Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own Appetite for Destruction?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭

Mod Edit: Do not start discussing your opinion of Axl Rose. If you don't like him that's fine. Stick to discussing Appetite for Destruction.

Seeing as there is a master of puppets(which I own) thread why not an appetite thread.

Track listing.
    1. "Welcome to the Jungle"
    2. "It's So Easy"
    3. "Nightrain"
    4. "Out ta Get Me"
    5. "Mr. Brownstone"
    6. "Paradise City"
    7. "My Michelle"
    8. "Think About You"
    9. "Sweet Child o' Mine"
    10. "You're Crazy"
    11. "Anything Goes"
    12. "Rocket Queen"

Do you own a Copy of AFD ? 73 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    NIBBSDunseamusGristlyEndblastmanbranners69seanybikerMaliceMotley CrueslavetothegrindshaneybabyNailzRoanmoredemanTiggerkc66Burning EclipseVictor McDader3nu4llord lucan 73 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Nope. I borrowed it from a friend and burned it. It's an album I don't really care about owning since I'm not a huge Guns 'n Roses fan.

I do really like it though. When I was 13 I thought it was their greatest hits. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No
    I do, very good album but I don't listen to it too much, nor have I in a while. I don't necessarily like GNR too much so there lies the blame. "Annoying types" where I come from it love all their hits, and it kind of spoils the reflection against GNR moreso. But I'm not bothered with them either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No
    Yup, I bought it when it first came out. Absolutely brilliant album. Mind you, there is a weak track on it -"Anything Goes". Everything else on it is brilliant. Shame it all went pear-shaped - but let's not start that argument again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Personally, I'm not really a fan of GnR, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No
    Indeed I do....

Another "must have" album imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

No
    Yup have it alright, got it off my friend a couple of years back. Think it was the album that made me stick with the guitar, spending hours trying to learn most of the songs off it.
    Don't listen to it that much these days though, have probably played it so much that I'm sick of it at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

there's a copy on cassette somewhere up in the attic. Have not heard it on CD in a few years though. The singles are still worth turning up when they come on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No
    Yep have it. Back when music had attitude & balls, quality album.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

No
    I do indeed. Not much of a fan though, a lot of it strikes me as filler (e.g. "It's So Easy", "Out ta Get Me", "You're Crazy"). I was surprised when I first heard it, being such a "classic" album, that only the singles and a few album tracks stood out as being decent. There are some fantastic tunes on it, but for GnR's most acclaimed album it feels to me to be worryingly padded out.

No
    Joe_Dull wrote: »
    I do indeed. Not much of a fan though, a lot of it strikes me as filler (e.g. "It's So Easy", "Out ta Get Me", "You're Crazy"). I was surprised when I first heard it, being such a "classic" album, that only the singles and a few album tracks stood out as being decent. There are some fantastic tunes on it, but for GnR's most acclaimed album it feels to me to be worryingly padded out.

True enough, & I prefer the Illusions myself. But there are some properly 'bad-ass' songs on Appetite - Jungle, Nightrain, Brownstone, Paradise City, My Michelle & Rocket Queen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No
    There is definitely no filler on AFD, unlike UYI 1&2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

No
    one of the greatest rock/metal albums in my lifetime,so yes

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

No
    EnterNow wrote: »
    True enough, & I prefer the Illusions myself. But there are some properly 'bad-ass' songs on Appetite - Jungle, Nightrain, Brownstone, Paradise City, My Michelle & Rocket Queen.

You have indeed named the incredible tracks off that album, each of em a classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No

UYI albums are chock full of rubbish, with a few absolute gems thrown in - Don't Cry, Estranged, Locomotive to name but 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep have it. Back when music had attitude & balls, quality album.
    You know what, I would never have guessed you had it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

No
    The cool album cover sold it to me, nevertheless its one of my all time favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No
    Yup. Listened to it on repeat a few nights ago while having a few cans. Class album

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No
    A masterpiece and imo there are no fillers on it. Couldn't listen to the illusions but could easily listen to this straight through once a day. Axel is a twat though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Awesome album.. Have the original Robot picture album on vinyl at home..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Indeed I do....

Another "must have" album imo.
    This is exactly what I was going to post :). In terms of hard rock it'd be my first choice for an album every rock fan should own. It'll be interesting to see how the percentages stack up against Master of Puppets.
    Axel is a twat though
    Just for once I'd love to see a thread discussing something to do with Guns N' Roses that didn't feature some variation of the above. In order not to derail the thread can everyone please note the following:
    Do not start discussing your opinion of Axl Rose. If you don't like him that's fine. Stick to discussing Appetite for Destruction.

• Advertisement

No
    UYI albums are chock full of rubbish, with a few absolute gems thrown in - Don't Cry, Estranged, Locomotive to name but 3.

There are some fillers, but chock full of rubbish??

There arn't as many instant hits as Appetite, but when you familiarise yourself with the albums there's far more good than bad songs. Much deeper album(s), not to everyone's liking but I find myself listening to those more than appetite for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No
    I was tempted to agree then I remembered I've never really liked It's So Easy, Think About You or Anything Goes. Anytime I'm listening to the album I nearly always skip those. I nearly always skip Sweet Child O'Mine too but that's because I'm pig sick of hearing it. It's a fantastic song but sadly the epitome of an overplayed song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yes, I read the Slash biography and immediately went out to buy Appetite for Destruction. Needless to say I am a marketeers dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

No
    Definitely one of the greatest albums of all time. While I agree that UYI was somewhat deeper, Appetite captured an atmosphere, a moment in time, and the attitude of an era, and stands out as classic for that reason.

It only falls short of Back in Black for sheer listenability over and over again! :D

No
    DHYNZY wrote: »
    Appetite captured an atmosphere, a moment in time, and the attitude of an era, and stands out as classic for that reason.

Couldn't have said it better, nicely worded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

No
    This album should be issued to people when they're born.
    Its a definite must have album.
    I don't even know many people who haven't got this album.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

No
    Got my first Agfa cassette copy in 1988. Currently have a well worn CD copy and two copies on vinyl (one european, one south american) with the original 'banned' robot scene artwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I have it somewhere, can't say I'm mad about it. Think I used to love it, but now Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone and Paradise City are all that'll get played. The rest of it is all very skippble IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

No
    Have it too. Its an absolutely brilliant album, surely one of the best debut albums if not the best. Love every song on there, but unfortunately - as Malice said - Sweet Child o' Mine has been overplayed to the point where I never put it on anymore. Between hearing the original version and countless covers by pub bands over the years, I have been way over-exposed to the song. I can't deny its quality though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

No
    It sits happily in my top 10 albums of all time. I give it a listen every 2 weeks or so.

Advertisement