Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long will lasagne keep?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Silly me just made a dish of lasagne only to realize it'll only be me for dinner tomorrow!

Will it last untill tuesday for dinner? Or will it spoil before then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It should be grand on Tuesday if you keep it in the fridge & reheat through before serving.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It'll be fine until Tuesday, but you can also freeze it in portions if you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Lasagne is so much nicer the next day or even 2 days later. I normally make it to last a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Lasagne is so much nicer the next day or even 2 days later. I normally make it to last a few days.

I feel the very same way - always better the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are millions of airbourne contaminants in your kitchen, you can try and mimic what food processing plants do and keep them in a (semi) sterile environment. In this case if you knew you were going to keep it for a day you would cover it in tinfoil while cooking, or towards the end. Then take it out and do not remove the tinfoil, not even for a split second, cool as quick as possible and keep in the fridge. This way nothing should "land" on your food, and if it does it is still piping hot and most would be killed.

Same goes for jars of food you plan to use again, best to prechill them before opening, then take the cap off and replace it ASAP and stick back in the fridge immediately, so few contaminants will land in the jar and it will be already cold so they will not grow well.

I have cooked rice in jars using proper sterile techniques and ~6 years on it still has no contamination (I do not plan on eating it!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement