Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being alone with a child? What are the regulations!

• 29-05-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I was in a situation recently when I had to spend a considerable amount of time alone with young children in a childcare facility by myself, and had to bring the children into the kitchen bathrooms with other children etc as i could not leave them alone in the classroom. . .

I know that there are ratios for teacher to children, but are you allowed/covered by HSE to be in a building alone with children. . .

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Is it alone with one child, or alone with a number of children?

For your own safety and protection, you shouldn't be alone with onechild at any time. Any accusation, of any kind, could ruin your career and cause huge problems. It's better to not leave yourself in any situation where you're alone with a child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

E.T. wrote: »
    Is it alone with one child, or alone with a number of children?

For your own safety and protection, you shouldn't be alone with onechild at any time. Any accusation, of any kind, could ruin your career and cause huge problems. It's better to not leave yourself in any situation where you're alone with a child.

+ 1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

The best advice I can give you is to leave the door opened if you ever have to be alone with one child.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

The best advice I can give you is to leave the door opened if you ever have to be alone with one child.

The teacher leaves the door open. The solicitor says "come in, Ms Jones and take a seat" and then closes the door, leaving himself alone with his client behind a closed door. If a solicitor brings in a witness, it is for the purpose of protecting himself from allegations of negligent advice. Most do not. And the solicitors most likely to do so are female.

You are in far greater danger being alone with two children than with one child. Please remember that an initial letter of complaint is not protected by qualified privilege. Making an allegation in writing about what happened or what you allege happened when you were alone with another person is extremely dangerous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

How does this work with Resource and LS teachers? (in one to one situations, that is)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

dambarude wrote: »
    How does this work with Resource and LS teachers? (in one to one situations, that is)
    Avoid one-to-one as much as possible. You either leave the door open(not ideal with some l/support or resource children who can be easily distracted or you have a glass panel in your door. Or else, in-class support.

I wouldn't take a child on my own if I was a Resource/LS teacher - I've only ever heard of children being taken with another child/children, or with an SNA. Way too many problems taking one child on their own - I know there are children who would benefit more from one to one, but you need to consider your own situation too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Thanks for the replies on that...they really really are an eye opener.

This is the sort of thins we're not told anything about in college. Without much experience it's hard not to be naive about these things. And unfortunately this naivety could land you in hot water very unexpectedly.

It's pretty scary what goes over your head when you're newly qualified - you really don't know what's the norm.

Advertisement