Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gift for a teacher

Options
  • 29-05-2011 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I have no plans yet..this is merely research into the idea
    anyway...I am just finished school and i have studied chemistry for my leaving...my chemistry teacher left due to pregnancy at the start of 6th year..we knew she was however complications caused her to leave early..7 weeks....and our school had no replacement...anyway we missed 35 classes of chemistry which is about 7 weeks....after those 7 weeks we got a replacement...obviously she was a brave woman to take on a chemistry class 7 weeks behind....btw i'm also in the biology class that the teacher left from as well so i was behind in biology and chemistry..
    my point is that she finished our course and against all the odds we have it done.....so i was wondering firstly would it be nice to get her a present from the class..also what should we get her if we do get her anything at all.....she has worked so much for us..extra unpaid classes and what not...notes and help galore so i think we should thank her someway
    I would like some comments back as I don't know should i do anything at all ????

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Honestly, as a teacher, she'd be most pleased with you all doing well in the exam.
    Aside from that, maybe a card signed by you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

How about a card signed by you all and maybe a one4all voucher or something?
    I know for one of our teachers who stayed back etc we got her a beautiful handmade card with her name on it and our school and "class of 2011".. We all signed it and we all gave €2 and got her a €30 voucher for a shop we know she'd like. Its just a token but she loved the card so much she cried! It was os sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

I also think a card signed by you all and €2 each should get 40 or so worth of vouchers for a local restaurant or One4all vouchers. I've seen a fair few €2's being collected in the past few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

The honours Irish class in my school all chipped in €20 each for the teacher and there is 'bout 20 of them in it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

NotExactly wrote: »
    The honours Irish class in my school all chipped in €20 each for the teacher and there is 'bout 20 of them in it.:eek:

Jeeeeeeeeeeez thats a bit over the top now! :eek: What are they getting her/him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

With just a week and a few days until the start of the leaving buying gifts for teachers should be the least of your worries :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Cinema vouchers! No one likes having to pay for the cinema...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭JackN688

there is only 12 or so in the class :P......im liking the card idea :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seriously, expensive presents are just embarrassing for a teacher to receive, not to even start about kids who might not be able to afford it being pressurised to bring in money.

She'll be delighted with a card, especially if a few of you write in it how much you appreciated her hard work getting the coursework finished with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Seriously, expensive presents are just embarrassing for a teacher to receive, not to even start about kids who might not be able to afford it being pressurised to bring in money.

She'll be delighted with a card, especially if a few of you write in it how much you appreciated her hard work getting the coursework finished with you.
    I'm with spurious on this, and my mother was a teacher.

She would just have felt guilty over expensive stuff. A nice card, something small and personal if you really want ... she was animal mad, so she got a fair few little teddy-bears cats and dogs over the years, and she loved them all immensely ... I very much doubt that any of them cost more than a fiver, but they got pride of place in the sitting-room and around the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

My class made a card (a big one :3) and some people baked. we all chipped in for a box of chocolates and two bottles of wine. :'] She loved it!
    oh and there's 11 in the class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

JackN688 wrote: »
    I have no plans yet..this is merely research into the idea
    anyway...I am just finished school and i have studied chemistry for my leaving...my chemistry teacher left due to pregnancy at the start of 6th year..we knew she was however complications caused her to leave early..7 weeks....and our school had no replacement...anyway we missed 35 classes of chemistry which is about 7 weeks....after those 7 weeks we got a replacement...obviously she was a brave woman to take on a chemistry class 7 weeks behind....btw i'm also in the biology class that the teacher left from as well so i was behind in biology and chemistry..
    my point is that she finished our course and against all the odds we have it done.....so i was wondering firstly would it be nice to get her a present from the class..also what should we get her if we do get her anything at all.....she has worked so much for us..extra unpaid classes and what not...notes and help galore so i think we should thank her someway
    I would like some comments back as I don't know should i do anything at all ????
    teachers pet much? its her job to teach you to the best of her ability! I suggest you stop worrying how you should suck up to your teachers and concentrate on your exams. After all, it won't be your wonderfully nice teacher marking your exam!

soup1 wrote: »
    teachers pet much? its her job to teach you to the best of her ability! I suggest you stop worrying how you should suck up to your teachers and concentrate on your exams. After all, it won't be your wonderfully nice teacher marking your exam!
    And I suggest that if you don't have a constructive comment to make, you refrain from posting.

