Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best contraceptive for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

discus wrote: »
    My girl-of-sorts was on that [microlite] for a few years... She was regularly a demon. My mates even sat me down a few times and asked if I was ok in the relationship - that's how crazy she got. She's off them completely now, and it's as if she's a new person at times!

How is microlite still being prescribed? I don't know one woman who's taken it, and not had regular bouts of anger, loss of libido etc...

Maybe the Microlite wasn't entirely to blame, if you were calling her your "girl-of-sorts" she might have been annoyed that she didn't know where she stood with you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Emme wrote: »
    Maybe the Microlite wasn't entirely to blame, if you were calling her your "girl-of-sorts" she might have been annoyed that she didn't know where she stood with you.

Emme, that's completely irrelevant to this thread.

Keep on topic going forward please.

Maple

Maple wrote: »
    Emme, that's completely irrelevant to this thread.

Keep on topic going forward please.

Maple

OK, OK. I personally found the Pill (in all its forms) made me more insecure in a relationship where I already felt insecure. That's what I meant in that reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Emme wrote: »
    OK, OK. I personally found the Pill (in all its forms) made me more insecure in a relationship where I already felt insecure. That's what I meant in that reply.

Whatever pill you're on, it's causing you to manicly extrapolate... Have you reported this to the IMB? :D Joke! If it clears it up for you Emme, we're a vague couple now. See, clear as mud, hah!

I was always under the impression that the subdermal implants caused more hassle that the traditional oral contraceptives. By this thread, they seem to have less side effects... I wonder if doctors bother to collate this info when girls return to them looking for a new pill...?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the implant is giving me more trouble than the pill ever did

though it's early days

• Advertisement

discus wrote: »
    Whatever pill you're on, it's causing you to manicly extrapolate... Have you reported this to the IMB? :D Joke! If it clears it up for you Emme, we're a vague couple now. See, clear as mud, hah!

I was always under the impression that the subdermal implants caused more hassle that the traditional oral contraceptives. By this thread, they seem to have less side effects... I wonder if doctors bother to collate this info when girls return to them looking for a new pill...?

IMB will deny any side-effects until they're blue in the face. Hormonal contraceptives are big business.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

I've been on microlite for 2 years and had no problems until about a month ago when my hair started falling out couldn't understand it at first but I'm blaming the pill. Seeing my doc on Friday, can't wait to get to the bottom of it, so scary! Did anyone else experience any hairloss with the pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Someone close to me was on microlite for a good few years and had major problems, weight gain, mood swings, severe depression and anxiety, two years on and she's still getting over it.

About six months ago I was at the doctors discussing changing contraception. I was worried she would suggest microlite. She told me she would never prescribe microlite to anyone as the side effects can be so bad :eek:.

I'm using Mercilon at the moment, and so far so good, no complaints. It has a pretty low dosage. Ideally i'd prefer not to be using hormonal contraceptives at all... But thems the breaks..

I've used Yasmin and the Nuvaring in the past. Yasmin was a terror. Nuvaring just didn't agree with me at all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Just want to add my thanks. I don't have enough close friends to get a good spread of thoughts on contraception. I've tried the pill but the problems were all with me - not taking it every day properly, not having the money to buy the repeat prescription and then not being in a steady relationship through college so I didn't see the point. And then I didn't like the idea of hormonal treatments - too many in my family have PCOS related problems for me to just add more hormones into my mix but that's my paranoia.

I'm in a ltr now - getting married in fact and I'm pregnant. We'd been using condoms - except for that one time.. :o Won't be using family planning methods cos I obviously can't count that well :D And neither one of us want to go back to them after baby comes. From the looks of what I've read here the mirena coil or nuvaring looks good. Smaller amounts of hormones than any of the pills and I don't have to remember to do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Thanks for your response but I dont think I could 100% trust this method, im 24 and not wanting children it would be a total disaster if the method failed!! I dont know what to do!! seriously cant put up with this mood swings crap and the lack of libido!! Im acting like an old biddy!!!:(

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Best way I found was natural family planning take your temp every morning and record other details first you will be able to gauge around when you will ovulate so you abstain around these days. After awhile of doing this method and if your cycles are regular you will be able to pin point exactly when you ovulate.
    This is the only method apart from condoms that will have no affect on your body or hormones. It can take a bit to get used too but stick with it and its an excellent method of contraception Totally natural :)
    http://www.naomi.ie/ for info also you can book classes on how to do this method think you have to pay from this website or you can go to accord for free
    http://www.accord.ie/fertility_and_wellbeing/natural_family_planning/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Is Mercilon a Mini Pill, one where you have a 7 day break just trying ta find out bout different pills, I was giving a new pill to go onto next month by my doc but im not too sure about it, tis called cerazette!!! Ive been on Yasminelle 8 months nd im sick of it!! ughh!! the joys of being a woman!!!:rolleyes:
    Léan wrote: »
    Someone close to me was on microlite for a good few years and had major problems, weight gain, mood swings, severe depression and anxiety, two years on and she's still getting over it.

About six months ago I was at the doctors discussing changing contraception. I was worried she would suggest microlite. She told me she would never prescribe microlite to anyone as the side effects can be so bad :eek:.

I'm using Mercilon at the moment, and so far so good, no complaints. It has a pretty low dosage. Ideally i'd prefer not to be using hormonal contraceptives at all... But thems the breaks..

I've used Yasmin and the Nuvaring in the past. Yasmin was a terror. Nuvaring just didn't agree with me at all. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Amzie wrote: »
    Thanks for your response but I dont think I could 100% trust this method, im 24 and not wanting children it would be a total disaster if the method failed!! I dont know what to do!! seriously cant put up with this mood swings crap and the lack of libido!! Im acting like an old biddy!!!:(

Are you in a relationship?Hope you don't mind me asking. If you are in a committed relationship this method is great. Its 99% effective so better than the pill :) providing you do it right. I'm only 27 and started it when I was 25 because I really wanted to get away from synthetic hormones. Honestly after 3-4 months of doing this method I trusted it 100% you are so in tune with your body you know whats going on and with temperature readings you know exactly when you ovulate so you abstain for about 3 days 1 day before 2 days after.
    I was in a committed relationship and discussed everything with my bf you do need to have him on side and abstain when you you have to. The women who thought me the method had been using it for over 14 years with no unplanned pregnancy. PM me if you want some more info I was scared of pregnancy when I started too but the benefits of being off the pill and support from my bf convinced me :)

[QUOTE=nicowa;73888746
    I'm in a ltr now - getting married in fact and I'm pregnant. We'd been using condoms - except for that one time.. :o Won't be using family planning methods cos I obviously can't count that well :D And neither one of us want to go back to them after baby comes. From the looks of what I've read here the mirena coil or nuvaring looks good. Smaller amounts of hormones than any of the pills and I don't have to remember to do much.[/QUOTE]

Best form of contraceptive after you have your baby is to breastfeed. Breastfeeding delays you getting your period so no chance of getting pregnant again :) My sister has 10 month old she still breastfeeds and still has no period :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I'm on noriday for eight months and haven't had a period on it, has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Breastfeeding delays you getting your period so no chance of getting pregnant again

It is possible to become pregnant while breastfeeding. It is not a proven method of contraception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bmariaam

I think condoms are the best as they protect us not only from pregnancy but also sexually transmitted diseases but it is unfortunate you are uncomfortable with them.I was on the pill for a few years until 2005...then we switched to condoms and we only took a break from them when I was planning to conceive.Where I come from you wouldn't think twice about a condom(married or not)if you really care about your life as HIV is 'sweeping' mostly sexually active people.Either you abstain or you condomise.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Amzie wrote: »
    Is Mercilon a Mini Pill, one where you have a 7 day break just trying ta find out bout different pills, I was giving a new pill to go onto next month by my doc but im not too sure about it, tis called cerazette!!! Ive been on Yasminelle 8 months nd im sick of it!! ughh!! the joys of being a woman!!!:rolleyes:

Hi,
    Yeah you've a 7 day break with Mercilon. If you're looking for more information try searching under 'Mircette' in google, it's the name for it in the states. I've been using it for nearly 6 months now and so far so good. I can be a little bit titchy but I honestly don't know if that's just me being stressed, or the pill :confused:. Beats Yasmin so far anyway, that's for sure :D

It is possible to become pregnant while breastfeeding. It is not a proven method of contraception.

Yes it is possible when you start to get your periods again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Agreed - b/feeding is NOT contraception, and anyone telling anyone otherwise is flat out wrong. It is very possible to get pregnant again even if breastfeeding, so don't count on it protecting you.

Even if you aren't bleeding you could still be ovulating...the bleeding may diminish or stop all together but that does not mean you are not ovulating. Best read up on this more before you count on this as a contraceptive method.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Thanks, I wasn't going to. While I'm happy to be pregnant I'd be pretty upset if I got pregnant so soon after. I'm planning on waiting at least 3 years. Was actually talking about this with my mum yesterday cos I remember reading one girl here on boards getting a scare using that method. It (generally) only works as a contraceptive if you're breastfeeding on demand, up to 8-10 times a day (on demand basically). At the moment I don't know will I do that, and even if I do I'd prefer not to take my chances.

http://www.epigee.org/fetal/contraception.html has more information. I think in this era it's very difficult to feed on demand, espicially with so many women going back to work full and part time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Léan wrote: »

I'm the very same, although I never ventured forth with Nuvaring:o Do you mind me asking in what way it didn't agree with you? I found I was worse of all ob Yasmin, just tearful with a very short fuse. Can cause major problems in a relationship as well as in other aspects of your life too.
    Are you in a relationship?Hope you don't mind me asking. If you are in a committed relationship this method is great. Its 99% effective so better than the pill :) providing you do it right. I'm only 27 and started it when I was 25 because I really wanted to get away from synthetic hormones. Honestly after 3-4 months of doing this method I trusted it 100% you are so in tune with your body you know whats going on and with temperature readings you know exactly when you ovulate so you abstain for about 3 days 1 day before 2 days after.
    I was in a committed relationship and discussed everything with my bf you do need to have him on side and abstain when you you have to. The women who thought me the method had been using it for over 14 years with no unplanned pregnancy. PM me if you want some more info I was scared of pregnancy when I started too but the benefits of being off the pill and support from my bf convinced me :)
    I wouldn't be rushing to try this method. Apart from anything else, even the most regular cycles can go mental the odd month. I know I'm usually 28 days on the nose, but last year I got my period a week early one month and a week late the following one. All it would take is that one month for you to ovulate a few days early etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Best form of contraceptive after you have your baby is to breastfeed. Breastfeeding delays you getting your period so no chance of getting pregnant again :) My sister has 10 month old she still breastfeeds and still has no period :)

I have a daughter thanks to that myth... :)

In fact, I have had no period since going on depo as a student and barring post-partum bleeding have yet to have a period despite having two children so I certainly wouldn't take it for granted that no period = no pregnancy. :cool:

I have a daughter thanks to that myth... :)

In fact, I have had no period since going on depo as a student and barring post-partum bleeding have yet to have a period despite having two children so I certainly wouldn't take it for granted that no period = no pregnancy. :cool:

Just saying what I have been told by doctor at wellwomen clinic. Thought seeing as she is an expert in fertility that she would know

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

nicowa wrote: »
    It (generally) only works as a contraceptive if you're breastfeeding on demand, up to 8-10 times a day (on demand basically). At the moment I don't know will I do that, and even if I do I'd prefer not to take my chances.

http://www.epigee.org/fetal/contraception.html has more information. I think in this era it's very difficult to feed on demand, espicially with so many women going back to work full and part time.

Firstly, I do not want to hijack this thread when there is good info in Parenting forum on breastfeeding.

Nicowa, you are right.I would definitely not rely on breastfeeding as a contraceptive(regardless as to whether or not periods have returned.)I used to work as a nurse and a significant amount of colleagues ended up returning from maternity leave, pregnant again!!! Okay, if that's what you want,but not every one wants 2 babies under 1 year.

