 years with no break. No periods etc. was great for me! I did put on a bit of weight on it, but nothing major or that I couldn't have shifted had I made a bit of an effort!!
    Stheno wrote: »

No matter what age, you should get a DEXA scan once a year apparently! I was on it for about 2.5 years before I got a scan though, with no problems or reduced bone density. It isn't that it will definitely reduce bone density, just that there is an increased risk!

I went on the pill (Yasmin) after a break from hormone based contraceptives, and was on it for about 2 years. Took it religiously every day at 9:30pm. And it eh... didn't work?! There's 0.001% chance of pill fail even when the pill is taken 100% correctly. As far as I know this is the case with nearly all contraceptive pills :eek:

Will probably be condoms for a while after baby comes, and then back on to Depo for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

bluewolf wrote: »
    How come?

For the year I was on it I was like a different person, teary and anxious all the time. I strongly believe being on Yasmin had a massive effect on my moods. Within of weeks of starting it and going off it I could feel a change in my personality. I've never been a very 'hormoney' person and have always had very light/easy periods. I just don't think Yasmin worked for me and I'm not too pushed on trying out another pill; my mate who is head of a college Student Union gave me a free bag of 200 Durex so I think I'm sorted for at least a year anyway :P

• Advertisement

liliq wrote: »
    I went on the pill (Yasmin) after a break from hormone based contraceptives, and was on it for about 2 years. Took it religiously every day at 9:30pm. And it eh... didn't work?! There's 0.001% chance of pill fail even when the pill is taken 100% correctly. As far as I know this is the case with nearly all contraceptive pills :eek:
    Yes, it is certainly not 100%, which is why I get very annoyed that anyone on the pill becoming pregnant is assumed to be lying or something.
    It's also why I prefer to double up, although I am wondering if I am the only one :pac:

For the year I was on it I was like a different person, teary and anxious all the time. I strongly believe being on Yasmin had a massive effect on my moods. Within of weeks of starting it and going off it I could feel a change in my personality. I've never been a very 'hormoney' person and have always had very light/easy periods. I just don't think Yasmin worked for me and I'm not too pushed on trying out another pill; my mate who is head of a college Student Union gave me a free bag of 200 Durex so I think I'm sorted for at least a year anyway :P
    Oh that's fair enough, I was just curious !

Advertisement