Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone's on 3.Guidence please?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone.
    I have been with Vodafone for years because none of the other providers did any better price wise. This new 3 all you can eat date looks interesting to me. My present phone is the HTC Touch Diamond 2 with Windows 6.1 sim free but who can refuse a free Smartphone.
    I see 3 are giving free on €40 a month an Iphone 4 as well as Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire & Wildfire S.Is there any other phone I should consider?
    I am not a phone expert so my questions are apart from the Iphone do all the other phones in my list run Android software & is it any good as against Windows?
    Quite a few people on here know a hell of a lot more about phones than I ever will so which of my list would be considered to be the most up to date & reliable.
    Apart from calls & texts as well as listening to my music I also need to surf the net when not at home so I need a phone which is fast & reliable with good software updates.
    Sorry if some of my questions are a bit basic but as I said I wouldn’t be into phones as much as some of you experts.
    I would be grateful for any advice received.
    Thank for your time.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone.
    I have been with Vodafone for years because none of the other providers did any better price wise. This new 3 all you can eat date looks interesting to me. My present phone is the HTC Touch Diamond 2 with Windows 6.1 sim free but who can refuse a free Smartphone.
    I see 3 are giving free on €40 a month an Iphone 4 as well as Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire & Wildfire S.Is there any other phone I should consider?
    I am not a phone expert so my questions are apart from the Iphone do all the other phones in my list run Android software & is it any good as against Windows?
    Quite a few people on here know a hell of a lot more about phones than I ever will so which of my list would be considered to be the most up to date & reliable.
    Apart from calls & texts as well as listening to my music I also need to surf the net when not at home so I need a phone which is fast & reliable with good software updates.
    Sorry if some of my questions are a bit basic but as I said I wouldn’t be into phones as much as some of you experts.
    I would be grateful for any advice received.
    Thank for your time.:)

Yes all the rest run android but I wonldn't consider the wildfire or wildfire S if you cna afford the others.

Before you move to Three (or any network). Get a free pre pay sim and test the signal where you live work and play. You want to see good 3G signal with whatever network you move to so you can be sure you get the most from your smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes all the rest run android but I wonldn't consider the wildfire or wildfire S if you cna afford the others.

Before you move to Three (or any network). Get a free pre pay sim and test the signal where you live work and play. You want to see good 3G signal with whatever network you move to so you can be sure you get the most from your smart phone.

Hi cookie.
    Thank you for the reply.
    Why not the wildfire ?
    I live in the South West.There's a 3 agent in the town about 10 minutes walk away.I was in there on Friday & the 3 signal is good in there as a 3 mast has gone up locally in recent times but I will still get a sim card & make sure first.
    Any advise on the other phones I mentioned ?
    Regards.
    Tony.

The wildfire is the weakest of the devices you've suggested. If you've the money then get the HTC Desire S. Not sure if the samsung galaxy s 2 is coming to three but if it is I'd go for this device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Hello Everyone.
    I see 3 are giving free on €40 a month an Iphone 4 as well as Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire & Wildfire S.

There may not be any charge up front, but it's certainly not a "free" smartphone. The SIM-only equivalent of the contract you mention is only €30 a month and also includes the "all you can eat" data. Over the two year life of the contract that goes with the "free" phone, you will pay an extra €240 compared to the SIM-only plan, which also only commits you for 30 days.

You might want to consider whether you really want to commit to a two year contract at a 33% higher price, if you already have a serviceable phone.

The wildfire is the weakest of the devices you've suggested. If you've the money then get the HTC Desire S. Not sure if the samsung galaxy s 2 is coming to three but if it is I'd go for this device.

The Galaxt S 2 is coming to 3 on the Classic Flex €40 plan at €149.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    There may not be any charge up front, but it's certainly not a "free" smartphone. The SIM-only equivalent of the contract you mention is only €30 a month and also includes the "all you can eat" data. Over the two year life of the contract that goes with the "free" phone, you will pay an extra €240 compared to the SIM-only plan, which also only commits you for 30 days.

You might want to consider whether you really want to commit to a two year contract at a 33% higher price, if you already have a serviceable phone.

Thanks for that Gizmo. I hadn't thought of the Sim only option. Probably like a lot of people I only saw the "FREE" phone part & didn't look at other options. My HTC Touch Diamond 2 is perfectly serviceable but it would be nice to upgrade the software to Windows mobile 7. Is this possible ? It has Windows mobile 6.1 at present.

• Advertisement

The Galaxt S 2 is coming to 3 on the Classic Flex €40 plan at €149.

Thanks for that Gizmo. I hadn't thought of the Sim only option. Probably like a lot of people I only saw the "FREE" phone part & didn't look at other options. My HTC Touch Diamond 2 is perfectly serviceable but it would be nice to upgrade the software to Windows mobile 7. Is this possible ? It has Windows mobile 6.1 at present.

Not possible to upgrade ths OS I'm afraid. That's a very good price for the galaxy S 2. Do you have a link or did you call?

Not possible to upgrade ths OS I'm afraid. That's a very good price for the galaxy S 2. Do you have a link or did you call?

Hi cookie.
    I found the information in the Discover 3 magazine I picked up at the local 3 agent last week.Your local 3 shop should have a copy.
    The Galaxy S 11 is available on the flex plans at the following rates.
    It says coming soon.
    Classic flex max €40 = €149.
    Super flex max €60 = €99.
    Mega flex max €80 = €29.
    Ultimate flex max €95 = free.
    All these are 24month contracts.

Further to my earlier question: Which is the better software Android or Windows mobile & more importantly Why ?

Regards.
    Tony.

Thanks amdaley. This is only my personal opinion and I must clarify I use a Blackberry, but from my experience with both OS's (windows 7 and Android)
    I prefer and think that android is better. Windows 7 is still in early stages and updates are due to it soon which will improve it but I still like android devices more. I'd buy one if I didn't love Blackberry's.

I picked up a 3 sim card today.Loaded it up & its fine,3G just as strong as Vodafone.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

That's not a proper test. Actually use the thing for a week or two and see if there are any problems. 3 network has a problem going from 2g -> 3g. If you go inside a building with thick walls you may lose 3g signal, and this problem will kick in when you back outside.

Note the problem seems to only occur when you have an "always-on" connection open. Leave skype running, and see if your phone stays connected. For many people it doesn't, and they need to toggle airplane mode to reactivate internetz.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    That's not a proper test. Actually use the thing for a week or two and see if there are any problems. 3 network has a problem going from 2g -> 3g. If you go inside a building with thick walls you may lose 3g signal, and this problem will kick in when you back outside.

Note the problem seems to only occur when you have an "always-on" connection open. Leave skype running, and see if your phone stays connected. For many people it doesn't, and they need to toggle airplane mode to reactivate internetz.

Vodafone does that down here as well. In parts of the house here I can get 2g only. My partner on o2 is the same.Generally outside we both get 3g. I have the 3 sim in a spare phone & will check reception around the area for a few weeks to see how it compares.
    I don't use Skype on my phone so can't comment.

Checking reception is not gonna help you. Your phone can say 3g+full 5 bars, but no internet will work. That's what it's like on an android phone anyway. Note voice works perfectly, it's just that internet bugs out until you reset.

I'll put some credit on the 3 sim tomorrow & test it out. I have the sim in a HTC running windows 6.1.Don't have an Android phone to test it out.
    What did you mean by the internet bugs out until you reset ?

Problem detailed in this megathread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079085
    You either learn to live with it, or you ragequit from 3.

Problem detailed in this megathread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079085
    You either learn to live with it, or you ragequit from 3.

Thanks for the heads up. Won't be going there :eek:
    Regards.
    Tony.

Thanks for the heads up. Won't be going there :eek:
    Regards.
    Tony.

The decision is yours but that problem pertains only to the iphone. I have a blackberry which usually always has 3G but when it doesn't it seemlessly moves between 2g and 3g.

The decision is yours but that problem pertains only to the iphone. I have a blackberry which usually always has 3G but when it doesn't it seemlessly moves between 2g and 3g.

Thanks cookie.
    I wasn't going for an Iphone4 but that thread frightened me off. Its just the way 3 is dealing with the problem which I don't like.
    I noticed one or two HTC phones with the same problem.
    I will get credit for my free 3 sim card tomorrow & give it a try. The sim is fitted to a HTC Touch Diamond 2 so we'll see.

Well I did a little experiment this evening. No doubt someone here will tell me if it means anything.