As for breastfeeding on demand,some babies feed less than others(obviously) and therefore the 10 feeds a day might not be an option.I b/f 3 babies & numero uno to this day,drinks buckets of bainne,whereas the other 2 were only ever interested in 180mls e.b.m maximum.( & still aren't avid lovers of dairy)
    As for going back to work & breastfeeding,yes it is 100% possible,(I did it and worked full time in a demanding and busy unit)but generally speaking,a lot of babies are into a regular routine by the time mothers return to work, so it's easier to get organised.

Back to contraception issue.
    After having your baby,there will be an opportunity to speak to a family planning nurse( most mat.units,anyway) so even though resuming sexual relationships may be the last thing on your mind(:D)they should have up to date info on choices available.
    Good luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Just saying what I have been told by doctor at wellwomen clinic. Thought seeing as she is an expert in fertility that she would know

I appreciate you repeated what someone told you in good faith - but my actual life experience prompted me to warn that it shouldn't be taken as gospel. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Minding my bro's Kids for a few days .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    the implant is giving me more trouble than the pill ever did

though it's early days

i take it back, it's all good now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm very teary all the time lately..the smallest things make me upset..I'm starting to suspect that Microlite has something to do with it:(

I hope it starts getting better soon because my bf is at the end of his tether trying to keep me happy. I feel sorry for him tbh, but I'm not able to hold in the tears if they're gonna come.

Gaaaaaahhhhh:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

bluewolf wrote: »
    i take it back, it's all good now

Glad to hear it :)

I've been following posts on the implant, and decided to have it put in a few weeks ago. I'm not at all needle shy, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. I thought the doctor would need maybe three or four shots of anesthetic around the site prior to the implant being inserted, but there was considerably more. The insert itself there is a lot of pressure, while it's not painful there and then, over the next few weeks I was black and blue up the arm and unable to bend the arm or lie on it. If anyone is thinking why didn't I go to the doctor about it, it was my first time getting it done, and I assumed once the bruising / swelling had gone I wouldn't be able to feel it anymore.

for a few days you could see the outline of the implant in my arm. Its all gone now, though I can still feel it the odd time I move a certain way. Maybe it will take a little more time. I can still feel it under the skin to touch it, dont know if thats normal or not.

Though, I've been looking forword to using this, after taking the pill for the best part of 14 years or thereabouts, I had gotten fed up with it.

I'll keep an eye out for it, fingers crossed it's just a settling thing :)
    _meehan_ wrote: »
    I'm very teary all the time lately..the smallest things make me upset..I'm starting to suspect that Microlite has something to do with it:(

I hope it starts getting better soon because my bf is at the end of his tether trying to keep me happy. I feel sorry for him tbh, but I'm not able to hold in the tears if they're gonna come.

Gaaaaaahhhhh:(
    Do head back to the GP Meehan, and tell her / him what you've told us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Abi wrote: »
    Glad to hear it :)

I've been following posts on the implant, and decided to have it put in a few weeks ago. I'm not at all needle shy, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. I thought the doctor would need maybe three or four shots of anesthetic around the site prior to the implant being inserted, but there was considerably more. The insert itself there is a lot of pressure, while it's not painful there and then, over the next few weeks I was black and blue up the arm and unable to bend the arm or lie on it. If anyone is thinking why didn't I go to the doctor about it, it was my first time getting it done, and I assumed once the bruising / swelling had gone I wouldn't be able to feel it anymore.

for a few days you could see the outline of the implant in my arm. Its all gone now, though I can still feel it the odd time I move a certain way. Maybe it will take a little more time. I can still feel it under the skin to touch it, dont know if thats normal or not.

Though, I've been looking forword to using this, after taking the pill for the best part of 14 years or thereabouts, I had gotten fed up with it.

I'll keep an eye out for it, fingers crossed it's just a settling thing :)

Do head back to the GP Meehan, and tell her / him what you've told us.

You are suppose to feel it afterwards in your arm, that is completely normal :)

Also, I got quite bruised after my 1st one aswell, and my arm was a bit sore for a few days, I suppose it all depends on the person, some people bruise easily, others dont.

Advertisement