Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm Agent? ? or Person who buys for you!

• 30-05-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

does such people exist?

was thinking of going down this route, i dont know much about buying etc.. ..

are there guys out there that will buy for you for a fee?

if so, whats the fee? say for bullocks,

and where can i get a list of these agents?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

You are talking about dealers?

The Dept would have a list since dealers have to register with them.

Not sure what typical fees would be, it would depend on the number of animals involved and whether transport was included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Ask around, you're looking for a cattle dealer with a reasonable reputation.
    They normally drop the cattle in your yard and charge ~€30 a head to buy them.
    You would want an idea of prices yourself as they have been known to bid up on cattle for friends and will leave you to pick up the tab for this generosity:rolleyes:
    does such people exist?

was thinking of going down this route, i dont know much about buying etc.. ..

are there guys out there that will buy for you for a fee?

if so, whats the fee? say for bullocks,

and where can i get a list of these agents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

locky76 wrote: »
    Ask around, you're looking for a cattle dealer with a reasonable reputation.
    They normally drop the cattle in your yard and charge ~€30 a head to buy them.
    You would want an idea of prices yourself as they have been known to bid up on cattle for friends and will leave you to pick up the tab for this generosity:rolleyes:

no where near €30 for most animals. Maybe a €10 - €15 for just buying, and haulage on top + auction fees. A good guy is well worth paying a little extra, but it can be a bit of a minefield to find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

no where near €30 for most animals. Maybe a €10 - €15 for just buying, and haulage on top + auction fees. A good guy is well worth paying a little extra, but it can be a bit of a minefield to find one.
    Make sure if you do buy through a jobber that he knows there would potentialy be plenty of repeat buisness, only if he gets what you want... As bob said, it's a serious minefield!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

thanks lads,
    well, as i dont know what to look for when buying cattle, and only getting started. i think ill get a good dealer to get me a few cattle, and who knows someday down the road i might do it myself eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

wouldnt recommend a dealer to buy anything for you.

all u need to do is watch the carry on they do be at around the marts.

much better buy them yourself privately or get a neighbour with a knowledge of cattle and marts to buy them for ya in the mart:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MrKerry

Letting an agent buy for you is dangerous. They could buy another agents cattle throught the mart (at a serious price) and you are caught in the middle !!!!!!!.

Get a neighbour or someone you trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

cattle man wrote: »
    wouldnt recommend a dealer to buy anything for you.

all u need to do is watch the carry on they do be at around the marts.

much better buy them yourself privately or get a neighbour with a knowledge of cattle and marts to buy them for ya in the mart:)
    your spot on their no such thing as a cattle dealer with a reasonable reputation they are all crooks out for what they can get.i know cattle dealers getting 30 euro a animal for buying. get a good neighbour to buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

... get a good neighbour to buy them.
    Exactly, get a good neighbour to buy them for you. "Paddy's" judge of cattle will be out to the test for all to see. He'll have the other neighbours commenting on his purchases, so he'll do the best he can.;)

Now, next problem....which neighbour to ask.:D

Seriously, I could tell you a lot of stories about dealers. They have no morales whatsoever, 90% of them anyway. The other 10% live on their good name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Please tell us the stories

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

colrow wrote: »
    Please tell us the stories

1 - Know of a 'dealer' who has a pliers for changing tags on cattle. Told this by someone who knows him well.
    2 - I was beside a local farmer one day when he was bidding on cattle. He was bidding against a young guy nearby. Took note of the seller's name. Realised later that the guy bidding was his brother. Both well known dealers. Auctioneer knows both well too.:eek:
    3 - Was buying cattle years ago with the father. Ended up with only us and a dealer bidding. (In any mart, the dealers tend to sit or stand together). I went something like us - 545, dealer 548. We then dropped out. Mad roar of laughter from the dealers. They thought we would go to the even 550. Dealer selling, his mate, another dealer buying. Their mates laughing at the fact that they both now had to pay the commision.

They're right sharks !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

thanks lads,
    well, as i dont know what to look for when buying cattle, and only getting started. i think ill get a good dealer to get me a few cattle, and who knows someday down the road i might do it myself eventually.

Agents are different to dealers. Dealers put the cattle into their dealer herds and sell out of them. But agents are buyers that are there on behalf of another person. Depends on where you're buying as to who I could recommend!

Advertisement