I put some credit on the 3 sim in my HTC Touch Diamond 2, windows 6.1 phone.
    I went on the internet while on 3G with 3,went down the basement behind thick walls & rock where I have only 2G with Vodafone.Sure enough the signal went to 2G.
    Went back outside where into 3G zone to see how long it would be before it changed back to 3G. I did this twice.
    On the first occasion it went to 3G after 4 minutes.On the 2nd occasion it took 3 minutes.

I repeated the experiment with my Vodafone sim card installed in the same HTC phone.Again I did the test twice.This time with Vodafone the signal went to 3G virtually straight away.

As I said the issue is primarily affecting iPhones but HTC Android users also report the issue. As a Blackberry user I have no issue moving to and from 2g and 3g. I usually leave my device set to 3G only. I'll only switch to 2g when I need to but GPRS on vodafone is a dog for data (Edge should improves this). I suppose for you it depends on the device you plan to use and if you can live with the problem (which appears to be device specific).

It seems to be a 3 network problem which affects the iPhone4 more than any other model.I'm no phone expect so I can't explain it.Its a pity really as the 3 network prices are very good.
    I will continue my experiments as long as the €10 credit lasts :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Tha Sansumg Galaxy S 2 is now free with 3 on their basic package for a 2 year contract.

I've seen that & it sounds good.I will continue testing around with my free 3 sim card & see how it goes.I wouldn't have the internet on all the time so a switching time of a few minuted between 2G & 3G wouldn't be that important to me as long as it actually switches but I wouldn't touch it if I had to manually switch over myself every time I went from 2G to 3G.

In my experience the problem was that internet simply would not work. Phone would indicate it was back on 3g, but no internet would work unless you toggled airplane mode. So no it's not a matter of just waiting a few minutes, you have to do it yourself _every single time_. This was on android.

I have only a HTC Touch Diamond 2 phone with windows 6.1 so I cant test it on Android. Maybe I can borrow one off the local 3 agent. I thought the problem was mostly on the Iphone 4 ?
    It switched back on my windows phone ok but took a few minutes as I have said. With Vodafone on the same HTC phone it switched straight away ?
    The internet was working it was just slow to switch back to 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The Vodafone switching is faster cause it's not actually switching networks. The 3 sim will have to search for 3 3G then connect

Walkman wrote: »
    The Vodafone switching is faster cause it's not actually switching networks. The 3 sim will have to search for 3 3G then connect

Thats interesting.Hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You could have a look at Samsung Omnia 7. Very fast and slick phone with live tiles that display information so you wouldnt need to go hopping from an app to app. Its just all there. Glance and Go :) hardware button for camera is a big plus as well if you like to quick snaps :)

The new Windows Phone operating is nothing like the old one. And isnt a copy of anything thats out there and is nice and slick.

You can get it for free on 18 months Classic Flex Max plan with all you can eat data included. That offer is on in Carphone Warehouse.

Its pretty cool now. Will be even better with the new coming update in coming months.

Link to the phone here :) probably one of the most solid handsets out there at the moment as well.

You could have a look at Samsung Omnia 7. Very fast and slick phone with live tiles that display information so you wouldnt need to go hopping from an app to app. Its just all there. Glance and Go :) hardware button for camera is a big plus as well if you like to quick snaps :)

The new Windows Phone operating is nothing like the old one. And isnt a copy of anything thats out there and is nice and slick.

You can get it for free on 18 months Classic Flex Max plan with all you can eat data included. That offer is on in Carphone Warehouse.

Its pretty cool now. Will be even better with the new coming update in coming months.

Link to the phone here :) probably one of the most solid handsets out there at the moment as well.

Thanks for that.I'll be near a Carphone Warehouse shop tomorrow so I will take a look.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

In my experience the problem was that internet simply would not work. Phone would indicate it was back on 3g, but no internet would work unless you toggled airplane mode. So no it's not a matter of just waiting a few minutes, you have to do it yourself _every single time_. This was on android.

I have a Galaxy S on android and that never happened to me. I have never touched airplane mode and have no issue switching between the two fine...

• Advertisement

So what is happening then ? I thought it was mainly the Iphone until someone else said it was on Android as well. Is it the phones or is it the network & is it in just the built up areas :confused:
    Where I live down here in the South West my HTC Diamond 2 changed back to 3G after a few minutes which was due I was told to 3 having to search for the 3G signal since they use the 2G from Vodafone.The internet was fine just obviously slower on 2G until it changed back.

Advertisement