Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking 90 (or myself)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

ssbob wrote: »
    In Blarney Tones, into the wind last night, I sliced 2 drives OOB while playing with Alxmorgan, think I should have gone the safe route!!!:D

Bit of a spin for me to there lol :) Hows the driving going for ya? Slicing would break your heart wouldnt it! Ive changed up my driving a bit, im gripping a lot "looser" now, standing a little more centered and not trying to kill it, not getting quite as much distance (about 230/240 now instead of 270) but im hitting fairways straight now so thats a bit plus. Prob hitting on average 9 or 10 out of 14 FIR as opposed to 2 or 3 FIR before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Tones69 wrote: »
    Bit of a spin for me to there lol :) Ive changed up my driving a bit, im gripping a lot "looser" now, standing a little more centered and not trying to kill it, not getting quite as much distance (about 230/240 now instead of 270) but im hitting fairways straight now so thats a bit plus. Prob hitting on average 9 or 10 out of 14 FIR as opposed to 2 or 3 FIR before

Fair play I am generally only hitting maybe 6/14 but just off on about 3 more, must rectify the 5 others before the boards outing tomorrow. If I could sort that and my putting, I could go very low tomorrow!!!:)

Fair play I am generally only hitting maybe 6/14 but just off on about 3 more, must rectify the 5 others before the boards outing tomorrow. If I could sort that and my putting, I could go very low tomorrow!!!:)

Im the opposite now ha, feeling confident with tee offs and putts, but very rarely making GIR! I had 14 putts on the back 9 in Carlow yesterday, was loving it, think i had 5 one putts, 3 two putts and one 3, golf has me heart broken, baaaaaaaadly addicted :) goodluck tmrw in the outing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    I have to say that thought crossed my mind, similar to leaving my driver out of the bag a while ago... But I've decided to try to work on all clubs on the range, bring all clubs with me to the course but I don't think I've touched the 3i or 4i on a round yet.
    Can't wait for the day when I look into the bag and say...yip, 4i it is!

That's around about way of saying, "I'm just trying to get used to them on the range"... 1.5hours sleep last night taking its toll
    I added a cheap metal 7 wood years ago. It was much easier to hit than a long iron and went as far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Ah - well tony :D Add me there aswell!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've re-written this first sentence about 10 times now.
    Truth is, words can't describe how I'm feeling...

I am nearly shaking as I write this, went out to Stepaside Public after work for 9 holes before having to go to collect herself from a work do.

I shot 42(Par 36*) for the 9 holes!!! I'm too excited to give a blow by blow but the nine holes consisted of 1 birdie, 4 Pars, 2 Bogeys, and 2 DB's.
    *I have to be fair and change that birdie to a par, I shot a 3 on par 4 but they were repairing hole and it's only 160 now, it's a Par 3 at present even though they haven't changed scorecard. So it was Par 35 not 36.
    Still.....7 over for 9 holes is the best I've ever played.

Whats even better is that the 2 DB's came on 1st and 2nd hole (warm up in future ya eejit)

Don't know if anyone has played it, it's a very easy course but I'm not letting that get me down....
    I was tempted to tell herself to get a taxi instead of collecting her but I wouldn't have gotten to finish another 9 anyway... I was too ecstatic with the 9 that I don't really mind!

One sliced drive...didnt get me in trouble and all the rest were spot on, 1 or 2 shanks on the first couple of holes but apart from that it was a dream.
    I actually had 3 6-10 footers for birdies...gave them a nice effort and finished them in pars...

I may update this later...Cant even think straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I am nearly shaking as I write this, went out to Stepaside Public after work for 9 holes before having to go to collect herself from a work do.

I shot 42(Par 36*) for the 9 holes!!! I'm too excited to give a blow by blow but the nine holes consisted of 1 birdie, 4 Pars, 2 Bogeys, and 2 DB's.
    *I have to be fair and change that birdie to a par, I shot a 3 on par 4 but they were repairing hole and it's only 160 now, it's a Par 3 at present even though they haven't changed scorecard. So it was Par 35 not 36.

Whats even better is that the 2 DB's came on 1st and 2nd hole (warm up in future ya eejit)

Don't know if anyone has played it, it's a very easy course but I'm not letting that get me down....
    I was tempted to tell herself to get a taxi instead of collecting her but I wouldn't have gotten to finish another 9 anyway... I was too ecstatic with the 9 that I don't really mind!

One sliced drive...didnt get me in trouble and all the rest were spot on, 1 or 2 shanks on the first couple of holes but apart from that it was a dream.
    I actually had 3 6-10 footers for birdies...gave them a nice effort and finished them in pars...

