Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof I only have one account

Options
  • 30-05-2011 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I have been accused several times of having more than one account, by. The same poster.

Is there any way I can demonstrate that this is not the case? It is getting somewhat tiresome and it would be good to prove it once and for all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

How can you prove a negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

create a third account to support your first account's claim of not having a second account. People will totally believe you then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

psni wrote: »
    How can you prove a negative?
    A lot of people seem certain God doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's faith, not proof. Who do they think you are?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Report the post when it happens, if it continues maybe contact one of the admins. Actually this thread should "prove" it. If this accusation has been flying around no doubt an admin has already probedscanned you and saw you're not running two accounts. Even the basic mod tools can spot 90% of dual accounts and admins have even more nefarious means at their disposal. Some of which involve full moons and chicken sacrifice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head, I've been accused of being OS119, getz, KeithAFC and tac foley.

All of which are pretty crazy, but hey, the accuser is into posting some pretty crazy accusations.

I reported a post in the History forum which Dades has since deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why do you need to prove it?

Just ignore them or report the posts.. Simple

Tallon wrote: »
    Why do you need to prove it?

Just ignore them or report the posts.. Simple

Its disruptive to a thread. It isn't constant harassment but it is an easy way to bait someone. I report it but as it isn't an insult there isn't a lot a mod can do.

The guy even PM'd me last time to make sure I didn't miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Then report the PM... Thats bullying!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do continue to report each post accusing you of having more than one account.
    (And maybe drop me a PM).

If the accuser gets sanctioned every time they'll soon grow tired of posting such things in-thread. A quick Mod check shows zero connection with any of the accounts mentioned above, btw.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Do continue to report each post accusing you of having more than one account.
    (And maybe drop me a PM).

If the accuser gets sanctioned every time they'll soon grow tired of posting such things in-thread. A quick Mod check shows zero connection with any of the accounts mentioned above, btw.

I will do.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm pretty sure you're allowed have more than one account anyway as long as none of them are sitebanned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm pretty sure you're allowed have more than one account anyway as long as none of them are sitebanned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076276
    One account per acceptable *reason*.

1. Admin approval or Comm Manager approval...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Its disruptive to a thread. It isn't constant harassment but it is an easy way to bait someone. I report it but as it isn't an insult there isn't a lot a mod can do.

http://www.boards.ie/terms/

4. What you agree to when joining Boards.ie

Boards.ie is made available for your personal, non-commercial use only, except where otherwise authorised by us.

You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:

post illegal Material
    defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others
    identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

report the post - cite point number three in the terms & conditions. If it happens in one of the forums I mod, bans will be handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

tbh wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/terms/

4. What you agree to when joining Boards.ie

Boards.ie is made available for your personal, non-commercial use only, except where otherwise authorised by us.

You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:

post illegal Material
    defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others
    identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

report the post - cite point number three in the terms & conditions. If it happens in one of the forums I mod, bans will be handed out.
    Pretty sure that bit refers to things such as me saying that tbh in real life is Joe Bloggs who lives on 123 fake street Dublin 9.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I think the reason people think you are KeithAFC among others, is you are like a tag team with the same views on everything and just thank each others posts.

Its pretty easy though to prove you arent him, and am not sure why it bothers you?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have conducted a thorough search and can confirm that I have found absolutely no evidence to suggest that Fratton Fred is using a duplicate account and posting as OS119, getz, KeithAFC or tac foley.

Should such accusations and harassment continue, stronger action may be taken against the accuser.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have conducted a thorough search and can confirm that I have found absolutely no evidence to suggest that Fratton Fred is using a duplicate account and posting as OS119, getz, KeithAFC or tac foley.

Should such accusations and harassment continue, stronger action may be taken against the accuser.
    I didn't realise you had an admin account too Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Report the posts, i can understand the "why do you need to prove yourself" idea, and personally its the side i sit in, but i do appreciate that not everyone has the same attitude as i, and that this sort of crap does bother you.

So id say, do as advised and report the posts :)

snyper wrote: »
    Report the posts, i can understand the "why do you need to prove yourself" idea, and personally its the side i sit in, but i do appreciate that not everyone has the same attitude as i, and that this sort of crap does bother you.

So id say, do as advised and report the posts :)

Its not the fact I am accused of being another poster and certainly not a reflection on any of the posters mentioned above.

It is more the way it is done rather than the actual accusation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Maybe you chould open a new account, and delete your existing one. The whoever is accusing you won't know who you are, and the accusations which seem to be irking you will stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

This whole thing reminds me a little of Lance Armstrong publishing his drug test results to prove his innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thanks everyone for clearing up the fact that I only have ONE account.

Regards

Fratton Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Uh oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Off the top of my head, I've been accused of being OS119, getz, KeithAFC and tac foley.
    I'm sorry but all you Brits look the same to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Zaph wrote: »

Good work and delighted for the OP.

I fear that I too will one day be accused of having a duplicate account. Could you share with me how you conducted your thorough search so that I can put these potential accusations to bed early doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

keanooo wrote: »
    Good work and delighted for the OP.

I fear that I too will one day be accused of having a duplicate account. Could you share with me how you conducted your thorough search so that I can put these potential accusations to bed early doors.

well, the first step is we check if the poster has broken the "dont be a dick" rule.

Then we see how many times they've broken it.

then we check to see if they've made any suggestions that they would open another account specifically to troll

then we look to see if the poster has posted to any old threads recently

the rest is all techy mumbo-jumbo

any particular reason why you want us to check if you have multiple accounts?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

kof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

LOL. The proof is in the pudding..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement