Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking 90 (or myself)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

This is a great thread - so good in fact I think ill start one myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A dark cloud rests above me as I write this, and it's not the meteorological kind!

Had the day off yesterday and decided to go to the range early doors before a late tee time in L'town.
    Range went great, kept my discipline and was mainly practicing short irons, wedges, a bit of hybrid and 3 wood thrown in. Was connecting sweetly with all, had the feeling of being half decent, looking around the grass area of the range with a bit of confidence. Others were struggling and I was connecting lovely with near;y all. (Thin lie between smugness and self confidence I know but it's the latter.)

Had a 6pm tee time, left at 5 for my 30 min trip. Arrived at 6;30 to find my mate slightly annoyed on the practice green. He was pushed for time originally but ended up having to wait half an hour for me...The extra practice paid off for him though, he was sinking them all round (made me feel slightly ok for making him wait :) )
    I knew I'd be early so said I'd try a different route than normal, ended up on the N4 at one stage, Blanch later on, was everywhere bar close to the course... I was travelling from Terenure and shouldn't have got close to either :mad:

There is nothing good I can say about the round apart from the fact that I finished it and had one par and a few bogeys on the back 9. The front nine makes me shudder even now.

Was absolutely knackered by the end, don't think I'll hit the range the morning of a game again (well not an xl set of balls anyway). Mentally beating myself up in the car for 90 mins didn't help either.

Lovely course though, as bad and all as I feel, It aint a bad day when you can get out on a course like that. Score was approx 115 at best...Mate decided (thankfully) that judging by the head on me to mark the horrible holes (2-6) as scratches and told me at the turn to just aim for a decent stableford on the back 9.

Front 9 5points
    Back 9 15points (Off self given 18, no official yet)

Need to get back on the horse this weekend. Down to the bosses family in Kerry at weekend. Future mother in law plays so will try to get 9 holes in at her course to get last night out of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Need to get back on the horse this weekend. Down to the bosses family in Kerry at weekend. Future mother in law plays so will try to get 9 holes in at her course to get last night out of my head.

We may be long lost twin brothers AJ as your storys about your rounds bare quite a resemblance to my own golfing legacy.

Lucky you that the mother in law plays, I was supposed to have a lesson tonight but because I have friends staying tomorrow night, the GF wants me to clean the house in advance of them coming(fair request seeing as I have 3 friends staying for a lads night out), just hope that I will get to play at the weekend afterwards though.

Will keep you updated on the progress.

ssbob wrote: »
    We may be long lost twin brothers AJ as your storys about your rounds bare quite a resemblance to my own golfing legacy.

Lucky you that the mother in law plays, I was supposed to have a lesson tonight but because I have friends staying tomorrow night, the GF wants me to clean the house in advance of them coming(fair request seeing as I have 3 friends staying for a lads night out), just hope that I will get to play at the weekend afterwards though.

Will keep you updated on the progress.

She's "future" mother in law for the next 4 and a half weeks...Clinging onto freedom :D Will ask my own mother if she put a struggling golfer up for adoption
    Don't get me started on cleaning the house... I'm sure you're mates would disown you if the house was in a bad shape for the lads night out :D
    Fado fado, In the good auld times we got a cleaner in twice a month, she was very reasonable and a relative small price to pay to keep relationship on track. Herself used to clean the house in advance of the cleaner coming.......:confused::eek::mad::)

1. After achieving my best score of 95 last month, I'm going to set myself the target of breaking 95 twice this month. If I can start shooting getting around that range constantly, hopefully the 90 won't be too far away.

2. Get lesson to try and get my horrible slice under control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Good thread. Out of interest what driving range do you go to near Terenure? I use stepaside and leopardstown but would love a range where you can hit off grass instead of the mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Hi aj . I'v just been bouncing around on a few other forums reading into whats the most important area of the game to practice and where shot are lost. I ended up coming across this. These stats are from as guy called Prof. Mark Brodie and seem pretty legit. Everyone always says work on your short game etc. Turns out thats not exactly true if your looking at where you need to go if you want to scrub the majority of shots off. I still personally think short game is very important but by the looks of it ball striking is where the majority of shots are gained in the beginning. Don't know why I threw this into your thread, maybe just some food for thought :)

1000x500px-LL-b1a2d8d7_Screenshot2011-05-02at2.02.34PM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Having been in a similar position to aj at the time he started this thread, my opinion is that there are 2 things required to get to where he (and others here) want to be:

1) course management
    2) short game

Do not stop all long game practise - but if you are slicing a lot of your drives and getting into trouble then use an iron or a hybrid from the teeing box on those holes that normally you get into trouble on.
    For tricky greens - play short of them if possible - often you are better off looking in at the pin rather than having to lob a chip up a bank and onto a downward slope.

Keeping the ball in play leads to consistency and confidence. Having short game skills can save you 6-10-20 shots a round as it gets better and better. Also for the short game side of it I would strongly recommend using one type of ball and sticking with it. Thus it's reaction on and around greens will be consistent.

A guide I saw recently said - if you are losing more than 3 balls a round spend about €20 per dozen.
    If less than 3 then spend about €30 a dozen.
    If you often finish the round with the same ball then spend as much as you like.

When this thread was started I had not submitted a full card that had broken 100.My best stableford score had been 32. Since then I have submitted an 89 for 41 points and have submitted 3 36 points and a 33. My bad rounds now are what my good rounds were at the beginning of the year - and the key has been some short game practise and much better course management.

Weetabix wrote: »
    Good thread. Out of interest what driving range do you go to near Terenure? I use stepaside and leopardstown but would love a range where you can hit off grass instead of the mats.

Hey Weetabix, thanks, I use the Spawell Range, it's not the prettiest range but they've got 10 or so bays off the grass. Should have no hassle finding it on the net, but, send me PM if you need directions.

Cheers Kph and Nocal, and fair play Nocal on your progress.

I failed to mention it, but I left my driver in the bag on the back 9 the last day, used my 3 wood and started to hit fairways. Scored 15 on the back 9 with it and they're fairly long holes out there. Will continue to use 3 wood until I book myself a lesson.
    My mate that I was playing with is around the same level as myself, in fact, I'd been outscoring him recently as I've been improving and he hasn't been playing as much. However, he shot an 89 the last day, he never uses his driver, 3 wood all the way, I think he hit every fairway bar 1 the last day.

Think it proves the point of course management, playing with clubs you'er comfortable with and thus gain confidence. When I look at it that way, and based on the fact he broke 90 on a fairly though course, it gives me some hope that I'll break it sooner rather than later.

On reflection, I was in no fit state mentally when I teed of on the first on Wednesday. I had spent the hour before winding myself up for getting lost, ran straight from the car to the tee without taking a breath. I've learnt to make sure I'm in the zone when starting a round, it can quickly snowball into a disaster if not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Thanks aj, i know spawell, have only been there once years ago, didn't realise they had bays off the grass, will give it a try some night.

Personally I find it very hard to hit 3 woods off the tee, feel way more comfortable with the driver but like you AJ, I seem to hit a woeful Out of Bounds slice every now and then, my home course is long so there is maybe only 1/2 holes you could hit irons off the tee, but maybe when I visit shorter courses I might consider it.

Put a rescue club in the bag recently and it seems to be working a treat for me!!

Weetabix wrote: »
    Thanks aj, i know spawell, have only been there once years ago, didn't realise they had bays off the grass, will give it a try some night.

Just over to the left hand side of range Weetabix, think they only open it during the summer months so it prob wasn't open when you visited.

Personally I find it very hard to hit 3 woods off the tee, feel way more comfortable with the driver but like you AJ, I seem to hit a woeful Out of Bounds slice every now and then, my home course is long so there is maybe only 1/2 holes you could hit irons off the tee, but maybe when I visit shorter courses I might consider it.

Put a rescue club in the bag recently and it seems to be working a treat for me!!

Separated at birth, Gutted I cant make the trip next week, we could have looked for each others slices :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

A dark cloud rests above me as I write this, and it's not the meteorological kind!

Had the day off yesterday and decided to go to the range early doors before a late tee time in L'town.
    Range went great, kept my discipline and was mainly practicing short irons, wedges, a bit of hybrid and 3 wood thrown in. Was connecting sweetly with all, had the feeling of being half decent, looking around the grass area of the range with a bit of confidence. Others were struggling and I was connecting lovely with near;y all. (Thin lie between smugness and self confidence I know but it's the latter.)

Had a 6pm tee time, left at 5 for my 30 min trip. Arrived at 6;30 to find my mate slightly annoyed on the practice green. He was pushed for time originally but ended up having to wait half an hour for me...The extra practice paid off for him though, he was sinking them all round (made me feel slightly ok for making him wait :) )
    I knew I'd be early so said I'd try a different route than normal, ended up on the N4 at one stage, Blanch later on, was everywhere bar close to the course... I was travelling from Terenure and shouldn't have got close to either :mad:

There is nothing good I can say about the round apart from the fact that I finished it and had one par and a few bogeys on the back 9. The front nine makes me shudder even now.

Was absolutely knackered by the end, don't think I'll hit the range the morning of a game again (well not an xl set of balls anyway). Mentally beating myself up in the car for 90 mins didn't help either.

Lovely course though, as bad and all as I feel, It aint a bad day when you can get out on a course like that. Score was approx 115 at best...Mate decided (thankfully) that judging by the head on me to mark the horrible holes (2-6) as scratches and told me at the turn to just aim for a decent stableford on the back 9.

Front 9 5points
    Back 9 15points (Off self given 18, no official yet)

By the way great post and I have been following it closely. Best of luck and with the dedication you seem to be showing I would think you will be breaking 85/90 soon enough. My point, and I will no doubt get criticised for this, is that I feel the driving range is a waste of time. When I say that I mean the majority of them. Try find a grass driving range (if you are not using one) as hitting the balls of a mat can be misleading. Just my thoughts as you will never take a divot on a mat which can throw many beginners of and stop them completing a full follow through, hence costing them a lot of shots on the course. And good point on not hitting the driving range on the morning of a game. What I would do is what you plan to do and get there early and spend 15/20 mins on 100 yards and in with the SW, LW and so on and 15/20 mins on 10 foot and in putts.
    I am playing Concra Wood tomorrow and got 350 balls at the driving range yesterday to prepare and will rest completely today which works for me. I hit 50 each on LW, SW, PW, 9, 8,7 and 6 iron - the majority of shots I will hit on a course.
    Obviously everyone is different and no doubt what works for one person wont work for another. However, like I said a very good and interesting post you have and maybe just try the grass driving range if you can find one near enough to you. Keep up the good work you will get there in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

How long do you spend up at the range to hit 350 balls ?

G'sus I know I've enough getting through 70 and by the end I'm just wasting balls by hitting them quicker and not taking as much concentration in each shot !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

SM746 wrote: »
    By the way great post and I have been following it closely. Best of luck and with the dedication you seem to be showing I would think you will be breaking 85/90 soon enough. My point, and I will no doubt get criticised for this, is that I feel the driving range is a waste of time. When I say that I mean the majority of them. Try find a grass driving range (if you are not using one) as hitting the balls of a mat can be misleading. Just my thoughts as you will never take a divot on a mat which can throw many beginners of and stop them completing a full follow through, hence costing them a lot of shots on the course. And good point on not hitting the driving range on the morning of a game. What I would do is what you plan to do and get there early and spend 15/20 mins on 100 yards and in with the SW, LW and so on and 15/20 mins on 10 foot and in putts.
    I am playing Concra Wood tomorrow and got 350 balls at the driving range yesterday to prepare and will rest completely today which works for me. I hit 50 each on LW, SW, PW, 9, 8,7 and 6 iron - the majority of shots I will hit on a course.
    Obviously everyone is different and no doubt what works for one person wont work for another. However, like I said a very good and interesting post you have and maybe just try the grass driving range if you can find one near enough to you. Keep up the good work you will get there in no time.
    I would totally agree with what your are saying about the range. I use one but it's off matts and tbh I don't really see improvement on the course. Would love to use a grass range but none nearby

