Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grant Income Limits

Options
  • 29-05-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello Everyone,

I think I might qualify for the grant if I return to do a masters this September. I understand that I will be assessed on my income from 2010 for academic year 2011/2012. Does anyone have an idea of the personal income limit? I've seen figures for the family income limit if you are being assessed on your parents income. Does this limit apply to me? If not does anyone have any idea of what the mature candidate income limit is likely to be i.e. is it less than 45k per year.

Thanks!

Offshore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Hello Everyone,

I think I might qualify for the grant if I return to do a masters this September. I understand that I will be assessed on my income from 2010 for academic year 2011/2012. Does anyone have an idea of the personal income limit? I've seen figures for the family income limit if you are being assessed on your parents income. Does this limit apply to me? If not does anyone have any idea of what the mature candidate income limit is likely to be i.e. is it less than 45k per year.

Thanks!

Offshore
    I'd imagine it's signifigantly less than 45k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

The rates are the same as for the family. So for 2011 the income limit for an independent candidate with less than four children is €41,110 to receive the maximum ordinary rate of grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi OP,

The rates are the same as for the family. So for 2011 the income limit for an independent candidate with less than four children is €41,110 to receive the maximum ordinary rate of grant.

The rates for the 2010/2011 academic year are

Level 1 - Student Services Charge Paid 47,206-51,380
    Level 2 - 25% Maintenance 44,721-47,205
    Level 3 - 50% Maintenance 42,236-44,720
    Level 4 - 75% Maintenance 41,111-42,235
    Level 5 - 100% Maintenance 0-41,110
    Level 6 - 100 Maintenance + Special Rate 0-22,703

There is no guarantee these rates will stay the same

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Johnnymcg wrote: »

There is no guarantee these rates will stay the same

Studentfinance.ie hasn't yet been updated to take into account the changes made in the budget, including the introduction of a new category to cover half the Student Services Charge.

The reckonable income limits rates for 2011 are below. Taken from citizens information website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/higher_education_grants_scheme.html
    50% of the Student Services Charge paid €55,920 - €66,700
    Student services charge paid €51,380- €61,295
    25% Maintenance €47,205 - €56,320
    50% Maintenance €44,720 - €53,360
    75% Maintenance €42,235 - €50,400
    100% Maintenance €41,110 - €49,045
    100% Maintenance + Special Rate €0- €22,703

The reckonable income rate for the Special Rate of grant has to be confirmed and the income must include one of a range of specified DSP payments to qualify for this top-up rate.

Advertisement