Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Council and Chelsea prize Garden

Options
  • 29-05-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

in view of the story in the Irish Mail on Sunday that Cork City Council are paying a very substantial sum towards the cost of the prize winning floating garden exhibit (due to be erected in the Mardyke) and the statement that city councillors were not aware of this it begs the question what level of expenditure can the City Council incur without the prior approval of the councillors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

dewdrop wrote: »
    Irish Mail on Sunday
    I'd be very surprised if they were telling all of the truth, if not even a bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Seems very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The City is run by the City Manager, they have the power not the council

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I heard on Newstalk this morning that it is going to cost Cork 600,000 to ship the thing back to Cork and that it is being put in storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

The sums of money being quoted are incredible to say the least . . . E2.5M cost . . . over a million from a Cash strapped city . . . a design fee in excess of E200,000 ! . . . . hollyhocks to that. I'm sure there would be some tourist spinoff but it'll take a long time to make back that outlay. The garden will also demand a lot of ongoing maintenance.
    Overrated and beginning to believe in his own invincibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Picture the good that money could have done in other more worth while causes in and around Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Someone from cork city council on radio this morning and while the cost to the council for phase one is not too substantial however she was unable to give any idea of the cost of phase 2 as it has not been costed yet. sounds like a blank cheque to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I'm intrigued by how this "garden" is going to work in Cork. Is it going to be permanently attached to a crane? At what cost? Are we going to have the Hanging Gardens of Cork to attract visitors?
    I'm an avid gardener & watch Chelsea every year. I didn't see one interview with Diarmuid Gavin during the festival nor did he turn up to receive his medal or People's Choice award. So much for representing Ireland in Chelsea.
    He complained that his credibility would be destroyed if he wasn't able to go ahead with the garden & lobbied TDs to help. However as far as I remember he had no problem withdrawing his entry in 2010?
    Diarmuid Gavin has a huge ego & Cork City Council & Failte Ireland deserve a serious slap on the wrist for allowing such an amount of money be spent on such a frivolous venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by how this "garden" is going to work in Cork. Is it going to be permanently attached to a crane? At what cost? Are we going to have the Hanging Gardens of Cork to attract visitors?
    I'm an avid gardener & watch Chelsea every year. I didn't see one interview with Diarmuid Gavin during the festival nor did he turn up to receive his medal or People's Choice award. So much for representing Ireland in Chelsea.
    He complained that his credibility would be destroyed if he wasn't able to go ahead with the garden & lobbied TDs to help. However as far as I remember he had no problem withdrawing his entry in 2010?
    Diarmuid Gavin has a huge ego & Cork City Council & Failte Ireland deserve a serious slap on the wrist ARSE for allowing such an amount of money be spent on such a frivolous venture.

Fixed that for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pixie_dust

I think it's absolutely crazy too. The whole country is bankrupt, and what do they go and do....but spend a few million on a garden.
    It's pathetic, if cranes are supporting the "hanging" parts; it will just look like a monstrosity of sorts, & will probably look totally out of place in Cork(which is clearly not the set of avatar).
    Nice idea on paper, but come on like,it's tarded. Some poor man up in Dublin died on the way to the hospital because of waiting time of ambulance; due to the cutbacks in the emergency services. This country is crazy. And not in a good way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement