Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking 90 (or myself)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ssbob wrote: »
    Next time AJ,

Hope the job goes well for you.

I do talk a great game so hopefully now I can hold it all together :D

One of main reasons I took it was because they have a monthly golf outing... score! They played Druids Glen last friday, I only started Moonday but was very tempted to ask could I tag along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    One of main reasons I took it was because they have a monthly golf outing... score! They played Druids Glen last friday, I only started Moonday but was very tempted to ask could I tag along :)

Imagine if I came home to my missus:

Mrs: "Well how'd the interview go, money any good?"
    Me: "No but they have a golf society, took the job, means I have to work 5 extra hours a week though":D

Sounds class to be fair AJ, trying to get something going in my place but no luck yet.

Imagine if I came home to my missus:

Mrs: "Well how'd the interview go, money any good?"
    Me: "No but they have a golf society, took the job, means I have to work 5 extra hours a week though":D

Sounds class to be fair AJ, trying to get something going in my place but no luck yet.

About 100 people in here, they get five 4 balls every month.... Not a bad strike rate at all.
    The missus did ask about the bonuses and I forgot who I was talking to at the time and listed that first... Monthly Golf, VHI, Parking, Pension.....rolled off the top of my tongue :D

Finally have convinced myself to post this

I think I've sorted my Slice

Got a lesson with low handicap mate...not a pro I know, but he knows his stuff and was happy to take his advice for half an hour.
    Changed my grip ever so slightly, and am getting out off the habit of cutting through the ball...Still prone to the odd slice but it's generally when I forget to go through pre shot routine.
    Am actually starting to draw the ball a bit on the odd shot, most are either going straight or will the slightest of fades... Right I'm going to stop before I jinx myself.

Still keeping to the 70/30 short/long game practice, (found it very hard to keep to this when I started to have joy with driver)
    Haven't had a round in a while but back home at weekend so will be hitting the Par 3...weather permitting. (Just seen forecast, rain looks nicely timed as ever for the weekend)

2 games lined up for next week...have a good feeling...f it that's twice now.
    Await update of return of the slice and 110+ rounds folks:)

Target 3 for July added: Grow a set and post video of swing by month end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Are you tracking your stats yet aj ?

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »
    Are you tracking your stats yet aj ?

Not yet Kph, will do for next weeks rounds, any know of app of Nokia N8?
    Failing that I'll scribble them down.

I haven't tracked yet out off pure shame Kph.

Ah its well worth doing no matter how you score. I often end up putting in the old 3 figure score myself :rolleyes: but it's well worth doing lets you know exactly where you stand. A good site to use is http://www.keepmygolfscore.com/ . It's pretty simple to use and you can just use an extra score card to keep track as you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Fantastic thread, thank you for this ajcurry123.

Golf is all new to me, only recently got into it but have found great benefits in this. Now I know there are plenty others in the same position as myself (and been there before). I hope to contribute in much the same vein myself over the coming weeks and months.

So bit the bullet and had a lesson last Friday, didn't do anything with driver, just irons and pitching around the green. Felt good after the lesson so decided to enter the comp on Sat morning:

Ended up with 19points......and 4 points came from a birdie at the driveable Par 4.

Sliced my first drive into a ditch, found it took an unplayable lie but was on a path, decided to play off the path rather than drop back into the deep rough.............scratch!! And so the round continued, the wind exageratted my slice the whole way around and couldn't get anything from around the greens..

Really depressed until I watched DC last night, and he gave me a new lease of life!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So bit the bullet and had a lesson last Friday, didn't do anything with driver, just irons and pitching around the green. Felt good after the lesson so decided to enter the comp on Sat morning:

Ended up with 19points......and 4 points came from a birdie at the driveable Par 4.

Sliced my first drive into a ditch, found it took an unplayable lie but was on a path, decided to play off the path rather than drop back into the deep rough.............scratch!! And so the round continued, the wind exageratted my slice the whole way around and couldn't get anything from around the greens..

Really depressed until I watched DC last night, and he gave me a new lease of life!!
    That was always going to happen after a lesson and will for a while. Stick by what you were shown as it's the right way. :)

• Advertisement

Driving range 3 times since the last update, steadily getting more confident with the driver...switched back to an old Big Bertha that a mate gave me years ago and was never used.
    Its about 2.5 inches smaller than my other driver and I seem to have a lot more control over it...Slices becoming less frequent, starting to hit my low irons (from small tees, can't seem to hit with confidence of the deck).
    Also spending about 30mins on the putting green each time i hit the range so thats coming along nicely.
    See a suggestion on another thread and I'm keeping track of 6*4fters 6*10fters and 6*20ft putts as m routine.

Dying to get out for a game soon, struggling to get them in lately!

Working in Sandyford area now, half thinking of staring work an hour or so earlier each morn in order to get 2hrs for 9holes in nearby Leopardstown at lunchtime to feed the habit. Anyone manage to get to do this? (i.e sneaky 9 holes at lunch)
    Seems like my best chance of getting it in over the next few weeks.

Appreciate any advice people have on hitting the long irons?....3 wood, Hybrid are fine (love hitting them) then I struggle with 4-6 (6 getting better lately) and 7 upwards are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Appreciate any advice people have on hitting the long irons?....3 wood, Hybrid are fine (love hitting them) then I struggle with 4-6 (6 getting better lately) and 7 upwards are fine.
    Good to hear you are improving. My advice for the long irons is to grip down the shaft and inch or so (like Darren Clarke) and swing easy, perhaps taking one club more when doing this. Hitting a two or three iron off the deck is not easy, even if you are playing well.

If you need to hit a perfect two iron to reach the green it might be better to hit a nice five iron into a good position, then pitch and putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0161allin

The thing i found with the long irons, is make sure you dont stand to close to the ball, remember you are trying to swing around your body i found the closer i was the more the slice with the long irons, its not so bad with the short irons as there is more loft on the club so its not as bad. A good thing to keep your eye is the line of your divot if its pointing to the left it means your coming from the outside to the inside, which standing to close can contribute to problem as you havent enough room to swing the club, so standing further away gives you more room and a better chance of swinging the club from in to out and making sure you turn your right hand over, which i found to be my biggest problem getting that sorted has helped so much the slices are gone and things are looking up. Keep practising and going to your pga pro, watch some bits on you tube tigers swing in slow motion is a good one just watch how he turns it over

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

At my lesson tonight the pro told me not to worry about a 3 or 4 iron for a while.

Cant wait to play tomorrow, target is sub 90. Only problem i have is i have to use my old 8.5 regular shaft R5 (hit 20 balls on the range with it tonight - 15 over 250m other 5 will never be seen again they went that far right!!!)

In regard to the longer irons. I didn't even bother re-gripping my 3i earlier this year it's just too much to handle. And I don't carry my 4i unless it's windy and then I'm gripping down and playing low punch shots with it and even at that I grip down and imagine its a 6i. Never has a 3 or 4 iron saved me a shot but they have cost me many.

I have a gap in my bag between my 18* MD hybrid (which I love) so I think I'm going to fill the gap between that and my 5i with another hybrid prob 22* so that way I will never have to think of hitting a 3i and 4i will only be seen on windy days.

Thats probably a bit of a giving up attitude but when I think about long irons I think about how to avoid them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'm going to try and get around sub 90. I haven't hit a ball in a year and my golfing experience is just a few lessons as a kid (going along with my dad) and very few outings each summer. I'm going to go to the driving range maybe twice over the next week or so just to get the technique back somewhat and am waiting on golf shoes to be delivered (I find I slice more often without them). I share a set of clubs and will be using them and hopefully it won't take me too long to get sub 90. Not sure of which course I am going to join yet but that will probably have a large effect on the outcome!

I'm young and able with a big drive hopefully helping me on my way. I have the oldest 3 and 5 wood ever though and they are really bad clubs. Hopefully I won't have to call on them too often anyway! They're not broken anyway and a good workman never blames his tools :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have only the driver in my bag. Everything else is an iron. Struggling with the lower irons of late so may have to pick up a hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

kincsem wrote: »
    Good to hear you are improving. My advice for the long irons is to grip down the shaft and inch or so (like Darren Clarke) and swing easy, perhaps taking one club more when doing this. Hitting a two or three iron off the deck is not easy, even if you are playing well.

If you need to hit a perfect two iron to reach the green it might be better to hit a nice five iron into a good position, then pitch and putt.

Gripping down and swinging easy is good advice but my advice for someone trying to break 90 (which is where I am at the moment) would be to leave the 2i and 3i out of the bag. Probably the hardest clubs to use and will cost you more shots than anything else.

TheGrump wrote: »
    Gripping down and swinging easy is good advice but my advice for someone trying to break 90 (which is where I am at the moment) would be to leave the 2i and 3i out of the bag. Probably the hardest clubs to use and will cost you more shots than anything else.

I have to say that thought crossed my mind, similar to leaving my driver out of the bag a while ago... But I've decided to try to work on all clubs on the range, bring all clubs with me to the course but I don't think I've touched the 3i or 4i on a round yet.
    Can't wait for the day when I look into the bag and say...yip, 4i it is!

That's around about way of saying, "I'm just trying to get used to them on the range"... 1.5hours sleep last night taking its toll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Thanks for the thread aj - Inspired me to do the same - going back to the golfshot app - its really is a great tool to have to keep yourself tracked properly - stats wise it is very helpful too - heres my first round with it.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/201-6011794-6012008

Bit of an improvement needed on that allright and although I had 2 bad holes on the back 9, i improved considerably, this 2 holes cost me 8 shots :mad:

• Advertisement

So my handicap is now out to 20.4 and really can't see myself being cut anytime soon, I am hitting some good shots followed by woeful shots.

In fairness the 109 strokes should have been less than 100 but at the same time I am not getting any nearer to 90 or breaking it for that matter.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring with it a good scoring opportunity!!

So still no golf since last update, but another couple of sessions up at the range.
    Am really getting some confidence in my swing now, striking the ball pretty sweetly, even started to hit some fairly nice looking shots with my 4i from the deck last night.

Going to get 9 holes in tonight in Stepaside Public. Hopefully will be shooting in or around 45 given the way I'm hitting it lately, the fact that I know the course very well at this stage and because it's fairly danger free

Will be getting out on Saturday too, venue tbc, but here's hoping it's a good one.

Time to start flirting with that 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

ardinn wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread aj - Inspired me to do the same - going back to the golfshot app - its really is a great tool to have to keep yourself tracked properly - stats wise it is very helpful too - heres my first round with it.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/201-6011794-6012008

Bit of an improvement needed on that allright and although I had 2 bad holes on the back 9, i improved considerably, this 2 holes cost me 8 shots :mad:

Great app, have been using it the past 2 months...Trying to break 90 myself AJ, not that easy though ha

Went out late yesterday for 9 holes, started out brilliant, then one stinker fecked up on me but otherwise was very happy, had the putter on fire! Here she is
    http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/201-6017726-6017940
    If i could just started hittint GIR Id be flying

Tones69 wrote: »
    Great app, have been using it the past 2 months...Trying to break 90 myself AJ, not that easy though ha

Went out late yesterday for 9 holes, started out brilliant, then one stinker fecked up on me but otherwise was very happy, had the putter on fire! Here she is
    http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/201-6017726-6017940
    If i could just started hittint GIR Id be flying

Just added you there Tones on Golfshot, my stats are pretty poor in comparison to you, I really need to start hitting more fairways.

Just added you there Tones on Golfshot, my stats are pretty poor in comparison to you, I really need to start hitting more fairways.

Cool, added you back. Nothing wrong with your stats at all dude , Im starting to hit fairways now but very rarely GIR, and my putting is good so its my second shots letting me down, the odd time il crack the hybrid or 4 iron from 210 yards and il nail it but more often than not it will hit the rough stuff, practise makes perfect though right, i can feel the birdies comin :)

Cool, added you back. Nothing wrong with your stats at all dude , Im starting to hit fairways now but very rarely GIR, and my putting is good so its my second shots letting me down, the odd time il crack the hybrid or 4 iron from 210 yards and il nail it but more often than not it will hit the rough stuff, practise makes perfect though right, i can feel the birdies comin :)

Had a lesson last Friday and Pro told me I was taking on too many big shots, so rather than going at the green he said why don't you lay up to 70 yards and hit a wedge and have a putt for a par but a guaranteed 5, he's right me thinks!?

Had a lesson last Friday and Pro told me I was taking on too many big shots, so rather than going at the green he said why don't you lay up to 70 yards and hit a wedge and have a putt for a par but a guaranteed 5, he's right me thinks!?

Yeah ive often thought about just doing that myself, i dont fancy taking out a 7/8 iron 210 yards away though, more often than not it would take 2 shots to get there anyway but it would just feel weird ha, i like pulling out the hybrids/woods/long irons and giving it a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Yeah ive often thought about just doing that myself, i dont fancy taking out a 7/8 iron 210 yards away though, more often than not it would take 2 shots to get there anyway but it would just feel weird ha, i like pulling out the hybrids/woods/long irons and giving it a shot :)

Tis funny cause last night I started to lay up on the back 9 and I actually scored well.
    Like there's a 265 yard par 4. Now my absolute best drive might make it but I'd always be tempted to take it on.
    Its surrounded by bunkers. Even from 50-60 yards from the green its got bunkers so I hit a 5 iron about 175ish last night and then a wedge.
    Pushed it a bit so into the bunker. Got up and down for Par.
    I may have been in the bunker with drive anyway so I probably didnt save much in that case but I layed up on other occasions to greater effect and I started to lose that feeling of missing out on something by doing it.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Tis funny cause last night I started to lay up on the back 9 and I actually scored well.
    Like there's a 265 yard par 4. Now my absolute best drive might make it but I'd always be tempted to take it on.
    Its surrounded by bunkers. Even from 50-60 yards from the green its got bunkers so I hit a 5 iron about 175ish last night and then a wedge.
    Pushed it a bit so into the bunker. Got up and down for Par.
    I may have been in the bunker with drive anyway so I probably didnt save much in that case but I layed up on other occasions to greater effect and I started to lose that feeling of missing out on something by doing it.

265 yds Par 4, what course? I have to try this out :)

• Advertisement

265 yds Par 4, what course? I have to try this out :)

In Blarney Tones, into the wind last night, I sliced 2 drives OOB while playing with Alxmorgan, think I should have gone the safe route!!!:D

Advertisement