Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict Houses on the main street in Rush.

Options
  • 29-05-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Getting sick of the sight of the vacant houses on the main street. Is there any one that we can report this to (Derelict houses act or anything of the sort) They are such an eye sore in the area.
    With the tidy towns comming up it would be great to try and put some pressure on the relevant body who looks after such matters or even lobby the owners of them.

The house that has recently burned down must be a danger it must now be weak what would happen it fell onto the street. Something needs to be done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Contacting Fingal Co Co would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

What exactly do you want done with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They are being boarded up as we speak. A frame is put in place around the house beside Bird of Paradise. It is not as bad as it was and now there is just the block from Mr. Suds to Post office

In fairness the others were all painted last year and the people started putting up notices on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

What exactly do you want done with them?

I imagine the OP would like to see the houses restored and lived in rather than continue to remain derelict and knocked down in the future taking some of the charactor away from the street.. I could be cynical and say the property owners could make use of developing the substantial gardens behind the properties if the council ordered the properties to be removed for H & S reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    . I could be cynical and say the property owners could make use of developing the substantial gardens behind the properties if the council ordered the properties to be removed for H & S reasons.

You could be right;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

If the property owners do not do anything with them I would be all for pulling them down they are desperate buildings in a sad state of repair its only a matter of time before some one gets injured kids messing drinking etc.

It's a pity they are just been boarded up as it does not solve the problem. Its just plastering over the main issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Psygnosis wrote: »
    If the property owners do not do anything with them I would be all for pulling them down they are desperate buildings in a sad state of repair its only a matter of time before some one gets injured kids messing drinking etc.
    It's a pity they are just been boarded up as it does not solve the problem. Its just plastering over the main issue.

I think thats how most of Georgian Dublin got pulled down in the 60s and the reason the council gave for pulling down Kenure House, Amazing how thinking never changes over time.

I know what the OP has in mind, but you can't force the owners of the buildings to do anything. It's there properly, if they want to leave it derelict then that's their business. Obviously the one that has been burnt down is a different story, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Think that there is a bit of a difference in the houses we are talking about Kenure house was a beautifull house (http://revpatrickcomerford.blogspot.com/2010/05/sad-and-lonely-ruin-is-reminder-of.html)

Those houses in Rush are in such a state of dissrepair that they are practically falling down. If it was a case that they had nice stone work or some architectural redeeming feature I would be gladly want to keep them but.

If any one of these houses were knocked it would just leave a big gaping hole in the street. Beyond them are disused fields with thorns and weeds as tall as a horse.. the main street will look like a country lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Very true.

Speaking of knocking down, does anybody know what's being done with the triangular site left behind by the cottage that was knocked on the corner there, at the traffic lights at (former!) Xtra Vision? Is something being built there or what's the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I think that's where Aldi is going in :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement