Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German naval vessel

Options
  • 29-05-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the rather large German naval ship sitting in Cork harbour today near the Customs House? If so, do you know why it is here and if it is possible to take a look inside it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

They are here to back up the IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

kurt largo wrote: »
    do you know why it is here
    WWIII?
    kurt largo wrote: »
    and if it is possible to take a look inside it?
    A friend of mine passed it earlier today and said that there appeared to be people of the general public on board viewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that's the FGS Koln, a german frigate. She's in Cork on a courtesy call.
    she was open to the public Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and is due to leave today at 12.

5768110786_5d70936e77.jpg
    Fgs Koln (F122) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5767565831_cd6a702841.jpg
    Fgs Koln (fF22) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

5768111026_878d34a65a.jpg
    Fgs Koln (F122) by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kurt largo

Ok, tks for the info guys. It's a shame that it is leaving today; I should have parked nearby and taken a tour inside when I had the chance yesterday. It looks like a fairly decent ship; I initially thought it was an Irish naval ship but then I realised that it was a bit too blue, a bit too well-maintained and a bit too large to be Irish. My suspicions were confirmed when I noticed the German flag at the stern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just passed this ship awhile ago and all the crew were out on formation on deck. Looked fairly cool. They must have been just getting ready to hit the road (so to speak)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

That would explain the guys dressed as sailors in Society the other night! I thought it was fancy dress.
    Not my kind of club but when we got in there we thought it was a different kind of club altogether... The boys thought they were the s**t in their little sailor uniforms and hats. They were saluting each other across the dance floor :eek:
    Cringe worthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kurt largo

Bill-e wrote: »
    That would explain the guys dressed as sailors in Society the other night! I thought it was fancy dress.
    Not my kind of club but when we got in there we thought it was a different kind of club altogether... The boys thought they were the s**t in their little sailor uniforms and hats. They were saluting each other across the dance floor :eek:
    Cringe worthy stuff.

Maybe they haven't heard the bad news yet, namely that Germany lost the war - both of them. Perhaps if you mentioned this to the sailors on the dance floor, that would have knocked the wind out of their sails (excuse the unsubtle pun) ;)

Advertisement