Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ wood? Can I buy this in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

Been on google all morning and have only been able to find sites in the US selling this stuff. I'm looking to get my hands on some bbq wood chips for smoking and also the likes of cedar planks for cooking on..

Anybody have any ideas of where might stock the planks?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Any good Weber dealer will have hickory and/or cedar chips.

Check out www.weber.com for the nearest dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You don't need to buy imported wood chips for smoking food, go and cut some fresh gorse twigs/branches and use them, fantastic taste!
    As good as if not better than Vine trimmings, they have to be green though no good using seasoned wood as its too dry.
    Ash chips and bark also work.
    For smoking fish try Alder its excellent with fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Wood chips are in most garden centers...wood chunks for using in a smokey mountain smoker are harder to find..I get mine in a garden center in mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

Shall go looking for them so!

Any ideas regarding planks? Seen them used in a few cookbooks

woodies were selling cedar planks for a while..don't know if they still have them...the orchard garden center in celbridge has a good selection of stuff too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

l5lr wrote: »
    Shall go looking for them so!

Any ideas regarding planks? Seen them used in a few cookbooks

Planks? In a barbie?

Mainly used for cooking fish on a bbq http://www.cedargrilling.com/art.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

I bought Smoking BBQ wood chips in Aldi about a year ago. They were great, especially when using a gas BBQ.

As far as I know B&Q have them. I think I payed €2.99 for a box that was 400-500g

Since it's supposed to be BBQ season again I'd imagine they'll make an appearance in Aldi again! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Mainly used for cooking fish on a bbq http://www.cedargrilling.com/art.htm

Amazing. The natural oils in the cedar must impart lots of flavour. It must be expensive though - cedar is not a cheap timber. Presumably, the board can only be used once.

I picked one up in the discount section of woodies last year. 10 euro for two. I tried the plank salmon and It was top notch. I used mine twice. I havn't seen them since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 RockyTwoArms

"a room outside" in Limerick
    The only real bbq store in the country

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

please don't drag up 3 year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement