Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Repair

• 29-05-2011 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Anyone know any good, quick and cheap places that do computer repair. I was hoping for a place that won't charge me an arm and a leg for the job. I don't mind dropping it off at the place or picking it up. Definitely a place that won't charge me unless they get my system working. Any advice on specific places or a warning about others?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a computer repair place out in Castletroy, opposite the Hurlers bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is a computer repair place out in Castletroy, opposite the Hurlers bar.

Actually Billy has moved out to the church road in Raheen

Heres his website have used him a few times good work and prices http://www.expertpcrepair.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joanie1985

i know its far but there is a brillant place in newcastle west the number is 069 69552 the place is very efficient i have driven there and back to drop my computer as they were recommended by my sister and the service was fantastic. they will give u a price before they fix the laptop/computer....

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Anyone know any good, quick and cheap places that do computer repair. I was hoping for a place that won't charge me an arm and a leg for the job. I don't mind dropping it off at the place or picking it up. Definitely a place that won't charge me unless they get my system working. Any advice on specific places or a warning about others?
    Cheers

Whats wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Also CRS just outside Caherconlish, on the Herbertstown road. Took my PC in there earlier this year, was completely dead but CRS fixed in 2 days for €75!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Man, there are a lot of PC repair guys around!

I used be asked before if I would ever give up the day job and do it full-time. No chance I said, too much competition and with the way PC/laptop prices are going they will be considered disposable in a few years time.

Just retrieve stuff from the hard drive and buy a new PC.

Anyway, as a shameless plug (hope this is okay mods), I can be contacted through my sig. Good service, good prices and I do house calls.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fine by me Sonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Cheers

Is it not a bit unfair to expect someone to give up any of their time for free to look at a problem?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

TonyStark wrote: »
    Is it not a bit unfair to expect someone to give up any of their time for free to look at a problem?
    If you asked someone to paint your house, agree a price, they turn up every day to do the job, but the house isn't painted at the end, would you still pay them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Clareman wrote: »
    If you asked someone to paint your house, agree a price, they turn up every day to do the job, but the house isn't painted at the end, would you still pay them?
    That's a bad comparison. A PC repair job can change depending on what you find during fixing it (A windows freezing issue might end up being a dying piece of hardware). The house being painted job won't get bigger.

• Advertisement

A PC repair job shouldn't be difficult, it's either going to be hardware or software related, you troubleshoot it accordingly. I will admit that after a while you get to expensive components that you have to try to swop out to troubleshoot the issue, but the reason people would go to anyone to fix something for them is because of their skills. I would classify a car as far more complicated than a computer and if a mechanic told me that they weren't able to fix my car cause they weren't able to figure out what was wrong I wouldn't be paying them for their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

A PC repair job shouldn't be difficult, it's either going to be hardware or software related, you troubleshoot it accordingly. I will admit that after a while you get to expensive components that you have to try to swop out to troubleshoot the issue, but the reason people would go to anyone to fix something for them is because of their skills. I would classify a car as far more complicated than a computer and if a mechanic told me that they weren't able to fix my car cause they weren't able to figure out what was wrong I wouldn't be paying them for their time.
    Or both.

I'd agree with no fix no fee to an extent. If it's not economical to fix it, should the technician get nothing for his time because the customer doesn't want to continue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

TonyStark wrote: »

You either price by time or the job.

You would classify a car as being more complicated than a computer...

Fixed a few motherboards recently with your soldering iron have we?

The thing with cars it actually is quite easy to diagnose faults thanks to electronic computers and plain old visual inspection. It takes a good bit of skill to get down and dirty and actually fix things. If you know your way about a car then its as easy to fix a PC.

But due to the necessary nature of motor vehicles it makes more business sense for a mechanic not to charge to diagnose a problem and then account for it as a labour cost once the job is completed. Its quite a competitive industry.

The person with the problem with their car needs to get it fixed as quickly as possible and thats a reason why mechanics never factor in a quote for a job.

The perception is and will always be that because its just a computer and someone sits at a desk to try to troubleshoot it then there is no actual work being done and after all it's easy for them. The fact of the matter is that once a PC has been troubleshooted accurately and correctly then its a trivial enough task to come to a resolution as its either a software or hardware problem. But the real time has been spent troubleshooting which in my book is work and should be paid for.

Or both.

I'd agree with no fix no fee to an extent. If it's not economical to fix it, should the technician get nothing for his time because the customer doesn't want to continue?

I recommend that you always charge a flat fee for an intial look at the problem. €30-€50 is reasonable. You would pay a locksmith the same to open a locked door and he can do that in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

to use the analogy of the car again i had my car hooked up to bmw computer the other day i hour cost me 80 euro just to tell me what was wrong with the car the fix is going to cost 600 euro:( ouch and you pay for the diagnostic time before they will go any further

The way people charge for fixing cars varies enormously its a poor comparison.

The problem is fixing computers or cars, can be very time consuming. Most people are unwilling to pay for that time. So its uneconomical to spend much time at them. Of course if its just a hobby, then time may not be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

dharn wrote: »
    to use the analogy of the car again i had my car hooked up to bmw computer the other day i hour cost me 80 euro just to tell me what was wrong with the car the fix is going to cost 600 euro:( ouch and you pay for the diagnostic time before they will go any further

With cars you are also paying for the use of the rather expensive diagnostic equipment as well (yes i know us techies use expensive computers too).

Your drifting into a whole different topic there. Personally I think the costs charged by garages is often extreme profiteering. There was case a few years back of a manufacturer charging £1000 for a ECU which was then found to be a off the shelf part in Radionics for £50 or something. Theres a lot of very sharp practise by dealers and manufactures.

Computer repair, uses expensive diagnostic equipment too. The IT Guy who spent a few years learning all the skills to fix the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 peter_domain

I was told about a company called "the tech bucks" they called around to my house took my laptop, gave me one of their own till they got it fixed.... which was a day ltr. only charged me 40 yoyos. said the laptop was riddled with viruses. now its as good as new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

PC Doctor is fairly reasonable and very good. Had a problem with my laptop last year and found him great. I think he's based in Raheen but he collects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

there is a place in upper gerald griffith st, it also has an internet cafe,,,they do repairs in there and are ment to be very reasonable..a couple of doors back from the traffic lights..

Advertisement