Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous tenants leaving broken couch.

Options
  • 29-05-2011 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'll try keep this brief, writing on my bf's behalf as he hasn't got an account.

My bf was renting a room in a shared apartment. Apartment had 10 bedrooms, and was divided into three. He and his two friends had one kitchen, sitting room and bathroom, the other 7 tenants had their own kitchens and bathrooms divided up between them, completely separate and away from my bf's area.

Anyway, when the peoples' leases expired, they all moved out. My boyfriend asked to stay on for a few months. The landlord is keeping him on but doesn't want to make a 3 month lease and wants cash in hand. He IS PRTB registered by the way. Can anyone tell me if my boyfriend is safe in assuming he'll still be entitled to his deposit back after the 3 months?

The main issue is - when everyone moved out, my boyfriend was moved into a smaller kicthen and bathroom, to himself. The previous tenants haven't received their deposit back yet as the landlord was gone on the weekend but is transferring it to their accounts later. When my boyfriend moved into their kitchen and bathroom, they were filthy to be frank. We cleaned the kitchen because we couldn't cook or do anything when I visited unless we scrubbed it a fair bit. The bathroom, he just cleaned the toilet as he was going away the next day for a week and wanted the landlord to see the state of the place. He sat on the couch, only to have it collapse from under him, because the main beam underneath is was broken off, and the couch was being held up with a knife block! The girls did this, then put the knife block under it and left it for my boyfriend to get in trouble for! He texted the landlord to inform him, but it's been a few days now and the landlord hasn't bothered to respond.

Can he be punished for the couch? He had only moved into the room a few hours when it happened, and I'm a witness to it already being broken, so his deposit should be safe, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If the landlord didn't do an entry inventory then he won't be able to keep any of the deposit when your bf leaves.
    And as no lease has been signed, the lease is verbal and it is a Periodic Lease which has all the conditions of a Part 4 lease plus any other conditions that were in the original lease.
    If the landlord wants cash in hand - no problem if you get a receipt for it.

Advertisement