Cheers SM, thanks for that advice, how in the hell do you manage 350 balls? What are they feeding you with? :D

Joking aside, yip I agree with you on the grass at range point. The local range has a grass area and that's where you'll find me.
    I normally hit 110 balls and I find it hard to say focused till the end with that.
    A very low handicapper, that I'm lucky enough that he said he'd hit the range on a regular basis with me soon, told me that he recommends about 50-60 max.
    His teaching is that you take the exact same approach to each one as you do on the course. He takes quite a while before each one of those, lining them up, going through his pre-shot routine etc. This is something I don't do at present with 110 balls.
    I'm not saying he's right, as you say, each to their own, if its working for you than that's what matters.

He's also got me to really focus in on my target area at the range.
    Before that I always seemed to find the fairway at the range... it's about 400 yards wide :D
    I've also gotten into the habit of giving each iron a fair shot at the range, they all get an equal run out these days.

Re Getting there on time
    Completely agree that this is needed too... the fact that I'm an absolute fn eejit at times scuppers this though. The last few times that I've given myself enough time to get to a course for 30mins practice, I've gotten lost and got there an hour later...Hopefully lesson is learnt from the last day though, now I just have to work on not being an idiot :o

Thanks for the encouragement, much needed after Wednesday

The 350 balls takes me bout 3/5/4.5 hours or so depending on how it is going, sometimes I work on little factors in my swing such as yesterday. The time comes from being a teacher on my summer holidays so literally 5/6 rounds a week until the beginning of Sept :D The concentration can be hard and I follow a simple approach of 2 hits and then 1 of deep concentration. Basically 2 down toward the yardage markers with no real set target, just concentrating on a clean hit and distance, and then on the third, I pick out a target out to the sides and try get as close as possible to it and I repeat that. I got lessons a few years back from an excellent coach and that was his philosopy and it is something I have continually adopted whenever I head up to the range (about twice a month, once a month for 350/400 balls on the irons but like I said only if its a grass one and once more for 100ish on the driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 7 wood).

Another little tip I adopted when I started out playing golf was that I never used to carry a driver. I am not sure how your driving is but take note next time of how good it is. If it is putting you in awkward situations of the tee (in rough, behind trees, etc) try the 3/5/7 wood and take the accuracy over the distance. I might only use my driver 3/4 times on a round of my home course (7000ish yards of the whites) depending on the wind. The point being accuracy over distance as any wayward shots with the wind costs you dearly, esp now in summer that rough is not being cut.

Everyone is different though and your mate who hits 60/70 max obviously has the formula that works from him, I just prefer to go through my clubs thoroughly and I think it works for me.

You seem to be doing very well encouraging yourself and the fact your setting sensible targets will help you a lot

Another little tip I adopted when I started out playing golf was that I never used to carry a driver. I am not sure how your driving is but take note next time of how good it is. If it is putting you in awkward situations of the tee (in rough, behind trees, etc) try the 3/5/7 wood and take the accuracy over the distance. I might only use my driver 3/4 times on a round of my home course (7000ish yards of the whites) depending on the wind. The point being accuracy over distance as any wayward shots with the wind costs you dearly, esp now in summer that rough is not being cut.

7000 yards :eek: off whites:eek: where is your home course? Thats long.................

I consider my course long which is 6518 off whites!!!

A lot of people tell me to leave the driver out of the bag but TBH i get in the same trouble with the 3 and 5 wood off the tee so makes no difference!!!

• Advertisement

7000 yards :eek: off whites:eek: where is your home course? Thats long.................

I consider my course long which is 6518 off whites!!!

A lot of people tell me to leave the driver out of the bag but TBH i get in the same trouble with the 3 and 5 wood off the tee so makes no difference!!!

Murvagh. Yeah its long so it is and when the wind blows there aint too many tougher in the country I would guess. I have been lucky that I have a set of woods that I am extremely comfortable with and when the wind blows I just ignore the driver as it can be a hindrance with narrow fairways and high rough. Tbh keeping the ball in play for me is the sole and only criteria I look at when aiming for a low round

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

Murvagh.

Played it once...clocks changed by the time we got back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

On the strategy side, I think the most important thing is to play safe when you can. E.g. a tough par 4 and you hit it into the trees....objective number 1 - get it back onto the fairway. If you do that and have a tough 2nd shot TOTALLY IGNORE your shot into the trees....don't make it worse...just lay-up short of the green. You might still get up & down for a 5 but at worse a 6. If you're a +18 handicap then you'll still probably get 2 points!

The other thing I have employed is never trying to hole anything outside 8 feet. I just lag it up there and take my 2 putts. Interestingly, I'm holing the odd one just as I did before. I practive my 2-4 footers a lot before heading out and am therefore comfortable lagging the long putts knowing I'll make the next one

HTH

Went out on Sat for a round and even though I wasn't playing particularly well, my short game was in good shape so was scoring well, so much so that I reached 70 through 14 holes, so I was on for a 90 if I could bogey the last four holes:

First up, Index 1 Par 4 15th, hit a nice drive but still too far from the green especially with the pond in front, laid up beautifully with a 7 iron and had sw left to the pin which I proceeded to blade and shoot through the green, ended up making 8 :(

Bogeyed the next so was still on for a PB(sub 95 round) but made a mess of the 17th and 18th to finish with a 99.

Can see my game coming together though.:D Roll on next week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Went out on Sat for a round and even though I wasn't playing particularly well, my short game was in good shape so was scoring well, so much so that I reached 70 through 14 holes, so I was on for a 90 if I could bogey the last four holes:

First up, Index 1 Par 4 15th, hit a nice drive but still too far from the green especially with the pond in front, laid up beautifully with a 7 iron and had sw left to the pin which I proceeded to blade and shoot through the green, ended up making 8 :(

Bogeyed the next so was still on for a PB(sub 95 round) but made a mess of the 17th and 18th to finish with a 99.

First Keano and now Bob...seems like Im up against it in the last group out in Dundrum !!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

alxmorgan wrote: »
    First Keano and now Bob...seems like Im up against it in the last group out in Dundrum !!! :D
    Should be an interesting group. We all talk a great game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'm going out to play this evening but regardless I'll be posting later on how shiiite I played:pac:

Went out on Sat for a round and even though I wasn't playing particularly well, my short game was in good shape so was scoring well, so much so that I reached 70 through 14 holes...to finish with a 99.

You had me worried there ssbob :) Didnt get that game in over weekend, will update later. Day 2 of new job and haven't read the internet usage policy just yet......Trying to be good and actually do something for a change! :P

Christ I wish I was heading to Dundrum next week, that's a nice 3 ball... you'll prob end up hating each other after it though... I reckon Keanos a bandit and has been playing us all along :D

Should be an interesting group. We all talk a great game :D

Edit, we all talk a great amount about our p*ss poor game:)

• Advertisement

You had me worried there ssbob :) Didnt get that game in over weekend, will update later. Day 2 of new job and haven't read the internet usage policy just yet......Trying to be good and actually do something for a change! :P

Christ I wish I was heading to Dundrum next week, that's a nice 3 ball... you'll prob end up hating each other after it though... I reckon Keanos a bandit and has been playing us all along :D

Next time AJ,

Hope the job goes well for you.

I do talk a great game so hopefully now I can hold it all together :D

Advertisement