Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops Selling Older (CRT) Televisions?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 4:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

I'm looking for any shops which sell CRT televisions. I know there's the likes of adverts and donedeal but they're not for me; too time consuming and can be a bit frustrating.

The only shop I can think of is Cash Converters. Any others shops around which might be worth checking?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

Madden's maybe? Not sure if its still there. Its just over the bridge from Sober Lane...On the left. Next to Fred Zeplins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

linfield wrote: »
    Madden's maybe? Not sure if its still there. Its just over the bridge from Sober Lane...On the left. Next to Fred Zeplins

Thats gone i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

linfield wrote: »

Jesus Maddens - memories! That was my first job would you believe about 10 years ago - they are gone alright, though the rental business is still afloat I believe. Bizarre how many of the staff have ended up in completly unrelated lines of work. Their only office if your interested in renting is opposite the side of Bank of Ireland on South Mall. Probably cheaper in the long run to just buy one though - have you tried Argos? Amazon may ship as well, not sure what their policy on heavier TVs to Ireland is.

Since I will be shortly upgrading from CRT to plasma/lcd, can I ask why you are staying with CRT? Expense? Loyalty? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Probably making death ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

can't be expense right? The cost of lcd tvs has plummeted so far in the last 2-3 years its almost silly.

Emphasis on contrast ratio/blacks maybe? But led is probably a better choice then. And going cheap too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Only plus I can think of is energy efficiency? Aren't crt's supposed to be cheaper to run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Maddens Ex-Rental is based out by the Driving Licence Test Centre near Wilton. To get there go to the Wilton Shopping centre, go south and over the south link. To your right is a an industrial estate with the first unit being the driving test centre. Turn into the estate there and follow the road. It turns right after a small distance and just after this turn they are an industrial unit on the left. Go the the back of this yard and look around for somebody. They're probably dirt cheap there as I can't imagine them wanting to store loads of CRT Screen TV's - just like I can't imagine many people wanting to hire them when they could get flat-screens instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

migraines and refresh rates maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

OP is clearly looking for a CRT for retro gaming purposes. Old Sega and Nintendo consoles and their games need to be played on the old skool TVs, not naff LCDs & Plasma's.

Thank god for my 32" CRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Cash Converters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

OP is clearly

Clearly! There can be no other logical explanation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    Maddens Ex-Rental is based out by the Driving Licence Test Centre near Wilton. To get there go to the Wilton Shopping centre, go south and over the south link. To your right is a an industrial estate with the first unit being the driving test centre. Turn into the estate there and follow the road. It turns right after a small distance and just after this turn they are an industrial unit on the left. Go the the back of this yard and look around for somebody. They're probably dirt cheap there as I can't imagine them wanting to store loads of CRT Screen TV's - just like I can't imagine many people wanting to hire them when they could get flat-screens instead.

I remember looking for a second hand tv in that place last year. Called out there on 3 or 4 occasions and was always completely locked up and looked like it had been for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

I'm moving out of my current house tommorow and looking to get rid of my Philips 18 crt, would sell for an okay price if you can collect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

maglite wrote: »
    Clearly! There can be no other logical explanation.

While ye are probably right about the gaming...there is one other possible explanation. The picture is actually far superior on CRT tvs than on flatscreens for SD sources. I have a 32" CRT at home and 48" flat screen with Sky HD. On normal SD channels the picture is far better on the CRT than on the flatscreen.

I will never get rid of my CRT until it dies. Actually that is because the thing is WAAAYYYY too heavy to lift :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ludo wrote: »
    While ye are probably right about the gaming...there is one other possible explanation. The picture is actually far superior on CRT tvs than on flatscreens for SD sources. I have a 32" CRT at home and 48" flat screen with Sky HD. On normal SD channels the picture is far better on the CRT than on the flatscreen.

I will never get rid of my CRT until it dies. Actually that is because the thing is WAAAYYYY too heavy to lift :-)

The 48 inch screen LCD will have about 2.25 times the area of the 32 inch CRT, so at SD it may look a bit less sharp anyway than a 32 inch one with both at the same distance. Often CRT tube sizes are not the visible picture measurement either which might actually be a 30 or 31 inch picture.

Different makes of tv can vary as well even with both being LCD, and a 32inch LCD will likely look sharper than a 48 inch LCD at the same distance with both at SD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

OP is clearly looking for a CRT for retro gaming purposes. Old Sega and Nintendo consoles and their games need to be played on the old skool TVs, not naff LCDs & Plasma's.

Thank god for my 32" CRT.

Yes, mainly for older gaming consoles. I find that standard dvds look better on a CRT too, so might use it for that also.

It seems like the Sony Trinitron tvs are well regarded. I'll post a few ads around the place and see if I get any responses. I'm looking for one up to 21", ideally model KV21X5U, as recommended by a few of the posters in the arcade and retro section.

Advertisement