Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking 90 (or myself)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

First time I broke 100, I also broke 90. Kill 2 birds with the goal and all that :pac:

Show off.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    I'll race you so bob :)
    Best of luck with it on Saturday.

Your on.................Are you playing the Boards Outing AJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First time I broke 100, I also broke 90. Kill 2 birds with the goal and all that :pac:

Thats for that buster... Won't type the 5 letter word that I said out loud upon reading that :D

I play the exact same, I am left handed but play golf right handed. My natural shot is a fade too. I never heard anything about the normal shot being a draw. I certainly haven't come close to getting a draw on my shots!!

I've hit a few draws, maybe a handful... all by mistake... On dogleg rights that were perfectly suited to my fade :D :mad:

Think the common consensus is that right handers normally play with a draw as their natural shot, remember hearing it a few times. Most of the low handicappers I've played with all have a draw.
    *Trying to be careful here as I know there's no normal shot, swing , stance etc in golf.

I've hit a few draws, maybe a handful... all by mistake... On dogleg rights that were perfectly suited to my fade :D :mad:

I would say when you set up for a dogleg right you finish your swing off on the outside therefore encouraging a draw, ease back hit 75% and hit inside to out for a draw and then outside to in for a fade, I notice I am hitting draws easier when I am easing off a bit.

Don't want to get your mind messed up in thought though!!!

• Advertisement

Don't want to get your mind messed up in thought though!!![/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12PTCs9-F0Y&feature=related

There was a stage when all that was going through my mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

I'm left handed to but play golf right handed, started two years ago and had a natural draw, then about a year ago started to fade the ball, the change from a draw to a fade, happens nearly overnight and caused me a lot of problems for a while, now I get a little mix of both, but never a strong fade or draw. But enough to miss a green by 10 feet either side

ssbob wrote: »
    Your on.................Are you playing the Boards Outing AJ?

I'm not down on as 1 of the 31 ssbob, I was just onto Keano there, really struggling to get the day off. I'll know by the end of the week for def.

I challenge you to a duel if I get down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Count me in as 3rd man as have only broken 90 twice and a long way from that right now.
    We can have a royal rumble :D

Right, off to practice the short game. Half hour of putting and hour or so of P&P.

Its great when a week off golf seems like ages...

• Advertisement

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Count me in as 3rd man as have only broken 90 twice and a long way from that right now.
    We can have a royal rumble :D

Virgins only :)

I'd be on for that

Virgins only :)

I'd be on for that

Update: Lesson booked for Thursday night as round played at the weekend yielded a woeful 114...........not good enough, lost about 8/9 balls, however went out for 7 holes the other night and had gross 37 so not too bad and had a few wild shots!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Update: Lesson booked for Thursday night as round played at the weekend yielded a woeful 114...........not good enough, lost about 8/9 balls, however went out for 7 holes the other night and had gross 37 so not too bad and had a few wild shots!!
    Well done.

I've had 3 lessons and this weeks golf has been terrible. I've been working on my ball position so it was always going to be worse before it got better

Well done.

I've had 3 lessons and this weeks golf has been terrible. I've been working on my ball position so it was always going to be worse before it got better

TBH I was really frustrated after playing Saturday because when I went out I felt confident that I was going to drive it straight and also that my irons were solid but put the first 2 drives Out of Bounds:eek: and think that really got into my head, I went out the other night then not expecting much, parred the first hole I played and went bogey par bogey double double double, but all the doubles could have been singles and one should have been par just bad course/green management.

Is it ball position in your stance you are working on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

TBH I was really frustrated after playing Saturday because when I went out I felt confident that I was going to drive it straight and also that my irons were solid but put the first 2 drives Out of Bounds:eek: and think that really got into my head, I went out the other night then not expecting much, parred the first hole I played and went bogey par bogey double double double, but all the doubles could have been singles and one should have been par just bad course/green management.

Is it ball position in your stance you are working on?
    Ya, up until recently I had taken the same stance over every shot, obviously not ideal but pro was more concerned with me having a proper swing that trying to change a number of items all at once.

Ya, up until recently I had taken the same stance over every shot, obviously not ideal but pro was more concerned with me having a proper swing that trying to change a number of items all at once.

Ya makes sense, you were prob losing a bit of distance with the longer irons, making them go higher ya?

