Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best contraceptive for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Abi wrote: »
    Glad to hear it :)

I've been following posts on the implant, and decided to have it put in a few weeks ago. I'm not at all needle shy, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. I thought the doctor would need maybe three or four shots of anesthetic around the site prior to the implant being inserted, but there was considerably more. The insert itself there is a lot of pressure, while it's not painful there and then, over the next few weeks I was black and blue up the arm and unable to bend the arm or lie on it. If anyone is thinking why didn't I go to the doctor about it, it was my first time getting it done, and I assumed once the bruising / swelling had gone I wouldn't be able to feel it anymore.

for a few days you could see the outline of the implant in my arm. Its all gone now, though I can still feel it the odd time I move a certain way. Maybe it will take a little more time. I can still feel it under the skin to touch it, dont know if thats normal or not.
    Could feel it for a few days though I think your experience was worse than mine. Can't feel it now. I have been randomly poking at it because it's funny having a stick in my arm :o:o
    As for getting it in, mine went very smoothly I have to say, there was one shot :confused:
    Hopefully you won't have any bad effects! mine took a couple weeks to kick in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Monife wrote: »
    You are suppose to feel it afterwards in your arm, that is completely normal :)

Also, I got quite bruised after my 1st one aswell, and my arm was a bit sore for a few days, I suppose it all depends on the person, some people bruise easily, others dont.

Grand so, thanks Monife. I thought it was a botch job :o
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Could feel it for a few days though I think your experience was worse than mine. Can't feel it now. I have been randomly poking at it because it's funny having a stick in my arm :o:o
    As for getting it in, mine went very smoothly I have to say, there was one shot :confused:
    Hopefully you won't have any bad effects! mine took a couple weeks to kick in

Thats what I call it, my lil stick in my arm :pac:

Glad I said something now, feel much more at ease with it, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Abi wrote: »
    Glad to hear it :)

I've been following posts on the implant, and decided to have it put in a few weeks ago. I'm not at all needle shy, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. I thought the doctor would need maybe three or four shots of anesthetic around the site prior to the implant being inserted, but there was considerably more. The insert itself there is a lot of pressure, while it's not painful there and then, over the next few weeks I was black and blue up the arm and unable to bend the arm or lie on it. If anyone is thinking why didn't I go to the doctor about it, it was my first time getting it done, and I assumed once the bruising / swelling had gone I wouldn't be able to feel it anymore.

for a few days you could see the outline of the implant in my arm. Its all gone now, though I can still feel it the odd time I move a certain way. Maybe it will take a little more time. I can still feel it under the skin to touch it, dont know if thats normal or not.

Though, I've been looking forword to using this, after taking the pill for the best part of 14 years or thereabouts, I had gotten fed up with it.

You are deffo meant to be able to feel it, I think they say when you can't feel it there MIGHT be a problem or a need to consult your gp. Your gp should have made you feel it directly after insertion.

I bruise quite easily so I was black and blue for a good few days after and it took ages before I could actually touch it myself , it freaked me out no end! TBH it still does! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

I have been on the pill (Yasmin) since I was about 17, so almost ten years now, and I'm really happy with it. Never had it affect my moods. I count myself lucky considering how many friends I've had who have had to switch pills etc.

I'm a bit paranoid, and *always* use condoms as well, would not feel confident relying on just one method.

I hear such good things about the implant and about IUDs but firstly i'm put off by the process of getting them put in (silly I know, but it icks me out a bit) and I'd also worry about getting something long term fitted in case it had negative side effects. I know I could get it removed but, meh, just the hassle. Happy with Yasmin for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jewow

I was wondering if anyone that has or had the implant (implanon) could shed some light for me. I'm on my 2nd one and went straight from one to the next with no break. I've my 2nd one in a year now and since I got my first one my periods stopped. However yesterday I started having a period, i haven't had one in almost 4 years so am slightly worried.
    Should I go to the doctor?? I know absence of periods is a side effect of the implant but now that this period has arrived does it mean its not working??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about progestogen only pills...I've been on microlite for the last four years but with breast cancer now in both sides of my family i really don't think its a risk i can take. I'm not willing to just use condoms they are not effective enough and having a baby would be a complete disastrous so i'm hoping i can still take some form of pill or something.
    I've heard tho that the mini pills have a lower effectiveness than the combined from what I've read it doesn't seem to be the case. I'm gonna go see a doctor soon as i go back to college but just wondering does anyone have any thoughts?

Oh and aswell i've been on microlite for 4 years now and have never had any issues with it at all i'm pure sickened i cant stay on it. Guess pills really are differnt for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Getting the Implanon Contraceptive Implant tomorrow morning, should I be scared?

Have tried various pills in the past but never found one to suit me, here's hoping this will be good for me without to many bad side effects :(

So i have the implanon implant for over 2 months now and i'm seriously thinking about getting it removed.

Insertion was fine, no bruise, no pain etc just a dead arm for a few hours. Have had my period since it was inserted and it's really starting to get me down. Admittedly it's not like a normal period as it's not heavy or very painful but i've still gone through 5 boxes of tampons in 2 frickin months :(

Anyone else have any similar experiences 2 months in? I was told to give it about 3 months for my body to accept the implant properly but I really don't want to have another full month of it :mad:

So i have the implanon implant for over 2 months now and i'm seriously thinking about getting it removed.

Insertion was fine, no bruise, no pain etc just a dead arm for a few hours. Have had my period since it was inserted and it's really starting to get me down. Admittedly it's not like a normal period as it's not heavy or very painful but i've still gone through 5 boxes of tampons in 2 frickin months :(

Anyone else have any similar experiences 2 months in? I was told to give it about 3 months for my body to accept the implant properly but I really don't want to have another full month of it :mad:

PL, my period lasted for a month starting 2 weeks after getting the implant, until I got utterly fed up and went back to the doc. She said she would give me the pill for a month and that that worked in half of cases to help settle things down. For me, it stopped about 2 days later. I'd been taking evening primrose oil & starflower oil for the week beforehand, so it could have been either of those. I really recommend you take those supplements AND see the doc about getting a pill for a short while, or whatever else they recommend. No issues since apart from annoying spots along my jawline :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

bluewolf wrote: »
    PL, my period lasted for a month starting 2 weeks after getting the implant, until I got utterly fed up and went back to the doc. She said she would give me the pill for a month and that that worked in half of cases to help settle things down. For me, it stopped about 2 days later. I'd been taking evening primrose oil & starflower oil for the week beforehand, so it could have been either of those. I really recommend you take those supplements AND see the doc about getting a pill for a short while, or whatever else they recommend. No issues since apart from annoying spots along my jawline :rolleyes:

I started taking the pill as i was directed to by the nurse and it worked for a week or two but then boom! Heavy spotting returned, my face is also destroyed from spots now too but i got a medicated facial wash from my GP and they seem to be disappearing slowly but surely.

I just don't know whether to remove it or wait it out for another month or two to see if things improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I am just back from my doctor and from what I can gather 6-9 months is the settling down time. Things should level out after that, in my case it happened after this time and he put it down to stress. Iv been prescribed a low dose pill to combat any further erratic spotting patterns so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭niamhzie

hi ladies, i'm new here, looking for a bit of advice- the on campus GP offers depo provera, and i'm thinking of at least talking it over with him/her; my periods have always been too far apart and too strong for me to handle. I don't want to sign myself up to the pill because I have a terrible memory, and tbh it's a little expensive.
    What i want to know is what hormone is used, will he'she be reluctant to give it to me as a precautionary measure [i'm not seeing anybody right now, but just in case!] and finally, has anybody had any horrific side effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I've been on Microlite since March of this year for both medical and contraceptive reasons. I started my period when I was 11 and it never regulated. I could go for 4-5 months with no period and then all of a sudden I could have two in the same month. And when I did get them they were very very heavy and very painful. I remember a couple of occasions that the pain was so bad and I was bleeding so heavily that I actually fainted. It was driving me mad, honestly.

Anyways, the first week or so I had a bit of nausea but my doctor had told me to expect it. I was fine after that. I did have a little bit of breakthrough bleeding for the first three cycles or so on the pill. I did bleed through one cycle while I was taking the pills. I was a little bit worried but everything seems to be going fine now. It's great knowing when my period is going to start. My last pill before my week off is on a Sunday morning and my period starts on Tuesday.

Myself and the bf don't use condoms because he's allergic to them but we've been absolutely fine so far.

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Hey I've a question for anyone with knowledge of the pill :D Too embarrased to go chemist and ask!
    I'm on my second month of the pill, I'm told to take it at the same time everyday whih isn't a problem. I took last months at 8 am everymorning, can I change the time I take this months or does every month have to be the same time?? :)
    Novella wrote: »
    I change the time I take my Pill pretty much every month and not pregnant yet so it must be okay!

I was actually wondering this so thanks! :D

I started taking the pill as i was directed to by the nurse and it worked for a week or two but then boom! Heavy spotting returned, my face is also destroyed from spots now too but i got a medicated facial wash from my GP and they seem to be disappearing slowly but surely.

I just don't know whether to remove it or wait it out for another month or two to see if things improve

Did you try evening primrose oil & starflower oil maybe?

I would suggest you wait it out, though I know it's a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

niamhzie wrote: »
    hi ladies, i'm new here, looking for a bit of advice- the on campus GP offers depo provera, and i'm thinking of at least talking it over with him/her; my periods have always been too far apart and too strong for me to handle. I don't want to sign myself up to the pill because I have a terrible memory, and tbh it's a little expensive.
    What i want to know is what hormone is used, will he'she be reluctant to give it to me as a precautionary measure [i'm not seeing anybody right now, but just in case!] and finally, has anybody had any horrific side effects?

i've a terrible memory for taking pills too so went on the depo first. went completely loopy and put on weight. see if it works for you but what works for me is the nuvaring which requires only two days in a month of memory, the day you put take it out and the day you need to put a new one in. can't recommend it enough and i feel better in the fact that it's a much lower dose of hormones than the depo. it's a little more expensive than normal pills but i've found it worth it. small bit of thrush but not often and nothing major. you also have the piece of mind of a period which with depo they stop altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

totally agree with pembily. haven't heard of anyone who isn't happy on the nuvaring. if it became more popular it might actually come down in price too.

tip: if you're holidaying in france, try to see a doctor there and you'll probably get nuvaring for free. i did at least!

