Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own Appetite for Destruction?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

No
    Bought it when I was 17, for €7.99 in Tower Records. Couldn't figure out why it was on sale. Actually every time I've seen it since, it's been on sale... It really is a must have; one of the greatest debuts of all time, just an absolute classic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

No
    Bought it on release and it still gets spun a lot, great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

No
    Appetite for Destruction is just one of those albums that you have to buy. I don't know any rock or metal fans who don't own a copy of it. Even if you're not a GnR fan, it's still one of those albums that everyone get's because it's such an awesome album. So yeah i do own a copy of AFD. But then again, i own all the GnR albums :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No
    Its one of my fav albums. I always wished patience was on it just to top it off.

Remember a couple of filims that used welcome to the jungle in one form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

No
    I could write for pages about this album,such is its greatness.

This was the album that got me into Rock and subsequently Metal. I know i've recanted this story before somewhere in the annals of the R&M boards but i'm gonna tell it again.:)

Sometime in 1988 i heard Paradise City on the radio. Don't know the station or the show but it caught my attention immediately. I was 14 and had been on a diet of pop and whatever ****e the pirate stations were playing for years and that was all i knew. Sadly none of my mates were rockers so i was never exposed to it.

I found out the name of the album that Paradise City was on and decided to save my pocket money and buy it. Roll on a few weeks later and i asked my Da' to drop me off in town on the way to the fortnightly visit to the grandparents in Raheny. I headed to Golden Discs on Mary St. and duly purchased AFD and headed to Connolly station to catch the Dart to Raheny. I threw the cassette into my Phillips Moving Sound walkman as i waited for the train and got to listening to it.

First track(WTTJ) was amazing,the killer hook at the start drawing me in instantly. It was the 2nd tune(ISE) that done the job. When Axl sung "why don't you just,f**k off" the hairs on my arms were standing on end. I even rewound the tape to here it again! Coming from listening to A-ha and other such bands this was unreal. It's nothing in comparison with what gets commited to vinyl these days but back then it was a real eye opener.

And so began my love affair with GN'R. The album still gets regular play and to be honest it hasn't aged at all. There's only 1 track that i'm not mad about(TAY) but the rest is killer. It'll always be special to me as it was my intro to the world of rock music and i'm thankful i heard it and became aware of such an awesome genre. Thanks GN'R.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No
    I threw it on in work this afternoon. One of the things I really like about it is the separate and distinctive guitar tracks. That is something I wish more bands featuring two guitarists would do rather than either having a very distinct separation between lead and rhythm or just doubling the same track and panning one hard left and the other hard right.

I forgot to say in my earlier post that this is another album I've bought three times. Twice on tape and once on CD.
    Welease wrote:
    Have the original Robot picture album on vinyl at home..
    Isn't that just the inside cover of the normal version?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

No
    Got it 4 years ago, Haven't listened to it for a long time. Out Ta Get Me is my favourite tune on it.

No
    Malice wrote: »
    Isn't that just the inside cover of the normal version?

Originally the Robo Rape scene was the front cover until it gained attention from the media and Geffen done an about turn and changed it. I have it on vinyl somewhere with that cover and a load of stickers. Japanese release iirc.

Still have the casstte that i bought all them years ago complete with sides G and R(instead of A & B for the nippers here who don't remember tapes:pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Originally the Robo Rape scene was the front cover until it gained attention from the media and Geffen done an about turn and changed it.
    I knew that alright, I suppose what I should have asked was whether there was some additional artwork that was replaced when the robot pic was moved from the front. I guess if it's vinyl then there was just a front and back so probably not. Were there any tapes issued with different artwork?

No
    I knew that alright, I suppose what I should have asked was whether there was some additional artwork that was replaced when the robot pic was moved from the front. I guess if it's vinyl then there was just a front and back so probably not. Were there any tapes issued with different artwork?

IIRC the robo rape scene was inside the cassette inlay on the one i had. Must dig it up and check it out. Not sure how many cassettes were ever issued with robo scene on the front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

No
    Greatest debut album of all time and my favourite album of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No
    Is this "do you own ....." concept going to get out of control now? 2 now, what's next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No
    Is this "do you own ....." concept going to get out of control now? 2 now, what's next?
    In fairness the two so far were must have albums for any self respecting R&M fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

No
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It sits happily in my top 10 albums of all time. I give it a listen every 2 weeks or so.

Me too.

Bought on casette back in in 87, then gave it my girlfriend's older sister when she was all teary-eyed heading off back packing around Europe.

Bought it shortly after on vinyl and later agin on CD. It's usually the first album that gets trasnferred to any new phone or media playing device that I get.

Sheer kick-ass brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I dont think there is anything majorly different.. The insert on the changed cover version is lots of band photo's and lyrics on the other side..

From what I have read there were only 10,000 copies of the original cover, so it's considerably rarer (given the overall sales of the album globally), and have seen price estimates between $50-250 for it depending on condition. Apparently lots of fakes have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

No
    Originally the Robo Rape scene was the front cover until it gained attention from the media and Geffen done an about turn and changed it. I have it on vinyl somewhere with that cover and a load of stickers. Japanese release iirc.

Still have the casstte that i bought all them years ago complete with sides G and R(instead of A & B for the nippers here who don't remember tapes:pac:).
    IIRC the robo rape scene was inside the cassette inlay on the one i had. Must dig it up and check it out. Not sure how many cassettes were ever issued with robo scene on the front.

I bought it on Vinyl from Golden Discs when it first came out so it has the robo rape scene on the cover. Mine wasn't a Jap release, I believe they pulled the robo rape scene copies from the shops about two weeks after I bought it.

It's a very good album and held such promise for the band, however I didn't like any album after that, just one or two tracks from UYI 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

No
    Like with a Christian and the book of Genesis, this album is as important to me as a Music fan and someone who works in the Media Industry, probably one of the first albums I ever owned to be perfectly honest.

This track, for me, is a rare example of me liking track after track after track and considering it one of the greatest examples of modern music I've ever heard. The only track, mind you, which I don't like is the only song which I believe GNR sort of rarely played live - Anything Goes - it's just never been a song I liked, which is rare, because every one of it's brothers and sisters is a song I love

Great album - 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No
    Like with a Christian and the book of Genesis...
    Nice analogy there, Crue, because similarly to the Book of Genesis (and Christianity as a whole), GNR can also be full of shit.

So, at this point - where I've appeared to insulted two sets of people - I'll get out of here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

No
    Nailz wrote: »
    So, at this point - where I've appeared to insulted two sets of people - I'll get out of here! :)

Get my shotgun....:rolleyes:

*Nobody insults Axl Rose on my watch - even if he does deserve it - I believe we all learned that lesson after the event last year of which we do not speak*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No
    Yep, bought it on cassette shortly after it came out and years later picked it up on CD. I haven't listened to it in a long time, but it's an album that never gets old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Somehow... I don't get emotional when someone mentions Guns'n'Roses. Not my piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

No
    Imo one of the best albums ever made! God i loved being a rocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭G1032

No
    Yes. Own a copy.
    Bought it twice - gave my original copy to a mate and never got it back so bought it again a couple of years ago.

Advertisement