Ya makes sense, you were prob losing a bit of distance with the longer irons, making them go higher ya?
    It did indeed. I've worked hard at the range and on the course but at present it's not going too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

It did indeed. I've worked hard at the range and on the course but at present it's not going too well.

I was working really hard myself the past few weeks Keano, could not put a score together. My ball striking was really terrible. Was adjusting a lot of things and could not get it together so I asked one of the lower hc players at out club (only playing jusr over 2 years :rolleyes:) what he thought. He said that he has went through really bad periods when he was working really hard but every time he got to the far side of it he was that little bit better.

Guess you just have to keep plugging away and it will eventually click ;)

k.p.h wrote: »
    I was working really hard myself the past few weeks Keano, could not put a score together. My ball striking was really terrible. Was adjusting a lot of things and could not get it together so I asked one of the lower hc players at out club (only playing jusr over 2 years :rolleyes:) what he thought. He said that he has went through really bad periods when he was working really hard but every time he got to the far side of it he was that little bit better.

Guess you just have to keep plugging away and it will eventually click ;)
    I hope so. Sunday was shocking bad. I was hungover and tired but still went out. 5 points through 9 tells the story. :o

I kept plugging away putting down golf ball after I'd lose one but I had to call it a day. I was at that stage where I just was fed up and it was not going to get better

I hope so. Sunday was shocking bad. I was hungover and tired but still went out. 5 points through 9 tells the story. :o

I kept plugging away putting down golf ball after I'd lose one but I had to call it a day. I was at that stage where I just was fed up and it was not going to get better

Keano hopefully we will be better in 2 weeks time, what handicap you off?

• Advertisement

Keano hopefully we will be better in 2 weeks time, what handicap you off?
    My lovely club has yet to give me an official GUI even though I handed my cards in weeks ago. Tbh I don't know if I will stay with them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

My lovely club has yet to give me an official GUI even though I handed my cards in weeks ago. Tbh I don't know if I will stay with them next year.

Have they giving you your card or membership number ? If they have you could log onto golf net and see if their is a HC up.

k.p.h wrote: »
    Have they giving you your card or membership number ? If they have you could log onto golf net and see if their is a HC up.
    Haven't got that either. We paid a deposit and they never mentioned about having to pay up in full before we got that. We've asked time and time again and keep getting told it will be left in the pro shop :rolleyes:

It's really put me off the place... Will be looking around next year at other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0161allin

Hi guys Loving your Board, kepp it up, all your stories sound so like mine, starting to hit it in to the low 90s to mid 80s on a good day now,was a bit like lot of your cases but got some lessons and stuck religously to what i was taught even do that was difficult in itself but to move forward ya have to take the punishment and get worse playing off 17 now but was just reading there about your handicaps and not been given by your golf club yet. myself and few of my mates are not members of golf clubs and we were looking for handicaps so i searched the net and found a site with a downloadable handicap software program with free 45 day trial and to buy some thing like 60e which we prob will. Its called www.handicapmaster.org which also has a scorecard website connected for online results and which gives handicaps and calculates from scorecards given so it allows us as a group of friends to keep track of handicaps as best we possible can, we started with 3 cards and took it from there.. I notice some you guys are maybe starting to play together so might be worth a look for the Board if you wish and for bit of fun. Were starting society in our local so we'll prob use for that. Best of luck guys keep at the golf its the most frustrating thing in the world some days but you cant beat been out playing golf, only wish i had been taught by a pro when i was 10 yrs old,which my kids will be.. If your down the kildare loais area and heading to the heritage in killenard post it up and might join you some day !!

God I'm getting bad at updating this... Will try to get it more regular than the once the weekly post over the previous two weeks.

The general feedback I got when I started this was to work on my short game, think 70/30 ratio (short/long) is a good figure that I drew from that (and a little advice from elsewhere) and I'll try to stick to that in future.
    I decided to just practice my short for the month of June in order to re-program myself into my the mindset of short game is key. As you might be aware, I suck to this fairly well...baring one little faux pa on the Monday after Rorys win, I just couldn't help myself :D But as it turned out, I wish I did :(

I didn't take note of the hours spent practicing (something I'm going to do in future to help with the discipline) but I reckon I've spent close to forty hours solely on putting and P&P since starting this. I added on the first few days of this month as my penance for trying to emulate Rory's drive :)

So, where do I stand after the first month and a bit of this.
    I've noticed a big improvement in my short game thankfully and I think I'm starting to make better decisions in this area. Confidence is up from 90 yards and in and hope I can build even more on this.
    Best thing that I've discovered and improved upon is the chip and run, have started to get the knack of this now and gotten over my initial it's not a sexy shot mindset.
    Also very happy with my putting, still not great, but the time spent has seen an improvement, hopefully the upward curve will continue. 3 putts are far from a thing of the past but they're becoming less frequent.

So, where to next.
    I'm going to keep to the 70/30 ratio and before I start practicing the 30% long game, I'm going to get a lesson.

Update on golf last week.
    Got 5 days of golf in over the past week, 2 rounds and 3 practice sessions of approx 2.5 hours per session. Unfortunately the 2 rounds were solo rounds. I decided to pop out to Stepaside public course for this (becoming my second practice area)
    After withdrawals by my playing partners (valid reasons on their part, I haven't lost them as friends just yet :D I'm trying to keep the golf talk to a minimum with them as they haven't quite developed my heroine-esque addiction to this yet :) )
    I started off with good intentions of trying to mark my 2 solo rounds as if I was with partners...however, I just find this impossible at present. Just don't have the discipline for this yet. It always starts with the "sure I'll just drop another ball and practice" :) Cue dropping balls all over the place!
    Anywho, played pretty well, the usual couple of 7's and 8's but they're getting less frequent.

Highlight of my golfing life came on my second solo round. Two elderly lads where playing ahead of me, I didn't know that they had stopped on the next tee. They had stopped for a chat and were watching me finish the hole. Struck a sweet 3 wood from 190-200 yrds out (2nd shot on par 5) onto what I thought was the green...got there and spotted it in the bunker, bunker shot ended up 5 feet from hole (after I had hit the flag) but I nailed the putt for par (Birdie, thanks Dougal). Lovely!!!
    Walked onto the next tee, and the lads said to play on through. Took my tee shot, 7 iron from 150yrds and landed on the green, rolling just off. As I was walking off, one of the lads said "That's a lovely swing you've got there".................... WELL, I nearly went weak at the knees :D I was like a 13 year old girl after meeting a pop idol (never been a 13 year old girl so I'm guessing there)
    Gave my thanks when I composed myself and we had a little chat, gave them a bit of the story and got loads of encouragement from them... We've all heard about that sweet shot that will get you back the next time but that experience will get me back for the rest of the year :p

Playing Luttrellstown tomorrow evening, hope to bring some of my recent confidence...and my lovely swing... out on the course!!!!
    My lovely swing produces a hell of a lot of slices though :confused:
    No smart comments on the elderly guys sight/sexuality/sanity please :D

Cheers for your contributions guys, and I'm gutted I can't make it down to Dundrum...It looks like I'll be starting a new job soon (couldn't make it as I couldn't get time off from old job originally...don't think I will get away with asking for the day off with new job as they're giving me 3 weeks in August for honeymoon) Fair play to both of you for the effort you put into it!

Just in relation to your above posts, this guy wasn't too bad :D and he seemed to do ok with similar stances.... Way too much golfing info, theories etc out there :confused: Sorry if it messes with your heads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smKIu2uARU

There is indeed lots of theories and the great man himself is right. :D

My swing for every shot is the same but just my hands are slightly forward on long irons to get the downward impact. If you actually look at Jack's hands they are forward so that's all I am going for.

There is indeed lots of theories and the great man himself is right. :D

My swing for every shot is the same but just my hands are slightly forward on long irons to get the downward impact. If you actually look at Jack's hands they are forward so that's all I am going for.

Still time for us to at least win one major I reckon, Just need to iron out those few mistakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Highlight of my golfing life came on my second solo round. Two elderly lads where playing ahead of me, I didn't know that they had stopped on the next tee. They had stopped for a chat and were watching me finish the hole. Struck a sweet 3 wood from 190-200 yrds out (2nd shot on par 5) onto what I thought was the green...got there and spotted it in the bunker, bunker shot ended up 5 feet from hole (after I had hit the flag) but I nailed the putt for par. Lovely!!!

I'd give yourself a birdie on that one - well done!

• Advertisement

dougal wrote: »
    I'd give yourself a birdie on that one - well done!

Numbers not my strong point (accountant supposedly) :(
    That would be a birdie!!!

Thanks Dougal

Well, Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again.:)

Advertisement