Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best contraceptive for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Hi girls, just looking for a bit of advice.

I've been on cerazette for about eight months and I still get regular periods (sometimes two a month) and horrible side effects so I spoke to my doctor about it and she wants me to try Yasmin or the depo shot. I agreed to try Yasmin for 3 months and see how I get on with it, mostly because she said weight loss can happen a lot of women on Yasmin whereas many gain weight with the shot (i've gained almost a stone since I started on the cerazette so I don't want to gain anymore!) I'm also a bit worried about the bone loss associated with the depo shot.

Anyone want to share their experiences with Yasmin/depo? I have a box of Yasmin here so I might make "the big switch" this weekend and get started on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Hi all, Can anyone reassure me about depo-provera? Despite the fact that I am on it about 8 years I still never stop worrying that it might fail! My GP has tried to reassure me in the past by telling me that depo is as good as having no womb. But every now and then I get paranoid (such as having sore boobs at the moment...why?). Has anyone ever got pregnant who was on depo and taking it properly and on time every 12 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Has anyone ever used a diaphragm? And can you give me any advice? Did you like it, find it easy to use etc?

The pill didn't work for me, and I ended up getting pregnant right after I came off it. I tried the patch over the summer and I went crazy. I've been advised to use only barrier methods, but I don't feel comftorable just using condoms! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Make sure you get fitted for it properly always use spermicide with it, practice putting it in correctly until you you can 'feel' it's in properly, if you loose weight suddenly (more then a stone or so) you'll need to make another appointment to make sure that it still fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hi all, Can anyone reassure me about depo-provera? Despite the fact that I am on it about 8 years I still never stop worrying that it might fail! My GP has tried to reassure me in the past by telling me that depo is as good as having no womb. But every now and then I get paranoid (such as having sore boobs at the moment...why?). Has anyone ever got pregnant who was on depo and taking it properly and on time every 12 weeks?

Hey YSV,

Firstly, I've been pregnant twice and sore boobs was never a factor early doors so I wouldn't be worrying about sore boobs = pregnancy.

I was on the deppo for a fair few years and never got pregnant until I stopped taking it - it's supposed to take a long time to wear off which it didn't in our case but it was 100% effective for me while being taken every three months...although despite not having periods I knew where in my cycle I was from achy boobs, headaches and general mood so that may explain the sore boobs?

Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi all.

Had a long post but "This page cannot be displayed" came up :(

So going to be short and to the point. On my 2nd implanon (bar) and got it put in back in April, so 6 months ago. I have had my period for 14 days now which has never happened before. My periods still aren't regular and come and go as they please, sometimes every 4/5 weeks sometimes 2 months later. My periods are becoming much longer of late and I am wondering is it anything to do with the implanon? Should I be worried and should I get it checked out by a doctor? Just wondering from anyone else who is on their 2nd implanon.

Also, on my first one, while my periods were pretty irregular in the first year, they were never longer than 6 days (6 being the most), so that is what has me worried.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Just thought I'd add my bit!

I got an IUD (non-hormonal copper coil) inserted last year. The process was uncomfortable, and I did have period-like cramps for a couple of days afterwards. However apart from that it has been like a dream! For a while over the summer I was getting bad cramping pain, which I thought was due to the coil, but it turned out I had an ovarian cyst, which cleared up itself after a couple of months.

I have experienced little to no change in my periods (I was told there is a possibility that they could get heavier/longer or more painful so I'm pretty pleased).

It lasts 10 years!!!!!!!! No more remember pills, worrying about antibiotics or vomiting!

No hormonal side effects (I had some sucky mood swings on various pills), and no worries about lifestyle issues (I am an occasional smoker which they don't recommend).

One downside is I am rather 'dinky' as the doctor who inserted it remarked, which means my boyfriend has sometimes been able to feel the strings when he is inside me. He said it's not painful, just more like a tickle or an itch, but obviously it'd be preferable to not notice these things.

In short, I think it's amazeballs. Especially as it was free (NHS - I live in England).

My Mirena expired in May and I can't bring myself to get it out, I began getting symptoms of its expiry in March and we've been using condoms since Feb... I need help deciding and I need something that may supress my sex drive (it doesn't match my partners at all) and since March I've been like a dog in heat.... I love my partner and It's not his fault and I's making me feel so bad! Does anyone agree with the idea of birth control having an influence on your attitude towards your relationship?

You really should go and get it out or get a replacement, I'm due to have mine replaced soon and yes hormonal contraceptives can suppress your sex drive and it can comes back with a bang.

Yeah I know but it was soo painful getting it inserted ....I hadn't realised how much it went until it came back I thought I had just settled into a LTR :D ...I'm in trouble now as I'm rightly pissing my boyfriend off... I've gotten so bad I'm sleep mauling him :(

• Advertisement

It's easier the second time around, and you can get the dr to give you pain killers when you get the prescription written up. It's a day of resting up and a bit of pain for 5 years of not worrying about contraception.

Well they are your needs and urges, sometimes you just have to take yourself in hand :)

Indeed!!!:D I was thinking the nuvaring maybe as I know I want to have kids closer than 5 years away but the thoughts of having a period again :( and also the dreaded side effects of new contraception

Well you you could get a new one in and have it taken out in 2/3 years time you don't have to go the full 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Currently on microlite, which I thought would make me less of a crazy bitch. I'm constantly in floods of tears (for example, tonight on love/hate a sad lonely man killed a swan while the swans mate witnessed it and I was frightfully emotional) over silly things, my boobs hurt and I'm getting cramps.
    This passes, right? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Currently on microlite, which I thought would make me less of a crazy bitch. I'm constantly in floods of tears (for example, tonight on love/hate a sad lonely man killed a swan while the swans mate witnessed it and I was frightfully emotional) over silly things, my boobs hurt and I'm getting cramps.
    This passes, right? :(

I cried too! That poor boy though :(

On a plus note though, 48 days with no period :D:cool:

The implant has finally settled down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jeaniemc1

Hey ladies,

I came off my regular pill last month and went onto the Ring!! NEVER AGAIN!

I know your body needs time to get used to the new contraceptive and all that but I swear I balled my lamps out for 2 weeks straight for no reason whatsoever!! The ring has its obv good points like not needing to remember the pill etc but there is no way I will go back - you feel like a crazy lady!

Hope this helps :)

Jx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Due to start the pill any day now, having gone 15 weeks with no period...
    (cycle before was nine weeks)
    Doc put me on it to regulate my cycle.

Just wondering, when you start it for the first time are you likely to be all emotional and all over the place until it settles or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

jeaniemac2 wrote: »

Just wondering, when you start it for the first time are you likely to be all emotional and all over the place until it settles or whatever?

Well everyone will react differently to the pill, but whenever I start on a new one (I've been on Dianette, Yasmin and Cerazette), I'm grand for the first month or two, then the hormones start to go a bit mad :o

But I think I just don't react well to hormonal contraception in general, so you might not have any mood changes whatsoever :) Won't know until you try!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 califairy

jeaniemac2 wrote: »

I'm considering going on the pill for the same reason, I haven't had a period for about 12 weeks but I thought this was just my crazy body and messed up cycle as im never regular, but now the pregnancy alarm bells are ringing now too eek! Gonna do a rest tomorrow and if its negative off to the doctors for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was totally the same!!
    Did four tests before I finally got the courage!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Have the Mirena Coil in for what will be three years come October. Best decision I ever made. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

On day two of the patch and am not sure about it... My heart is absolutely racing and I feel a bit lightheaded.... now it could be the DT's as I was out last night. :) But it still feels pretty extreme. Im really hoping the patch suits though cos it's my last resort.. Have been on Depo - gained a mental amount of weight and turned insane. Mood was awful on pill/nuvaring as well. Don't want to get the implant.

I'm also getting terrible cramps in my abdomen. Not sure what that's about either.

I've read through the thread re other's experiences on the patch. Any more of you out there? Would love to hear how you are finding it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Thinking of going onto cerazette soon - any thoughts on this? Pros and cons, horror stories?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Recently switched from Dianette (which I was on for acne - success!) to Yasminelle. I found for the first 6 weeks or so it made me a little crazy! Was feeling emotional and often in foul homour. Seems to be all good now though, was thinking I'd have to switch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭luvnit!

I was on depo provera shot for over a year and it literally messed me up so bad!

my cycles were all over the place for over a year.

we're been ttc now for nearly 2 years and with no joy.

would honestly never recommend it, the best form of birth control i used was the pill, yasmin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Thinking of going onto cerazette soon - any thoughts on this? Pros and cons, horror stories?

Tbh, Cerazette was a disaster for me emotions-wise. I was put on it after bad reactions to Dianette and Yasmin, to see if progestogen suited me with a view to getting the implant. I just became so low all the time, I really felt crap about myself and life in general. I was rowing a lot with my bf. It was affecting my entire life, it wasn't worth it. But I'm thinking I just can't handle hormonal contraception at all, and I'm looking at getting the non-hormonal coil now (if the GP will give it to me, I'm only 20!).

Apart from that, I liked that my periods stopped and obviously, no babies! But I think it also made me want to eat more and my acne got a lot worse on Cerazatte.

So yeah, it didn't do anything for me at all. But we're all different and complicated creatures, so Cerazette could be perfect for you. No way of knowing until you try it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Exact opposite story for me. I'm on cerazette four months now and have been bleeding for 3 and a half of them. :( Other than that, it is perfect. My moods haven't gotten worse, it's actually eliminated my PMS, which used to be quite bad,and I've no other side effects. But obviously the bleeding thing is a massive one and it's really putting in on my sex life. I'm sticking it out for another little while as my doctor tells me (and I've read accounts on line saying the same from people who take it) that for some women that happens for up to five or six months and then it settles down completely and they often actually never have any more periods while on it. I can only take the mini-pill, though, so if I had more options maybe I wouldn't be sticking it out so long. It's so frustrating, as it's perfect other than that.

As Emily said, though, you can't really take to much from that either, as everyone's affected differently. You just have to look at our two opposite experiences for proof of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

On a plus note though, 48 days with no period :D:cool:

The implant has finally settled down :)

How long has it taken to settle down?

I have mine now just over a year and it's wrecking my head. The doctor prescribed teh pill to regulate things and while it worked while I was taking it (I was batshít crazy on it, what dya expect for TWO artificial hormone doses in your body) a week after coming off it and it's back to square one :(

Going to make an appointment in January and get it out, might try the patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How long has it taken to settle down?

I have mine now just over a year and it's wrecking my head. The doctor prescribed teh pill to regulate things and while it worked while I was taking it (I was batshít crazy on it, what dya expect for TWO artificial hormone doses in your body) a week after coming off it and it's back to square one :(

Going to make an appointment in January and get it out, might try the patch.

Mine took about 6 months to settle down, including a month bout on the pill. I think purple bobbin got hers 2 weeks ahead of me, but we've been reacting the same ways!
    Well I say it has, it might not have, but it's going well again and no more going crazy, and also 7 weeks since a period.

The doctor told me it could take up to 9 months to settle and if it didn't after that, it probably wouldn't. So you might be as well off if it's been a year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Yeah looks like I will be having it out so :( so my next question! Is there a set price charged for removal or should I shop around?

Advertisement