Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 week in Ring-what to do/see?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Will be spending 1 week at the end of July based in Ring.Need recommendations on what to see and do,general touristy things.Will have car so dont mind driving to explore parts of Cork.Also any nice restaraunts in Ring or Dungarvan.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ardmore and its round tower, monastery, lovely craft/pottery shop. Cliffhouse hotel for a barlunch (dinner if you are feeling v. flush.)

The Mahon Falls drive from Leamybrien is lovely, you can also see if you can find the "magic road"

Lots of nice places to eat in Dungarvan, top of the price range would be the Tannery

Lismore, castle gardens, cathedral and good food in the "Chop House"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks byhookorbycrook-I'm sure there's plenty to see and do.Gonna spend a day at Fota wildlife park,check out Cobh and a bit of east cork.Heard Ardmore is lovely and cliff house hotel.Looking forward to my hols now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are going to east Cork, Midleton farmers' market is on a Saturday,well worth a look. The Farmgate is lovely for lunch/dinner.
    Don't forget the Jameson distillery in Midleton too.
    http://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/default.aspx

Stephen Pearse pottery has re-opened once more at Shanagarry,there is also a Kilkenny shop where his shop once was. Lunch at Ballymaloe might be a bit dear, but there is a little cafe at the back of the shop too.
    Barrycourt Castle is worth a stop.
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/South-West/BarryscourtCastle/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Do you feel like stretching your legs a bit?

Coumshingaun is probably the most beautiful part of the county, in the Comeraghs, about 2km from the road.

Also plenty of pretty little villages nearby like Ardmore and Stradbally.

If you go as far as Waterford City the Spraoi weekend is on. It has stuff for young and old. :)

Regarding restaurants, Ireland's only Michelin star restaurant outside of Dublin is in Ardmore.

Thanks folks-I'll try do most of your recommendations.

• Advertisement

Coumshinguan has its very own version of Nessie, my Deise mammy swears. :D

She also claims that one of the Lord Waterfords took rope and weights up to the lake but couldn't find any bottom to the lake:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If you do go to Ardmore / Cliff House, be sure to do the cliff walk first, to work up an appetite.
    Lismore is fantastic in the summer time. Great place for kids, with the park. And I highly recommend eating in the Chophouse.

Plenty to do and see in Dungarvan too, of course.

No restaurant in Ring, sadly (You'll get a basic dinner in An Bialann next to spar).

As well as the Chophouse I would recommend The White Horses and Cliff House in Ardmore. In Dungarvan you have to try The Tannery. Nude Food for more casual lunch etc., and Quealy's Bar is more gastropub style.

noby wrote: »
    Plenty to do and see in Dungarvan too, of course.

Any recommendations for Dungarvan noby?Only ever been to Waterford city so looking forward to exploring the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I think Helvic head is lovely.

I used to spend a few summers down there at the coláiste. We used to walk to Helvic head some days or just go to the little beach just behind the coláiste (but that little beach was very smelly!

Clonea beach is across the water from Ring, it's a big long and clean beach, lovely for a walk or to dip the toes in the water if you are brave!

Helvic is a little fishing port and there are good views if you want to climb the hill overlooking the pier.

Mount Mellary abbey is outside Cappoquin, if you are feeling holy, nice little cafe there too. The grotto on he way to the abbey was the site of some "moving statues."

• Advertisement

Thanks folks!is tramore worth a spin?or is there anything else over that part of the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

She also claims that one of the Lord Waterfords took rope and weights up to the lake but couldn't find any bottom to the lake

My cousins dived one of them in scuba gear and couldn't reach bottom, there must be one but it's deeper than scuba range! They do underwater salvage and welding on oil rigs so they are well able for the depth.

Lot of good food in Dungarvan, Nude Food for lunch, Tiffany's, The Mill, Lawlors Hotel, Davitt's Bar, Sea Palace, Indian Ocean, Merry's Bar, Crew's and The Tannery! That's not even all of them, just my favourites.

Great cinema in town, King John's castle, lawn bowls in Abbeyside Park ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

toby2111 wrote: »
    or is there anything else over that part of the county?

Yeah 50cent in the city if that's your thing,or the Spraoi which will be on all over the last weekend of July.

50 cent not my thing.Spent a day at Spraoi last year,good buzz about the place.If I've time,I'll take a spin over again but ive to leave on the Sunday of the bank holiday.

Tramore is grand in off season, but can be skanger fest on weekends . There's nice little beach beyond, over towards the Doneraile cliffs, where the Metal Man is.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

www.itsafeeling.com for all tourist info about Waterford county.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 IrishCalypso

Thanks folks!is tramore worth a spin?or is there anything else over that part of the county?

Drive from Dungarvan to Tramore along the Copper Coast - more than six beautiful beaches. http://www.copper-coast.com/

See the cliff view opposite the copper mines, then on to Dunhill Castle and Ballyscanlon Lake, Sea arches at Kilfarrasay beach, Knockeen and Gaulstone dolmens.
    In Tramore itself there are plenty of activities: blokarting, surfing, swimming, horse-riding, beach walks, cycling. Check out tramoretourism.net for more.

And if you are here at w/e tune into Tramore Community Radio 104.1fm for all the local/community updates.

Have Fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I would say so, the coast road is a nice drive, Between Dungarvan and Tramore you have the Copper Coast and about 20 beaches.

In Tramore its self there are a few things to do, such as Surfing and the Amusments fairground/arcade.

Also, as your staying in Ring, there are always things going on trí mean na Gaeilge in the area. I can send you the number of the woman who organises most of the stuff there if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

• Advertisement
Advertisement