Delighted for you :D

Goes to show to hard work does pay off in the end

That would drive me mad now coz id wanna do the 18 to see how i got on, i shot 46 front 9 and 47 back 9 last week and was very happy, really gunning for 80s, just gotta clean up my second shots with long irons/hybrids. Well done man :)

That would drive me mad now coz id wanna do the 18 to see how i got on, i shot 46 front 9 and 47 back 9 last week and was very happy, really gunning for 80s, just gotta clean up my second shots with long irons/hybrids. Well done man :)

I'm pretty sure I will get mad (there's a tiny voice in my head at present) but I'm too happy at present to let it get to me... Hope it stays away and lets me live in the joy for a while

I'm out again on Saturday so the hope that I'll do it then is easing it a bit

I'm pretty sure I will get mad (there's a tiny voice in my head at present) but I'm too happy at present to let it get to me... Hope it stays away and lets me live in the joy for a while

I'm out again on Saturday so the hope that I'll do it then is easing it a bit

What ive tried the last few times is not to chase scores, but to focus on one part of my game, otherwise its too easy get pissed off when you get two dreaded 7s to mess up your score ha. My putting last 2 times has been flying and drives getting better, once i can get my "200+ yds out" long iron game going il be very confident in shooting high 80s all day long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

What ive tried the last few times is not to chase scores, but to focus on one part of my game, otherwise its too easy get pissed off when you get two dreaded 7s to mess up your score ha. My putting last 2 times has been flying and drives getting better, once i can get my "200+ yds out" long iron game going il be very confident in shooting high 80s all day long

If you can drive well and putt well then my advice is to not try for a 200+ yard long game. Play a 150-160 mid iron game and a good wedge game.
    I'd bet money that you get to regular 80s quicker that way than trying to get that long a game going
    By all means stay working on your long game at the range but if you want to score then play within yourself on the course.

Or maybe play the 2 9's differently.
    Front play how you want - back play how you should :D

AJ,

While I am delighted with your near professional:D score for 9 holes, I am not letting you have the award of breaking 90 first:D

Some shooting no matter how easy the course, I will be making a real go for the sub 90 round today in Dundrum:rolleyes:

AJ,

While I am delighted with your near professional:D score for 9 holes, I am not letting you have the award of breaking 90 first:D

Some shooting no matter how easy the course, I will be making a real go for the sub 90 round today in Dundrum:rolleyes:

Thanks and good luck today Ssbob, I'm not claiming 90 just yet, and I may not go back to that course, it would feel like an ill win...that or I prob just have stockhlom syndrome :D

I'll be giving D McGrane a run for his money soon :)

http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/206-6120192-6120411

Update from Friday, put myself in a lot of good positions off the tee but unfortunately I just couldn't hit my irons!!! At one stage on the 10th hole I had hit my ball to the left of a bunch of huge fairway trees, gave myself a clear look at the green with an 8 iron and shanked into a river on the right.................................

Not going to be playing much this week, not any full rounds anyway but if I do I will keep you updated!!

Tones brought me back here :)
    Had another casual year in 2012 but finally joined somewhere last year.

Some laugh reading back. Happy to say breaking 90 is a fairly frequent occurance now.

The odd sub 85 in casual rounds and I've crept into the high 30's for 9 on a handful of ocassions. With 86 being my best competitive round from the blues.

Not a hope I'm updating this thread but breaking 80 the goal.

Nobody wants another Breaking 80 thread (Fix) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Discovered this thread after starting mine.
    Did enjoy it , but felt it came to a rather sudden end.

Only the self indulgent attention seeking navel gazing head banger buy into that stuff.

Was funny , there was one lad around here who always wanted them banned. (Lol)

Was thinking of going for level par thread. But I think I had too many pints in me at that stage.

There is very little that can be done that hasn't been done before.
    Except Project Golf Pro. Now that is thinking big from Tin Cup.

At the end of the day / thread, you are doing it for yourself. But a thread can keep you going, couldn't believe the support I got , not to mention help.
    Your always going to have lads having a go, but they play their part too. Some of the harder characters had the best advice.

I'll have a par round some day, few pints with me mates in Portugal will do .
    It is easier to get par there.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Discovered this thread after starting mine.
    Did enjoy it , but felt it came to a rather sudden end.

Only the self indulgent attention seeking navel gazing head banger buy into that stuff.

Was funny , there was one lad around here who always wanted them banned. (Lol)

Was thinking of going for level par thread. But I think I had too many pints in me at that stage.

There is very little that can be done that hasn't been done before.
    Except Project Golf Pro. Now that is thinking big from Tin Cup.

At the end of the day / thread, you are doing it for yourself. But a thread can keep you going, couldn't believe the support I got , not to mention help.
    Your always going to have lads having a go, but they play their part too. Some of the harder characters had the best advice.

I'll have a par round some day, few pints with me mates in Portugal will do .
    It is easier to get par there.

;)

For the love of all that's good and holy, NO!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Great read Parlance . Just read all 14 pages and it's exactly where im at at the moment .

Personally iv giving myself a goal of getting to 18 HC by this time next year .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lorre,
    (Lol)
    Telling me not to do something, can have the opposite outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lorre,
    (Lol)
    Telling me not to do something, can have the opposite outcome.

The problem though would be the 10,000 post limit Boards have, the last thing we need is "Breaking Par - Part IV" ;):D

• Advertisement
Advertisement