Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Scrape a pass in Irish (O) ?

• 29-05-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi I'm getting a bit worried about the Irish exam all i need is a pass in ordinary, I know feck all in the Irish and I was just wondering what would be the best way to get the pass, like what areas to focus on and stuff.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

sorry to say that if don't know Irish at this stage your not going to know it in the few weeks left. Probably just focus on paper 1 and gamble P2 with 2 poems and 1 story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

if your struggling to pass put most of your efforts on letters or whatever is in paper one (I forget the exact layout of the papers) but questions on the poems and stories arent worth a huge amount of marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

P1 is 220 marks. (AFAIK)
    P2 is 110 marks.

The reading comp is worth 100m. Nearly more than P2 alone.
    Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Try not to worry it'll be fine. Pretty difficult to fail it.

You've already done the oral so you've gotten some marks for that :)

Try to do the listenings over and over again and get the marking schemes so you know how much is expected. Re-learn basic stuff and know how to spell it such as days of week, months, weather, news item vocab, school vocab, summer job/camp vocab etc. It would look bad if you couldn't spell the really simple stuff. Note though that for some of the harder words try to just spell phonetically ie.write it as it sounds.

For the reading comprehension learn the questioning words like 'who?, what?, why?, where?, when? how many?' that is a good start so you know if you need someone's name, time name of place or whatever. Bring in a highlighter and if you don't have a clue look for the most unique word in the question then find it in the text and write the sentence that the word is in as your answer. They even tell you what paragraph the answer is in :)

Learn off 3 stories for paper one: party, accident, concert/match

A letter or 2: Summer job, exchange student/holiday

For paper 2 learn a summary of each story. You usually have to write about half of the story in a summary type format and then how a given emotion is seen in it. Learn these emotions it's really important.

Learn a bit about the poems as well. Learn off a few sentences about themes, emotions for each one. One of the questions is always 'do you like this poem', learn off some rubbish about how you like the imagery and how the poet conveys emotion, something that applies to all of your poems.

Be selective with paper 2 at this stage anyway as it's worth less. Put more effort into the poems and stories that are most likely to come up .

Good luck you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Focus on Paper 1!

Practice as many of the papers as you can!

I think section A is usually linked to the oral? Pass times, sport etc...learn those!

Then learn letter phrases! Layout!

• Advertisement
Advertisement