Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best contraceptive for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah looks like I will be having it out so :( so my next question! Is there a set price charged for removal or should I shop around?

i only know the wwc is 150
    http://wellwomancentre.ie/index.php?p=services
    but might do you no harm to shop around?
    they're very professional and lovely there though anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Thinking of going onto cerazette soon - any thoughts on this? Pros and cons, horror stories?

I started on cerazette after I had my daughter a year ago. I was on Noriday (another progesterone only pill) initially because it was on short supple but I have had no trouble getting it since. I chose it because it was breastfeeding friendly, and with a view to possibly getting the implanon if the hormone suited me.

I havn't had any periods on it whatsoever, a slight amount of spotting in the first 2/3 months but none since. I havn't had any side effects as far as I am aware. Some slight mood swings maybe but definitely no more than I would usually get with PMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yeah looks like I will be having it out so :( so my next question! Is there a set price charged for removal or should I shop around?

check out ifpa, I thought I saw a 100 euro charge for removal [implanon] might not be what you're looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

saa wrote: »
    check out ifpa, I thought I saw a 100 euro charge for removal [implanon] might not be what you're looking for

Yeah I think 100e is about standard. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I started the pill (Microlite) on Wednesday and since I've been feeling slightly sicky and have one sore breast..Is this normal??

My mum said it's just cause of the hormones and it's such a change. Is she right because I'm sick of feeling sick already :(

Also, I have a horrendous pain at the top of my left rib cage and left side :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

First let me say that I am not looking for professional medical advice, but personal experience while on the pill. At the moment I'm on microlite and have had no adverse side effects. I want to move onto a combined oestrogen and progesterone pill mainly because I have heard that people can experience breast growth. This sounds great ...the contraceptive benefits I have at the moment with an added perk :)

Buuuut I've heard that you can get serious mood swings on higher dosages of these hormones and really don't want to go through that.

What's been your experience of breast growth and mood swings with different brands offerring different levels of these hormones?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Aragneer wrote: »
    I started the pill (Microlite) on Wednesday and since I've been feeling slightly sicky and have one sore breast..Is this normal??

My mum said it's just cause of the hormones and it's such a change. Is she right because I'm sick of feeling sick already :(

Also, I have a horrendous pain at the top of my left rib cage and left side :/

If you are in serious pain I would recommend you talk to your doctor as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sprout2112

Hi. I am really interested in the copper IUD. I'm in my mid 20s and have never had a child; I know doctors are reluctant to fit it in women who've never had children. Can anyone share their experience of it? Will a doctor in Ireland fit it in my case?

I tried Yasmin and Microlite a few years ago, but wasn't into the complete lack of sex drive. We've just been using condoms for years with no problems but I would like to have sex without them tbh and I'm just not comfortable with the idea of hormonal contraceptives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Can I just say that I am cursing Cerazette out of it today :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Can I just say that I am cursing Cerazette out of it today :mad:

It's horrible, isn't it?! By the time I gave up on it, I would have preferred babies over taking Cerazette any longer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey all!!
    So beginning of december, i went into doc to start Pill, microlite i was given and she said start on first day of period, so as period had just finished couple day before that, id to wait month ish... so i was due to get period around 5/6/7th of this month... didnt come till Today (think from stress etc).. so i took pill first time today..

I presume i'm right enough..
    sounds stupid writing it down now cos obviously it'll be month before starts again , i doubt it'll start earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

dazey wrote: »
    First let me say that I am not looking for professional medical advice, but personal experience while on the pill. At the moment I'm on microlite and have had no adverse side effects. I want to move onto a combined oestrogen and progesterone pill mainly because I have heard that people can experience breast growth. This sounds great ...the contraceptive benefits I have at the moment with an added perk :)

Buuuut I've heard that you can get serious mood swings on higher dosages of these hormones and really don't want to go through that.

What's been your experience of breast growth and mood swings with different brands offerring different levels of these hormones?

Thanks in advance!

I was on Dianette for WAY too long, and ended up having an awful time on it - serious mood swings, would be on top of the world at one point in the cycle and absolutely depressed at another point. I piled on the weight and my boobs in particular blew up like mad! That in turn didn't help the mood swings! Have been off it now a while and trying to get rid of that weight but would like to go on a lighter dose pill soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

EmilyO wrote: »
    It's horrible, isn't it?! By the time I gave up on it, I would have preferred babies over taking Cerazette any longer :(

I gave it up 2 months ago because of the side effects and got my first "real" period the other day. I swear, I thought I was going to die at the time, ha.

I'm not on anything now though and I really don't know where to go from here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I gave it up 2 months ago because of the side effects and got my first "real" period the other day. I swear, I thought I was going to die at the time, ha.

I'm not on anything now though and I really don't know where to go from here :(

I'm absolutely the same, when I got my first proper period last weekend I thought my womb was going to fall out or something...so painful!

Ditto, I'm done with hormones for now. Kinda hoping my doctor will give me the copper IUD, even though I'm 20 with no kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I'm absolutely the same, when I got my first proper period last weekend I thought my womb was going to fall out or something...so painful!

Ditto, I'm done with hormones for now. Kinda hoping my doctor will give me the copper IUD, even though I'm 20 with no kids...

If your dr won't ask for a referal to a GYN who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Tell them you're looking to get your tubes tied...they will be only too happy to pimp an IUD at you as an alternative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Kimia wrote: »
    On the suggestions of above I've looked into Natural Family Planning and it looks very interesting! Again though I would have my reservations on how successful it would be as a method. Does anyone do this and how does it work for you?

I tried 'Natural Fertility' for contraception...even took a course...and I have three (unplanned but very much loved) children:eek:

Right now using breastfeeding but not going to work for too much longer

Tried IUD for a while and made me bleed copiously twice a month and get killer migranes

All hormonal contraceptives turn me into (more of) a psycho b1tch

hubby is all for the snip but seems a bit final to me

condoms are unreliable (when you don't use them)

what else? diaphragm? bring on the male pill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Rosy breastfeeding isn't a method of contraception. You're less likely to concieve but in no way guaranteed not to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

+1 on what pampootie said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gracielou85

Hi all

I hope this is the right forum to have this thread in :)
    I currently have my 2nd implanon implanted; therefore it is my 6th year using this form of contraception.
    Has anyone else found their weight has fluctuated from 1 extreme to the other whilst on the implanon?
    I gained about 2 stone while I had the 1st implant in, then when I had the 2nd implant inserted initially I dropped about 2 stone and now over the last year and a half I have put on over 2 stone again!
    The frustrating thing about this weight gain / weight loss is that my eating habits / level of activity has always been the same over the last few years.
    Implanon is the only form of contraception I can use unfortunately.
    I am 26.

Thanks for your help
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I tried 'Natural Fertility' for contraception...even took a course...and I have three (unplanned but very much loved) children:eek:

Right now using breastfeeding but not going to work for too much longer

hubby is all for the snip but seems a bit final to me

Unless you want another three unplanned children, this is definitely the route I'd be going down. And though it's not 100% successful, it can be reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WhiteRose90

I know you said you have a problem comfort wise with condoms but Durex Deluxe and Real Feel are quite good. I've never had unprotected sex but my current bf did years ago before he met me and says they feel the same as if he didn't have anything on. Maybe you could try those? We haven't had any break yet so they've good durablilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

pampootie wrote: »
    Rosy breastfeeding isn't a method of contraception. You're less likely to concieve but in no way guaranteed not to!

since its my third, I'm exclusively breastfeeding and I didn't start bleeding until each of my others were fully weaned (at around 1) I'm fairly safe for another few months

not guaranteed, I know, but what method of contraception is 100% foolproof (other than abstinence and sterilisation)

as far as I'm concerned, if another little soul wants me to be their mammy that badly then there's not a whole lot I can do to stop them;)

Getting your tubes tied is not 100% but it's close but an IUS is actually better then getting your tubes tied.

Rosy Posy I'd suggest that you look at getting a fertility monitoring system, that way you can track which days you are most fertile. The persona system is pretty good and available in most chemists.

You also mentioned the diaphragm, these are still used and several new and improved types have
    come out over the last 10 years. You need to speak to your dr and if they can't fit you with one
    then make an appointment with your local family planning clinic and they will be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aurora1984

So I have now had the mirena IUD since July 2011, I posted right after I got it. Nearly 7 months on I am still happy with it mostly. No periods since I got it, occasionally recently getting some very light spotting. The only thing I am having a problem with is spots!!! I had awful skin when I was younger but then was on the pill for so many years I assumed it was over and done with. I went to the doc about 2 weeks ago as the spots were on my back and seemed to be getting worse. She told me it' s the hormone changes and said I could have the IUD out or try some creams/antibiotics. I wouldn't remove the IUD because of it but it is pretty annoying! So trying the creams to see if it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I recently got fitted with a diaphragm and aside from the family planning women (gently) slagging me for being stuck in 1950's America it was grand!

Mind you haven't used it in any alluring situation yet so we'll have to see. My biggest fear is that I'll get it trapped up there and have to get it surgically removed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hey guys,
    I had to quit Microlite because of the horrendous side effects and I quit it only two weeks in so I had two AF's in a row really and now I'm late by five days I think (if I have a 28 day cycle and not the 36 one that i sometimes have).

Have any of you ever had this problem coming off the pill before? And is it just the hormones trying to regulate themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what is an af

A.F.
    Aunt Flow

Seems to get used by people too squeamish to say period.

• Advertisement

Hi all

I hope this is the right forum to have this thread in :)
    I currently have my 2nd implanon implanted; therefore it is my 6th year using this form of contraception.
    Has anyone else found their weight has fluctuated from 1 extreme to the other whilst on the implanon?
    I gained about 2 stone while I had the 1st implant in, then when I had the 2nd implant inserted initially I dropped about 2 stone and now over the last year and a half I have put on over 2 stone again!
    The frustrating thing about this weight gain / weight loss is that my eating habits / level of activity has always been the same over the last few years.
    Implanon is the only form of contraception I can use unfortunately.
    I am 26.

Thanks for your help
    :)

I find I balloon up in the last year. It all comes off when I change it.
    If I keep using it. I'm going to replace it after 2 years anymore.

Advertisement