I live in France and my GP tried to put me on Nuvaring....went to Pharmacy and they wanted to charge me €100 for 3 months....no way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I live in France and my GP tried to put me on Nuvaring....went to Pharmacy and they wanted to charge me €100 for 3 months....no way!!!
    hmm maybe they've stopped or I just got lucky. However, when I lived in France I could claim 2/3 of my prescription back from the government..I dont know if this is the case for you but if it is then it would only have cost you €30 for 3 months. €100 for three months anyway is very expensive, it's less than €50 here (which I still think is far too much) so there may have been some mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

hmm maybe they've stopped or I just got lucky. However, when I lived in France I could claim 2/3 of my prescription back from the government..I dont know if this is the case for you but if it is then it would only have cost you €30 for 3 months. €100 for three months anyway is very expensive, it's less than €50 here (which I still think is far too much) so there may have been some mistake...

It costs me 20 a month here, which i still find expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

<mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

tnynll, if you have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion, kindly refrain from posting and leave the one-liner funneh's for the forums that appreciate them.

Please acquaint yourself with the forum charter before posting again.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

I was on Cilest, but have a hard time remembering to take it. Was advised against the injection because I'm high risk for osteoporosis.

Dr today prescribed Evra patches. It sounded great in theory, but now I'm wearing it on my hip for only a few hours and it's become stained from my jeans and doesn't look very attractive. Should I just get over it, or consider another option?

I'm also a bit worried about it coming off...maybe I'll get used to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

does anyone know how long does it take for the pill to leave your system. was on Cerazette for only 1 month and stopped it as side effects were so bad. was on it for PMT and ended up worse,along with every other side effedt. plus gained 5lbs in a month.diet has not changed. i have stopped taking it 5 days ago and still have side effects

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Heading to the doctor next tuesday to go on something hormonal, what questions should I ask?? I dont wanna be stuck with thr wrong contraveptive as i was on the patch beore and it sent me bat sh*t crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Heading to the doctor next tuesday to go on something hormonal, what questions should I ask?? I dont wanna be stuck with thr wrong contraveptive as i was on the patch beore and it sent me bat sh*t crazy!

Just tell him / her that. They'll take that into account when suggesting a contraceptive for you. Consider whether it's something short or long-term you want from it.

I got the implant in a few months ago, which is a longer term solution than the pill (3 years). If you want to go longer term again, you could look into Mirena which I believe is a ten year contraceptive solution. If you do decide that you would like to stop using either during this time, the doctor can remove it for you.

So, mention your reaction to the patch, and discuss the contraceptive 'cover' which suits your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I've had the Implanon implant and am currently on the Mirena (this is the second one i've had inserted).

I went through a period of feelign very down in life, and although the doctor didn't think it was anything to do with the implanon i had it removed and replaced with the mirena as the hormone dosage in there is much lower as it goes directly into the womb rather than having it go around the body. A little discomfort going in (like a bad period cramp after) but soon forget it's in. Plus i don't have to worry about things for up to 5 years. My last one ran out and i had a new one put in i was that impressed. No periods, very occasional spot but that's it.

In all fairness, i had 2 implanons as well and was happy with those - no pain getting them in or out, and again great to forget about things for a while :)

I can't take standard contraceptive pill due to family medical reasons, and the mini pill has to be taken within such a short window period i would never manage it. Either of the above have been positive experiences for me.

PS - hi to everyone, found this forum last week and have been taking a look through. Look forward to chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Wohoo, I've got my appointment to get myself "fixed" :D I can't wait (although I'll have to for a few months), I'm seriously excited. I'm dying for the day when I can quit thinking about that stupid pill and whether I remembered to take it...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm on the pill, and it's working fine for me at the moment. I've had no side effects so far, however I've only just started it. To be honest, I think there are far too many 'scary' stories about the pill. I always hear people going on about how dangerous it is and such, but I've never met anyone who has had any serious problems with it. Also, people don't always remember to use condoms (drunkeness and such) and I trust myself more to remember to use the pill. That's just me though. I just feel more secure about the pill with condoms, than just condoms on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tessie123

hi guys,
    i had sex with my husband on saturday and afterwards realised i had not taken the pill...... i then took 3 of them. is there a chance i cud b pregnant??? am v v worried as i do not want to have a child at this time!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

tessie123 wrote: »
    hi guys,
    i had sex with my husband on saturday and afterwards realised i had not taken the pill...... i then took 3 of them. is there a chance i cud b pregnant??? am v v worried as i do not want to have a child at this time!!!!

Taking 3 pills =/= the morning after pill, there is a chance you could get pregnant

i was going to say go to the doctor and dont be asking us, but since it was as long ago as saturday then yes you could be pregnant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

tessie123 wrote: »
    hi guys,

Birth control pills don't work the same as the morning after pill, so there is a chance. Taking those 3 pills won't stop the (possible) pregnancy. You should go see your doctor.

Advertisement