Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

results

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Does anyone know if we can or how to repeat a module voluntarily even though you didn't fail the module ?

Will the grade be capped at 2.0 even though the original grade is higher ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

MacieC wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we can or how to repeat a module voluntarily even though you didn't fail the module ?
    You can't. Repeats are capped anyway so there would be no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

corkman123 wrote: »
    but what if you have 45 credits, 3 e's and gpa greater than 2.0?.. cant you carry on to stage 2 with being able to compensate the three e grades?

No, you have to have passed 75% of modules from that stage, as well as having a GPA of 2.0 or greater, to compensate any E's. 75% of 12 modules (standard stage 1) = 9 modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

4.0 exactly! bits tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

but does 75% allow you to get grade e in three modules??...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

GPA of 3.65, all A's and B's of various sorts,except for one C+! Disapointed to have gotten so close to a 1.1, fingers crossed a 2.1 will be good enough for the Masters I've applied for!

but does 75% allow you to get grade e in three modules??...

I don't fully understand what you're asking here.

Basically, to compensate an E you need to have passed 75% of that stage's modules as well as maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or above. Therefore the most you can compensate is 15 credits (or three 5 credit modules) in any given stage.

In your case you got 3 E's and an F, I believe? As a result you have not passed enough modules to be able to compensate the E's, as you failed 4 modules. Which means you will not have passed enough modules to be able to continue to the next stage.

Does that clear it up for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

yea thanks... i plan on repeating the module that i got a grade f in at christmas so i can compensate the other 3 .. shame i cant progress to stage 2 though!! i know for sure i will be unable to get a grant in september cause il be still in stage one but wondering if it is possible to get one after xmas as i would then be in stage 2?

yea thanks... i plan on repeating the module that i got a grade f in at christmas so i can compensate the other 3 .. shame i cant progress to stage 2 though!! i know for sure i will be unable to get a grant in september cause il be still in stage one but wondering if it is possible to get one after xmas as i would then be in stage 2?

I'm afraid I don't know much about grants so can't answer that question.

If I were you I would retake one or two of the E's as well, as a a P(C) has a GPA of 1.6 while a P(R) is capped at 2.0. It could make a difference in the long run. Although if you are able to take some stage two modules next semester as Sad Professor suggested in the other thread you might have enough on your plate.

Good luck either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Would just like to say - I DID IT!!!!!!!!!
    All the blood sweat and nights of tears that went into this degree, I was so sure I was going back to repeat at Xmas and make a hash of the whole damn degree after those exams, but - I did it!! Not in style, not with panache or flair, but I did it, and for this poor soul, that alone is achievement enough....I am so shocked, genuinely was in the mindset I'd have to repeat next semester. But I don't have to, so screw you theta, damn you gamma and b*gger you lamda! Up yours monetary policy, budget constraints, regression analysis, indifference curves! Take that Friedman, Malthus, Smith, Nash! Good riddance to you differentiation, pups to you bond yields, oh and micro? Quants? Go die:) And bye bye UCD yippeeeeeee

*does victory dance around office*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Yeah 2.1 is 3.08 + unfortunately... check the link in my post above. Anything you think is worth appealing to try and get it up to a 2.1?

Edit: Did you get an E or and F in the one you failed? Even if you got an E I suggest repeating it rather than compensating, as the GPA for a P(C) is 1.6 while a P(R) is capped at 2, so that might get you over the line. Will give you some extra work going into next year, but would be worth it in the long run imo.

Congrats on the results :)

I managed to get a G in that elective. :(

I'm going on Erasmus next year so dunno what I'll do about the elective!

I managed to get a G in that elective. :(

I'm going on Erasmus next year so dunno what I'll do about the elective!

I'm not sure what happens then either... maybe you can carry it on to the semester when you get back? Or maybe there is the the possibility of doing an essay or something instead. I'm really not sure how it works. Your best bet is to contact your progammes office or student advisor and they will know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what happens then either... maybe you can carry it on to the semester when you get back? Or maybe there is the the possibility of doing an essay or something instead. I'm really not sure how it works. Your best bet is to contact your progammes office or student advisor and they will know what happens.

Cheers. The Programme Office said that I'll have to either repeat it or pick another elective the year I come back from Erasmus.

Looks like I'll be doing 4 electives for the final year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ucd11

With 2 F's and and 4 E's, will I have to repeat all 6 next semester 1, or just 3 of them (2 f's and and E) and compensate the other 3?
    Also can I contact the programme office by email?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ucd11 wrote: »
    With 2 F's and and 4 E's, will I have to repeat all 6 next semester 1, or just 3 of them (2 f's and and E) and compensate the other 3?
    Thanks
    Well, technically you can repeat all 6 if you want, but there's no point if you can get 3 of them compensated.

Brilliant news, thank you! :D Definitely don't wan't to pay an unnecessary €690!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thanks

Your GPA has to be over 2.0 to be able to compensate.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Your GPA has to be over 2.0 to be able to compensate.

Yeah my GPA is over 2.0! :) Thanks for the help everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

pretty gutted with my results :(

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

So relieved. Passed everything got a GPA of 3.52. So happy as I passed my repeat from last year and passed Compiler Construction. Now I can go into fourth year with out repeats feels good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 confusedperson

Well I'm flipped ! Really despising doing this course in UCD now. Pray for me those who do please. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

2.47. Disgusted.. at least I passed, right?

Ruski wrote: »

Why are you asking us? You are the one that can see your results :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ruski wrote: »

You're in 1st year TP right? Relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I got 3.6 this semester,and 3.7 last semester,which puts me on a 3.65 overall.Don't get me wrong,they're great results,but I'm pretty fed up to be so close to a first and yet so far.:(

Mind you,that's worth 50% of my degree and isn't my final outcome,so I may be able to pull off a first next year.Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Slippers wrote: »
    A+ Game Theory
    A- Advanced Macroeconomics

GPA 4.1

Thought I would get an A+ in Macro, Game Theory was the one I was worried about.

Talked to my Macro lecturer. Turns out, out of 88 I was the only one who got 100 on the midterm and the final. One more A+ makes my GPA 4.17.

Phew! The best economics PhDs are extremely competitive and I only got 42.8% on the final year of my degree and 3.08 on my higher diploma so I need every A+ I can get.

If I repeat the 3, allowing me to compensate the other 3, will I pass by compensation at Christmas or will I have to wait until the end of the year to compensate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

If I repeat the 3, allowing me to compensate the other 3, will I pass by compensation at Christmas or will I have to wait until the end of the year to compensate?

It depends what stage you're in. I had a friend who got an E in first year, but it was compensated. I got two in second year however, and because second and third are the same stage they weren't compensated until after the summer exams at the end of third year

damselnat wrote: »
    It depends what stage you're in. I had a friend who got an E in first year, but it was compensated. I got two in second year however, and because second and third are the same stage they weren't compensated until after the summer exams at the end of third year

I'm doing medicine, so all the stages are separate so it should be fine! Thanks for the reply! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement