Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into it, after just startin it......

Options
  • 29-05-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Evening all.
    I started the flute just after Christmas.
    Was doing OK and i was happy enough with the progress, but work really kicked in and I did not have time at all to play and it's now at least 2 months since I have picked it up.

Any Advise an getting it to it again.

On a side note.........How do you know you picked the right instrument to learn...........I have to say I do like strolling around Waltons and looking at the Concertinas and mandolins and bangos.....great shop.
    It is hard to believe there is not a Traditional Irish Museum in Ireland.
    Must be a call for one.

Thank you

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It is hard to believe there is not a Traditional Irish Museum in Ireland.
    Must be a call for one.

Thank you

Phil

Not quite a museum but check out http://www.itma.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 philip kelly

I walked past that the other day, and it was closed of a Sunday.
    There should be a propoer Muesum.
    I heard something about the main archive of Music being given to an American college, but amazed there is no one full collection of Traditional instruments for people to visit, surly that would be a s big as Guinesses brewery, they could have pints there too.
    They do go hand in hand.

Thank you for the reply

Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭del_c

Michael Coleman centre in Gurteen, Sligo is well worth a visit. Very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

A guitar teacher I once had told me to leave my instrument where you normally sit relaxing. Have it ready to pick up and put down at will and if you use a music stand, have a piece of music on it ready to play. Play little and often.

I never got the hang of the guitar but my box now sits on its case at the end of the sofa where I usually play to entertain the dog.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

trad wrote: »
    A guitar teacher I once had told me to leave my instrument where you normally sit relaxing.

I've a whistle sitting on the desk here beside me all the time. Pick it up between long page loads etc. I normally play along to recordings on the PC and get sheet music online anyway. So easy these days, I can imagine how awkward it was for people years ago to learn tunes.

You must have one hell of a busy life if you can't find 10 minutes a day for your instrument!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 philip kelly

Well I have and I am not being precious about it.

But thanks for all the encouragement.

phil

Advertisement