Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Information Systems

• 29-05-2011 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi lads/lasses,

Just wondering if the BIS course in CIT is any good? Is it a worthwhile course?

and also on a more cheeky note, is the course male dominated or is there an equal split between men and women?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hi there jimcoolding

I was studying BIS onto just before the X-Mass exams and find out that it was not the right filed for me as i hated the maths and acc part of it but liked ths bis and programing part of it

But its one of the best course's CIT has. There will be a big job filed to play from after your four year but you have to be willing to work hard at it because its not a easy course the points might be low but you will have to put a lot of work init to get good marks because a lot of people drop out after the 1st year i think its something like 35% are gone in the 1st year.

For your 1st year you will be doneing 5 basic Modules of Accounting, Management, BIS, Programming and Maths

Accounting - You will find it very easy if you have done it for your LC but it can be hard to pick up if you have never done it before

Management - Is easy if you no a lot about business and it basicly business from your LC carryed on at a HL

BIS - Is a great modules and you can find out a lot about business IT and how it works and what is the next step in IT
    In the lab it will be excel and is maybe the easyist part of BIS in 1st year

Maths - Is maybe the hardist module you can do with over 50% failing it but if you are good at maths this will be easy for you

Programming - Is VB for 1st year are very easy to pick up on and i enjoyed this the must and made me think was i doing the wrong course. It is the only heavy computer stuff you will be going for the year

But its a great course that made me think i wonted to get into design with Programming, Video editing and music

For the male / female it was 54 people on the course with 15 girls and the reaming guys but who really cares about that

Anyway do the course if your willing to work hard and you will get a lot out of it and enjoy it a lot but like me i found out i wonted to design stuff eg video games

Anyway ask me about anything i will help you to my best on the 10 weaks i was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

Thanks man, very helpful.

The only thing that has me concerned is the maths bit, what type of maths do you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

[UCC Student] BIS UCC is better [/UCC Student]

But seriously if you have the points and want BIS consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

maglite wrote: »

:D

Haven't put in any work this year so getting BIS in UCC would be a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

maglite wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Here's a link to the Maths module we had in 1st year;

http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/module/moduleId/4536

Any other questions let me know, I'm still doing it and love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

this was my undergrad degree when it was a fresh course. let me know if i can help but things mght have changed since i was there

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SamuelBam

I am going into 2nd year now myself and I think BIS is a very good course and is often considered better taught in CIT than in UCC. CIT students doing it usually end up with better qualifications than those in UCC as well; mainly because in CIT you have more hands-on experience with the software and work experience and what not.

Ok so about the course: Well it pretty much is Business and the use of technology in Business. You will do subjects such as Business Management (Very similar to Leaving Certificate Business), Math's and Statistics (Kinda like ordinary and higher maths mixed a bit but very manageable), Accounting Systems (The easy stuff of L.C. Accounting such as Trial Balance and Balence Sheets). You will also have a few generic subjects like Communications and of course the Degree subject of BIS which is basically Business.

In depth: Each subject will consist of Lab and Lecture. For a lecture your whole class of 60-odd will be together in a lecture. You will than be scheduled for Lab which usually are on computers so for example I have Maths in a lecture but another day I will have a lab of Maths so I do this maths on the computers. Same goes for Accounting. For Creativity, Innovation and Teamwork (CIT - Communication style yoke) you will have a presentation to make and the same for BIS Lab. In BIS lab you will work with Microsoft Office Excel a lot in 1st year.

Accounting is the same as the Leaving Certificate. Your lab will consist of the accounts on the computers using office programs.

Now I think it is a great course because, of course I like business and love computers! The time-table is also very fair as in I finish everyday at 3, start at 9 or 10 and 19 hours a week in total.

In CIT then there's some banter. You make friends with most of your class. We all go out together often enough and the craic is unreal. Even with the mature students haha. There is about 15 girls/45 lads at the moment and a number dropped out.

Your job prospects from the degree are varied and quite broad. For example you could work for Apple in technical support or other area. Facebook, Google etc. are all potential employers. There are of course many many companies and business other then these big main ones.

Advertisement