Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Cupcake

Options
  • 30-05-2011 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

I have a receipe that I use for my vanilla cupcakes and use it as a base for orange chocolate chip ones. I want to make chocolate cupcakes can I just add cocoa powder to it and if so how much?

I made some at the weekend using a receipe from hummingbird and they were horrible, soggy and just not nice.

Or anyone have a good receipe for some? I wanted to make these for the weekend for my godsons birthday but dont want to make a test batch before then because I will end up eating them all myself!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've made the Hummingbird ones half a dozen times and they've always turned out absolutely perfectly. You can use cocoa alright. If you still have the Hummingbird book, just check how much they use. I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Maybe it was just me so!

I have two different hummingbird books and they have different receipe's. The one I used was 100g flour and 20g cocoa. The receipe I use for plain cupcakes uses 210g flour so will I add 40g cocoa and hope for the best?!?

Thanks Faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I've a dark chocolate cupcake recipe i've used about 6 times in as many weeks, perfect, deep chocolate flavour but not overly sweet. Happily will share the recipe with you if you're interested. It called for sour cream, think that's what really sets them apart from ordinary chocolate cupcakes. :)

That would be great thank you:D

TillyGirl wrote: »
    That would be great thank you:D

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Bake Time: 18-20 minutes
    Cooling Time: 45 minutes

113g of unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
    50g of bittersweet chocolate, chopped ( I use 60%)
    ½ cup good cocoa powder
    ¾ cup all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¾ teaspoon baking powder
    2 eggs
    ¾ cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ teaspoon table salt
    1/2 cup (150ml) of sour cream

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 180c .Line standard-size cupcake tray with cupcake liners.

2. Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch.

3. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in small bowl to combine.

4. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined, then sift remaining flour mixture over and whisk until batter is homogeneous and thick.

5. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.

6. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.

It really is an absolute winner and they taste even nicer on the second day! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Lornen, they look fab will try those on Saturday and hope for the best! Any quick way to convert to grams rather than cups? Think I have a measuring jug with cup measurements on it.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thanks Lornen, they look fab will try those on Saturday and hope for the best! Any quick way to convert to grams rather than cups? Think I have a measuring jug with cup measurements on it.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

Handy site to bookmark! Do let me know how they turn out! :)
    I made a batch there last week stuffed with a strawberry mousse, came out lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yum strawberry mousse! Have you the recipe?

Just baked a dozen :)

This thread got me in the mood! :pac: I added the zest of one orange as I'm making a chocolate orange cupcake with orange frosting :)

Here they are!

Yum strawberry mousse! Have you the recipe?

This is the recipe I used but I found it didn't set and I had to add 2 sachets of gelatin so it wouldn't seep out of the cupcakes. I also put it in after the mousse was made and a few hours old.. Chanced my arm and it worked out fine so maybe stick it in before it's set :P

For the mousse:

1 pound strawberries
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    4 egg whites
    pinch of salt

In a blender or food processor, puree strawberries with lemon juice and sugar.
    In a mixing bowl beat cream until it is stiff. Gradually and gently mix the whipped cream with the berries.

In another mixing bowl beat egg whites with salt until stiff. Mix one cup of egg whites into berry and cream mixture, and then gently fold this back into egg whites. (If this is not being used as a filling, then refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.)

I really would have hated to see what the mousse would have looked like if I hadn't put the gelatin in.. I can see people biting into the cupcakes and this pink oozing out! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, Tilly, I'd use 40g :).

Advertisement