Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and Summer Work

Options
  • 29-05-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi!
    I've gotten really unsatisfactory replies from Social Welfare and their website so thought I'd try here to find out about working during the summer holidays and still getting my BTEA. Is it possible? I've heard of people working but also of being found out and getting cut off! :eek: I'm heading home for the summer months from college and hate the thought of being bored and would love a few hours but to keep my BTEA also? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

BTEA isn't payable during the summer months (unless its work experience that forms part of the course).

So you have the following options:
    1. Find work for the summer and resume BTEA once your course begins again.
    2. Apply for JB/JA (providing you satisfy the qualifying conditions)

From their website
    -If you were previously getting an unemployment payment, the allowance is paid during the academic year only. It is not paid for the summer period between academic years.
    -BTEA participants who cannot find a job during the summer may claim an unemployment payment, but only if they satisfy the usual qualifying conditions.
    -If you are going on to the next year of your course or moving to a higher qualification, you will get your BTEA again from the start of the new academic year regardless of whether you got an unemployment payment for the summer.

Advertisement