After all, it's really no skin off your nose, is it? Perhaps you should take your own advice and concentrate on your own exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

A card with real, personal messages of how much you appreciate her will probably be enough, but if you really want to get her a gift (that she can use!) how about a pen? A pen sounds like a crap gift, but I got A.T. Cross pens for my research supervisors when I finished college & they really appreciated them (and I've since seen them on their desks when I've been back in their offices). Think they start at about €40-50. I have 3 "fancy" pens that I've been using for donkeys years (one I've had for about 17 years now!), and I'll never lose them.

Or maybe your class can put your heads together after the exams & think of something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

The gesture (thanking her) is what's important, not really the gift. If it was a big 25/30 class maybe chipping in for a voucher would be a good idea but with just 12 of you see if you can stretch to a modest bouquet of flowers and a card, or a nice box of chocolates and a card..... or just a card even. The card, and nice messages of appreciation is what she'll be really glad to get!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

And I suggest that if you don't have a constructive comment to make, you refrain from posting.

After all, it's really no skin off your nose, is it? Perhaps you should take your own advice and concentrate on your own exams?
    The truth hurts, but we are all thinking it! Perhaps you should allow for a voice of reason in this thread? Silly me, i forgot the moderators on boards controlled opinions! Sure who needs free speech when you have fascism ? Keep up the good work mods!

The truth hurts, but we are all thinking it!
    I am delighted that you know what everyone is thinking; strangely, I seem to have been born without that ability.
    Perhaps you should allow for a voice of reason in this thread?
    And you also consider yourself the arbiter of reason? Silly me, I suppose if you know what everyone else is thinking, then that certainly qualifies you quite uniquely!
    Silly me, i forgot the moderators on boards controlled opinions!
    No, we don't ... but we insist on courtesy and constructive posting.

The OP asked for an opinion as to whether it would be an nice idea for the class to get a small gift for the teacher, given the circumstances he outlined ... he did not ask for your snide and childish comments about being a teacher's pet or sucking up.
    Sure who needs free speech when you have fascism ? Keep up the good work mods!
    There is no free speech on Boards, there never has been and there never will be. This is a privately owned website, and the owners are perfectly within their rights to set their own standards for it, including standards of civility.

And the standards set in *this* particular forum in this respect are particularly high, even by Boards' standards. Live with it, or don't use the forum.

If you want to indulge in childish name-calling, I suggest 4chan.

I also suggest that if you are studying history for your Leaving Cert that you re-visit the topic of fascism.

Let me quite plain: post again in this thread in any fashion, or in like vein anywhere in this forum, and you will be banned. Your choice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

(Primary) teacher. Any teacher I know would treasure a card,home made even better, with genuine thanks. Money is tight all round, so I'd be mortified if people were collecting to nuy me a present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

I don't think its sucking up to want to show your appreciation for someone who's done a great job, especially when they had limited time available...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 chickenrun2011

what about a nice bottle of wine or sparkling? you can even get a class picture printed on the label with one of the companies. we used them for a wedding wine before. pretty cool. you can upload your own pics and thank you text etc online. www.design-your-wine.com

• Advertisement

Im not disputing the fact of her teaching ability or methods. I was merely looking for suggestions on how to thank her for putting in so much work.....she took on a class 7 weeks behind with 50% of the course to finish including all of organic chemistry.....deserves some bit of praise would you not think!!!

Thanks...seems like i've started a little argument here...

JackN688 wrote: »
    Thanks...seems like i've started a little argument here...

Not at all.
    You asked your question, you had a selection of answers and suggestions some of them from teachers.
    You even gave one boards.ie's sad idea of being funny the chance to be immortalised on the Internet.
    Win win I'd say.

Advertisement