Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamuid Gavin's flower show entry cost Irish taxpayer €2.5m - report

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Seems like theres nothing you cant justify by saying "it'll increase tourism" these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Seeing too much of this Galvin lad who is as vain as they come.
    Put 2,500,000 euros out on the table in 50 euro notes and your head will fall off when you think it went into creating a garden

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He'll have to leave Ireland soon anyway, as some people may take more than offence when he tells them that their town is a sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Cork City Council and Fáilte Ireland sponsored the construction of the garden

...WHY?!
    Additionally, surely subsidising such a contest entry is also a bit unfair on other entrants who have to try and manage without state funding for their project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Andip wrote: »
    Gavin was on the phone to Ray Darcy last Wednesday & Darcy asked him why he wasn't there when the medal was awarded and the cameras were looking for an interview.

Gavin said he didn't like publicity and took himself off to the sea-side and switched his phone off.

Let alone the money ploughed into it, he couldn't even bother to stay around and publicise it !!!

What a load of toss
    this guy is everywhere and loves the publicity
    he's doin that humble winner bull****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wibbs wrote: »
    My blood is actually boiling over this unbelievable waste of money. Just so that ego in wellies can sit smug with a Chelsea gold? TBH what were they thinking? He's hardly great shakes as a garden designer. Well beyond his one trick pony idea.

Want a garden like his? Get clients to collect pics and ideas and "feelings" about the "space". Aside; anyone who uses the word space in garden or house design, punch them. Punch them hard. In the face. Ignore clients cos you're an artist. Level everything unless you've a "feature tree", plant either in rigid rectilinear fashion or for an extra cost a few curves. Then build a massively out of scale glorified gazebo out of girders. Again for extra cost throw in a few curves. For even more money put it on stilts(the crane was the natural conclusion). Add fancy furniture that will be like a soggy ciggie butt after the first rains. For full effect paint the daft oversized eyesore a "wild" colour. Add outdoor lighting and a fire pit. Tree ferns a given. Stand smugly back. That'll be 50,000 quid consultancy fee. The workers may have to wait for their cash mind. Thank you and goodbye. PS I'll throw in the stupid fúcking accent for free. BTE Gavin, you're supposed to remove the marbles from your mouth after the elocution lesson is over.

As for the tourist value? What. The. Jumping. Fúck. Forget accent mangler. Somebody in local government/civil service is on drugs and not the doctor approved ones. 2 and a half million? On that? Sweet zombie Jesus. 500k for a crane? Are they claiming that's the hire of it? You could buy a fúcking crane for that. I really thought I'd heard everything. Jesus.

The Emperors New Clothes comes to mind .He as them all fooled into thinking a bit of rusty metal and a few ferns wil bring in the tourists .
    Eejits , the whole lot of them .
    Every grown up in the country knows if you have no money and no income you use the little you have for essentials .You dont spend your savings on a metal box for the front garden and hope you neighbours will drop in a couple of Euro on their way to the shops .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

funnily enough i have a beautiful big garden, and it did not cost a cent to establish, just got cuttings from friends, and put in nice hedges and lawn along with flowering shrubs from the cuttings

He's gavin a laff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

goat2 wrote: »
    where is this overpriced structure that the cork people paid for, is it centre city, is it in cobh, crosshaven, fermoy, or which town in cork is it,

One of the articles mentions The Mardyke in Cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

goat2 wrote: »
    funnily enough i have a beautiful big garden, and it did not cost a cent to establish, just got cuttings from friends, and put in nice hedges and lawn along with flowering shrubs from the cuttings

Don't let (pay) Gavin to redo it for you - he'll more than likely transport one of the old Ballymun Towers to your garden with a sprig of parsley sticking out of a top floor window and charge you ongoing maintenance for it.

He's so cool.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sickening piece of name dropping the super star gardener wrote of his 'Irish' sky garden below.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/diarmuid-gavin-gardening-column/2011/05/28/diarmuid-gavin-s-dreams-come-true-in-magic-garden-115875-23161789/

I'd say that thing will barely pay the wages of the crane driver when it does come back and will end up on a concrete plinth in a matter of months. I hope it doesn't but whatever.

Imagine falite Ireland comparing that thing to the Eiffel tower? WTF!?

Sickening piece of name dropping the super star gardener wrote of his 'Irish' sky garden below.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/diarmuid-gavin-gardening-column/2011/05/28/diarmuid-gavin-s-dreams-come-true-in-magic-garden-115875-23161789/

I'd say that thing will barely pay the wages of the crane driver when it does come back and will end up on a concrete plinth in a matter of months. I hope it doesn't but I whatever.

Imagine falite Ireland comparing that thing to the Eiffel tower? WTF!?

I need a sick-bag after reading that poser's sh1te:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its a big expensive glorified hanging basket.
    How twee can you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah he dropped some big names in that article alright.. it's funny when I think of Gavin over there in Chelsea with all the British aristocracy, I dont think of them as looking on him as one of their peers.. I think they see him more as this gardener..

^^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Andip wrote: »
    Gavin was on the phone to Ray Darcy last Wednesday & Darcy asked him why he wasn't there when the medal was awarded and the cameras were looking for an interview.

Gavin said he didn't like publicity and took himself off to the sea-side and switched his phone off.

Let alone the money ploughed into it, he couldn't even bother to stay around and publicise it !!!

If he took taxpayers money ( which we are borrowing from the IMF @ high rate of interest ) + failed to be bothered to capitalise on the publicity ,he should have to reimburse the taxpayer for this extraordinary waste of money out of his own pocket. No wonder the country is ******.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

What an awful lot of moaning for one thread. miserable bunch aint ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So we are all agreed Gavin must be jailed and his garden destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

gigino wrote: »
    If he took taxpayers money ( which we are borrowing from the IMF @ high rate of interest ) + failed to be bothered to capitalise on the publicity ,he should have to reimburse the taxpayer for this extraordinary waste of money out of his own pocket. No wonder the country is ******.

Is it taxpayers money or money we borrow??? make up your mind before you start your bitching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

EI111 wrote: »
    I would bet this garden will add a value of over 2.5m to the irish economy. Of course this is unquantifiable so I can't prove it, but what do people suggest? That we just create a series of soviet bloc-esque boring grey towns where no tourist would like to go?

They did that already, FF allowing unregulated building everywhere :mad: Might not be soviet style, but the mock-Tudor estates, especially empty ones aren't far off in terms of greyness :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It seems Diarmuid is fairly annoyed that he hasnt been paid yet.

article here
    Mr Gavin said the council was "extremely difficult to deal with" and he wrote of sitting around in council offices for an hour- and-a-half waiting to meet with officials.

His frustration was born largely of the fact he had gone ahead with the garden having been invited to do so by William Galinsky, former chief executive of the Cork Midsummer Festival, and later, with the blessing of Fáilte Ireland and Cork City Council. He had drawn on his own resources and was aggrieved at the perceived delay in reimbursement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

How does a garden cost €2.4 million? Is it made of gold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cungryhunt

whoever compared it to the eiffel tower needs to be sanctioned for stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I say we sentence Mr. Gavin to 10yrs.................in the hanging basket.................in Cork

How does a garden cost €2.4 million? Is it made of gold?

He must have planted a lot of carats.

DG's vanity project can't be used if it gets a little windy.

http://www.hortweek.com/Landscape/article/1071271/High-winds-leave-Diarmuid-Gavins-Chelsea-garden-pod-grounded/

25+mph gusts and it's grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

SeaFields wrote: »
    It seems Diarmuid is fairly annoyed that he hasnt been paid yet.

article here

Urge to kill, rising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

At least you get something for your money. Do you realise NAMA has set aside €2 billion for salaries and bonuses - and since the banks have been bailed out all that NAMA does is keep house prices artificially high?

If they promised they would pay him then they bloody well should pay him. He should be mad - he agreed a price and did a good job, which is more than you can say for a lot of the wasters that get big payouts from the Govt. He has staff to pay etc. Look at that bloody stupid ad for Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport ... who the hell was the target audience there?

I'm sure the other posters on here would be delighted if told their dole / wages would be paid "in good time" probably several months from now if they were lucky.

BTW I have no great love of DG or his work but different strokes ...

professore wrote: »
    At least you get something for your money. Do you realise NAMA has set aside €2 billion for salaries and bonuses - and since the banks have been bailed out all that NAMA does is keep house prices artificially high?

If they promised they would pay him then they bloody well should pay him. He should be mad - he agreed a price and did a good job, which is more than you can say for a lot of the wasters that get big payouts from the Govt. He has staff to pay etc. Look at that bloody stupid ad for Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport ... who the hell was the target audience there?

I'm sure the other posters on here would be delighted if told their dole / wages would be paid "in good time" probably several months from now if they were lucky.

BTW I have no great love of DG or his work but different strokes ...

Is that you Diarmuid?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

professore wrote: »

Well personally, it's not the fact that DG spent so much money on the garden that irks me.. it's the fact that a few gombeen councillors agreed to fund his project in the first place. And Failte Ireland yet again showing that they haven't got a damn clue.. comparing that yoke hanging from a crane to the Eiffel Tower like.. wtf!

A few years ago the government refused to spend 10 million on the cervical cancer vaccine for girls.. times were better then than they are now and yet they still agree to pay for this fcuking flight of fancy. Yeah.. I think people are entitled to feel slightly peeved.

Advertisement