Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths proofs hl

• 29-05-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Anybody have any predictions on what proofs are going to come up on either Paper1 or 2...
    I have a sneakins suspicion that integration of a sphere, a circle proof and perpendicular distance proof will appear. Anybody else have any predictions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

The factor theorem hasn't been asked in around 5 years or so. De movres theorem for negative integers has never come up. Personally i don't think it will come up.

One sin x or cos x may come up on the proof by 1st integers. One of the proofs of the proofs of the quotient rule or product rule may come up. I don't think they have ever come up.

I don't think the perpendicular proof will come up in my opinion. What i think will come is the cos(A+B), you know the long one. It would come up as a (c) part and would be lovely.

The proof by induction inequalities looks very likely I know people don't like it but its easy to pick up around 13 marks out to the 20. Know how to prove the equation for 1 (p(1)) then assume p(k) is true and Put in p(k+1). thats 10 marks and any real attempt should merit an attempt mark of 3.

Thats all i can think of right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

irish_man wrote: »
    The factor theorem hasn't been asked in around 5 years or so. De movres theorem for negative integers has never come up. Personally i don't think it will come up.

One sin x or cos x may come up on the proof by 1st integers. One of the proofs of the proofs of the quotient rule or product rule may come up. I don't think they have ever come up.

I don't think the perpendicular proof will come up in my opinion. What i think will come is the cos(A+B), you know the long one. It would come up as a (c) part and would be lovely.

The proof by induction inequalities looks very likely I know people don't like it but its easy to pick up around 13 marks out to the 20. Know how to prove the equation for 1 (p(1)) then assume p(k) is true and Put in p(k+1). thats 10 marks and any real attempt should merit an attempt mark of 3.

Thats all i can think of right now. :)

Wow! That input alone was a great help. You're right about induction, simple.

However i cant find the cos(A+B) proof in my book for some reason. But, it propably comes up in paper 2. Could you provide me with a link for this formula?

Thanks for the input..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

http://www.mathsireland.com/Pred_2011.htm
    there are predictions for every question up here, just click on the question and bob's your uncle, he isnt too bad, he predicted them very well last year and a great site too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

noddy78779 wrote: »
    However i cant find the cos(A+B) proof in my book for some reason.

Thanks for the input..
    im guessing that proof is just the same as the Cos(A-B) proof exept its
    Cos(A-(-B)) ? i may be wrong tho .....

what theorems come up on paper 1 ? im gonna prioritise them because i have 4 free days after paper 1 to have a look at the paper 2 ones .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Tan theta = +- m1 - m2/1+ m1m2 or sth like that :) and cosx or sinx for 1st principles. oh and that a pair of parallel lines map onto two more paralell lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

im guessing that proof is just the same as the Cos(A-B) proof exept its
    Cos(A-(-B)) ? i may be wrong tho .....

Yea thats the one. I meant cos(A-B) in the first place.
    Cos(A+B) can be deduced that way alright!

irish_man wrote: »
    Yea thats the one. I meant cos(A-B) in the first place.
    Cos(A+B) can be deduced that way alright!

Now that makes sense.. Just did that exact one last week. Thanks mate!

http://www.mathsireland.com/Pred_2011.htm
    there are predictions for every question up here, just click on the question and bob's your uncle, he isnt too bad, he predicted them very well last year and a great site too :D

He has predictions ?? :o Must look up that site asap.

Advertisement